best affordable CD player for analog output

m54

You could also try the Sony SCD-CE595. It plays SACDs and sounds pretty darn good with Redbook CDs for only $150. The SACD playback is excellent for that price. However, Ive also heard the Jolida JD-100, and if I had the choice, I would probably go with the Jolida, only because it sounds especially good with Redbook CD, which is what most of my music is in.

"The AH! Njoe Tjob 4000 is based on a consumer grade CD player, but from what I have read the transport is suppose to be the same transport that is used in very high dollor units. I also have read that the case and the transport are the only things they use of the Marantz CD-4000 consumer grade unit".....

Yep, that's basically it. The Ah! resembles the Marantz CD 4000 in outer look only. Pick that sucker up, and you'll realize there's a whooooole lot in there extra added from the folks at Ah!.

Lots of cool upgrades for this machine, too - I want to get the upsampler chip for this.

You know I have thought about upgradeing my AH! Njoe Tjoe 4000 with the 24/192 upsampler, but at $349 extra that is hard to spend it already sounds great the way it is.I have heard that the upsampler takes it to a higher level, but how much of a higher level, I mean I can put a DCC cd remastered by Steve Hoffman and it's like the artists are right in the room with you, and that is with no $349. upgrade.1.gif

I was at the local Best buy today and saw the Toshiba #3960 DVD that cost around $50 and everyone talks about sounding so good. The unit was so thin ( about a inch) that it is hard to beleive anyone could do a lot of tweaking with so little room under the hood, but I quess people do, it did look nice for the money with its silver case, if I just needed a CDP I would probably buy it.2.gif

"The Nakamichi OMS-7AII - Nuff said! This unit was $2K new and is smooth as silk sounding. Built when Nak was on top of their game."

I would second this if yuou can find a good one Both of mine have turned bad and need new lazers.

but they did last foe years and years and had a real warm nice sound.

Now I am also on the hunt for a good replament.

Randy, Audible

the upsampler for the AH! is well worth it, especially if your units are burned in. My biggest problem was the long burn in time with the tubes (over 300 hours) and during this time I pulled the upsampler out, thinking there wasn't a difference, as I had bought the entire shooting match from the get-go.

However, once the AH morphed after burn in, and I was floored over the difference, I put the upsampler back in, and noticed more detail while keeping the analog sound. The soundstage was fuller, and everything was less "bloated"..

Anyway, this from a guy that was gonna send the thing back to Kev at Upscale Audio..I was disappointed, but he came thru, making me a deal to listen to it past the recommended 200 hour burn in..then the thing took off! Like I said, if you guys are past the burn in, you'll like the difference the upsampler makes!

Of course, with the extra cost, I guess we go way over the 600.00 budget this thread started with!

Steve

Steve,

Glad to hear you like the upsampler in the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 I was wondering what people thought about it, I did a search on a couple of forums and not much was said good or bad about it. I have bought a number of items from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio over the last five years or so and I must say he has always treated me good with what I purchased, but I was having trouble forking over $349 for another circuit board to make my CDP sound better, but maybe it is worth it.

----------------

On 3/23/2005 2:02:54 AM Randy Taylor wrote:

Steve,

Glad to hear you like the upsampler in the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 I was wondering what people thought about it, I did a search on a couple of forums and not much was said good or bad about it. I have bought a number of items from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio over the last five years or so and I must say he has always treated me good with what I purchased, but I was having trouble forking over $349 for another circuit board to make my CDP sound better, but maybe it is worth it.

----------------

Randy,

Do you think that Kevin Deal would give you a price break if you bought more than one? I just bought an AH 4000 and would like to eventually get an Upsampler.

Chris

I'am glad you found yourself a AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000, have you heard one before, they have a nice sound to them without the upsampler. I might get a upsampler someday, but it will be a while, things for me have been a little tight for me in the last year, maybe this fall. I noticed that the Toshiba #3960 DVD that everyone is talking about has the 24/192 upsampler already built in and the whole thing is $50.( go figure), i'am sure it dosn't sound as good as the AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 with or without the upsampler. Good luck with your new CDP.1.gif