Cornwall or Cornwall II verification -- orig owner

bchulett

I'm a new member on the forums. I purchased a pair of Cornwall's in Birchwood back in August 1980, from the Federated Group. At the time, I absolutely thought these were the best sounding speakers aside from some of the other Klipsch offerings...

The name tags read:

Type: CBR

Serial: 244796 & 244797

Inspected: Bill Gibson

Tested: NW Bradford

Question:

Are these Cornwall's or Cornwall II's ?

All the information on this site points to Cornwall since I purchased them in 1980. However, in my original warranty/product envelope, I have a document titled "Instructions For Cornwall II".

Thanks.

PS - these are in showroom condition. I still have the original Klipsch boxes stored in the rafters in my garage 2.gif

Better minds will chime in but...I don't think there were Cornwall IIs in 1980...the boxes will say Cornwall or Cornwall II, the back of the speakers should say Cornwall or Cornwall II where the speaker wires connect and on the label...I would say you have Cornwalls...can you tell if the mid horn squawker is metal or plastic/composite??? Metal is Cornwall, composite Cornwall II...

Bill

Bill,

This is why I'm confused ... the labels say Cornwall but appears the mid horn is plastic composite... looking at it through the front. I have really never removed the rear panels so I don't know what else to look for.

When I bought these I thought it was odd the instructions said Cornwall II.

Bob

----------------

On 3/19/2005 12:28:56 PM silversport wrote:

... the back of the speakers should say Cornwall or Cornwall II where the speaker wires connect and on the label...I would say you have Cornwalls...can you tell if the mid horn squawker is metal or plastic/composite??? Metal is Cornwall, composite Cornwall II...

Bill

----------------

----------------

On 3/19/2005 12:24:09 PM bchulett wrote:

I'm a new member on the forums. I purchased a pair of Cornwall's in Birchwood back in August 1980, from the Federated Group. At the time, I absolutely thought these were the best sounding speakers aside from some of the other Klipsch offerings...

The name tags read:

Type: CBR

Serial: 244796 & 244797

Inspected: Bill Gibson

Tested: NW Bradford

Question:

Are these Cornwall's or Cornwall II's ?

All the information on this site points to Cornwall since I purchased them in 1980. However, in my original warranty/product envelope, I have a document titled "Instructions For Cornwall II".

Thanks.

PS - these are in showroom condition. I still have the original Klipsch boxes stored in the rafters in my garage
2.gif

----------------

these are cornwall 1's. if you purchased these NEW in 1980 then the second 4 in the serial number is actually a U. 24U796& 7. they did use plastic for the midrange horn in the early 80's. 401, 501, 601, 701 were all plastic

----------------

On 3/19/2005 12:45:23 PM bchulett wrote:

Bill,

This is why I'm confused ... the labels say Cornwall but appears the mid horn is plastic composite... looking at it through the front. I have never removed the rear panels so I don't know what else to look for.

When I bought these I thought it was odd the instructions said Cornwall II.

Bob

Bob:

If you can access the speakers from the rear, ie: The rear door comes off...you have Cornwalls...I am pretty sure (at least with Heresys I am sure) that the II speakers are loaded from the front and sealed enclosures...the originals are rear openers and attached from the inside...

Stick around...this place is great for learning!

Bill

Thanks for all the responses!

The sales receipt and the warranty card was filled out incorrectly by The Fed Group salesman because the hand written "u" on the Klipsch name tag label kinda looks like the "4".

Now that I've got that straightened out, here are the correct numbers:

Serial: 24u796 & 24u797

These open up in the back so I guess I have Cornwalls with plastic mid horns as well. I was curious as to the differences in sound and component quality between the Corn 1 & 2. Several years ago I decided to build my home theather system around them.

Configuartion:

Mains: Cornwalls (black satin)

Center: KV3

Surrounds: KG1.5

Sub: KSW200

All connected to Yamaha DSP A-1 Gold via Monster Power and cable. I also had my electrician wire a hospital grade dedicated circuit with an isloated ground to provide clean power.

I'm open to suggestions... anything you would have done different for improvement?

