Gimme your top 5

rplace

Time to combine the HT experience with your love for Klipsch speakers.

So lets hear your top five movies about music. They dont have to be exclusively about an artist or group, but should have a musical slant. What does not count is a movie that just has a good soundtrack.

1. Almost Famous

2. High Fidelity

3. Ray

4. Spinal Tap

5. Rock Star

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About music? Hmmm... I guess since the only one I've seen is The Doors, it would have to be "The Doors in spot 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Now, if you ask, what movie that was heavily music OTHER than concert DVDs?

Moulin Rouge

Chicago.

Moulin Rouge is an incredible movie. I had no idea that Ewan McGregor could sing his *** off. If you have any appreciation for music and want to hear what your system can and can't do? Moulan Rouge is a great movie to find out. That's just my opinion however. Take it with a grain of salt.

Tough choice and there is a fine line between concert films and movies about music. For instance Led Zeppelin Song Remains the Same is disqualified because it's mainly a concert film. However, U2's Rattle and Hum is primarily a Rockumentary - being the making of an album so I included it. Grey area... Would Steely Dan Two against Nature count? prob not in my book.

1.Pink Floyd - the Wall

2.Tommy - hadn't seen this classic mentioned yet (Rock Opera, but not concert)

3.U2 Rattle and Hum

4.Spinal Tap

5.The Doors - fantastic Morrison look-alike

Hon Mention- Blues Brothers, Sound of Music

Michael

Movies about music are much like movies about sports - hard to do, and usually the genuine article is preferred. I generally would rather watch sports than movies about sports (same with music). Usually, these attempts come across as "cheesy". There are occasional exceptions.

The Wall

A Chorus Line

The Doors

Bittersweet Motel (Phish) - The "Great Went" footage is worth it alone

The Jazz Singer

Ray looks very promising - haven't seen it yet.

Since we already breached the music video area - and since there is nothing better than live performance, Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense is the SUPREME live concert video. In 20 years, nothing else beats it - although the reissue of "The Last Waltz" comes close. SMS will make you go "Crosseyed and Painless"9.gif