Would you even plug this in?

Klipschfoot

This may be a desireable amp but leave it on for 48 hours and sleep soundly? Did the seller go to work those days?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50593&item=5760794640&rd=1 Am I missing something?

(I thought of this when I read PR's HeadPre (nice name, huh?) photos but did not want to sully his thread with photos of this rust bucket. Nice of me, no?)

----------------

On 3/16/2005 10:27:34 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

This may be a desireable amp but leave it on for 48 hours and sleep soundly? Did the seller go to work those days?

**Could be some retired guy...messes with audio....

Am I missing something?

**?!

(I thought of this when I read PR's HeadPre (nice name, huh?) photos but did not want to sully his thread with photos of this rust bucket. Nice of me, no?)

***The lams look pretty bad on that iron.

----------------

I'll bet that's mostly surface rust on the trannies, enterprising guy get it right off. Replace the can caps and rectifier diodes, fire it up. My HF-81 didn't look much better than that when I got it, pretty nice now. If I wasn't so buried I'd think about grabbing that myself.

I might pass on that, you know that cap smoke smells so bad....

I wonder if the guy really just plugged it in and left it for two days?

I wouldn't mind rebuilding one of those. SS rectified, but I've heard several times that they're pretty sweety when they're fixed up. I wonder if a guy could slip in a little choke after those diodes....

----------------

On 3/16/2005 11:33:58 PM NOSValves wrote:

Tom,

but would you fire here right up out of the box
2.gif

Craig

----------------

hell ive been there and done that with a dynaco mkIII.let me tell you i'll never do that again.theres nothing like a filter cap blowing up and leaving a nice new fragrance throughout the house.2.gif after probally not being plugged in for years.i also had a hallicrafters sx100(notorius for running hot)burn the power transformer up on me one night after falling asleep and leaving it on.needless to say that one also filled the house with smoke.when my dad came downstairs and woke me up to find out if i had left anything on obviously i said no i turned the radio off since when i looked at it it was off(duh)so to this day even if an amp or radio is up to par i wont leave any tube equiptment on unless im awake and i'll use a variac for those unknown amps i get from others.

chris

chris

----------------

On 3/17/2005 9:53:59 AM NOSValves wrote:

Chris,

Are you a Ham operator? If so watch the airwaves for KC8FBR that would be my father.

Craig

----------------

craig,

no im not but i used to do alot of monitoring on the hambands. since this audio bug bit years ago i have not done much shortwave listening or anything like that.i still have a few receivers including a drake r8 and a couple drake 2b's and a couple rca ar88lf's but have long since sold many more including the sx100 that burnt up on me.ill keep that callsign in mind though should i start monitoring again,.thanks,

chris

I have a Hallicrafters SX-62 sitting in my storage building. I was hoping to use the PS iron out of it on some project, but haven't be able to find the ratings on it. It needs too much other work for me to fix up, and my other hobbies cost enough as is. Last time I moved it I almost killed my back.

Marvel

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:25:10 AM Marvel wrote:

I have a Hallicrafters SX-62 sitting in my storage building. I was hoping to use the PS iron out of it on some project, but haven't be able to find the ratings on it. It needs too much other work for me to fix up, and my other hobbies cost enough as is. Last time I moved it I almost killed my back.

Marvel

----------------

nice receiver and to top it off a push pull 6v6 power amplifier.i had the sx62a(forget the differences)and enjoyed it very much.i sure wish i would have kept it.i think the only other manufacturer to offer push pull amplifers in theyre receivers was national.take a 12'coaxial hooked up to one of them and the fidelity was incredible.i have also an old natioal hro m with the vernier tuning dial and plug in coils talk about nostalgic.

depending on how much work you sx62 needs it'd be a shame to scrap it for the power supply.you could probally find a buyer on ebay who'd bring it back to oprerational status but then agian shipping these boatanchors can be a pain.

chris

p.s ill see if i can find my manual and let you know the power transformer specs.

I'd say if the Iron is good the buyer is handy the amps worth about $300 max. The Iron worth $200 if good. This is not a amp someone should buy if there not up to restoring themselves for sure. Paying someone to resurrect this beast would be expensive.

Craig