I have an extra pair of KG1.5s sitting in the boxes... and was considering placing them upside down on top of the Cornwalls. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks,

Bob

----------------

On 3/19/2005 2:13:14 PM silversport wrote:

If you can access the speakers from the rear, ie: The rear door comes off...you have Cornwalls...I am pretty sure (at least with Heresys I am sure) that the II speakers are loaded from the front and sealed enclosures...the originals are rear openers and attached from the inside...

Stick around...this place is great for learning!

Bill

----------------

Do you mean replace the Cornwalls with RF-7s ? ... or use the 1.5s for front effects?

I actually purchased the extra pair of 1.5s to use for front effects but never installed them.

Thanks.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 7:51:48 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Keep the 1.5s for when you move up to 7.1 IMO YMMV.

----------------

Do you have K57 or K55 midrange drivers? K77 or K79 tweeters?

Also the serial number may be stamped on the back edge of the top panel. Letters are about 3/8" high. That might clarify the SN question. If have K57 and or K79 with removeable back cabinet yours is one of the Cornwall 1.5's, but I think that occured in the mid 80's.

Michael- a Cornwall collector

----------------

On 3/19/2005 6:09:05 PM bchulett wrote:

Thanks for all the responses!

The sales receipt and the warranty card was filled out incorrectly by The Fed Group salesman because the hand written "u" on the Klipsch name tag label kinda looks like the "4".

Now that I've got that straightened out, here are the correct numbers:

Serial: 24u796 & 24u797

These open up in the back so I guess I have Cornwalls with plastic mid horns as well.....

Thanks,

Bob

--------------

What you have is an Klipsch experiment.

I own 3 pairs of Cornwalls, 2 of them "U" 1980 Models. And have owned several others over the years.

The serial numbers for my 1st pair starts 24U753.

The serial numbers for my 2st pair starts 25U700.

This brackets your pair.

Both my pair have metal horns.

All the records I have show that the K601 plastic horn did not enter production (emphasize production) until some time in 1984. I've been tracking Cornwalls for years.

It would be interesting and helpful to know what drivers and crossover you have?? Have you taken the backs off and looked inside? Pictures would help, if you interested.

Mike

Greetings:

Since it has been established that you have Cornwalls, by the "u" and removable back the best things to do are check all coonections.

Look for any Oxidation, loosening, check your crossovers - any leaking caps, Oxidation.

Some say add some internal bracing to what is there to reduce resonance. Check the search for Cornwall mods and see if there is anything that may strike your fancy.

Are you happy with the overall sound?

dodger

Mike,

An experimental set?... what's the chances of that happening? I realize I said I never removed the back panels before, but if I recall correctly, many years ago before finishing them, I believe I did briefly remove the back panel on just one out of curiosity---just to take a peek. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

I would like to know what's inside, but I don't know if I should take the chance and remove the rear panel. These basically have not been disturbed... the only time they've been moved was into the garage for a brief period to finish them.

As soon as I get the courage, I'll post some pics.

Thanks!

Bob

----------------

On 3/21/2005 4:15:04 PM Good2BHome wrote:

What you have is an Klipsch experiment.

I own 3 pairs of Cornwalls, 2 of them "U" 1980 Models. And have owned several others over the years.

The serial numbers for my 1st pair starts 24U753.

The serial numbers for my 2st pair starts 25U700.

This brackets your pair.

Both my pair have metal horns.

All the records I have show that the K601 plastic horn did not enter production (emphasize production) until some time in 1984. I've been tracking Cornwalls for years.

It would be interesting and helpful to know what drivers and crossover you have?? Have you taken the backs off and looked inside? Pictures would help, if you interested.

Mike

----------------

Dodger,

Thanks for the suggestions... to say that I like the overall sound is an understatement. I'm on a raised foundation with hardwood floors. My Cornwalls can make the whole house vibrate when pushed. When I use DSP, let's say when playing Nora Jones in concert at the Roxy Theatre, I feel she's sitting right in front of me.

The only thing I've considered is better isolating the speakers from the floor... like maybe retrofit adjustable isolators similar to the ones I have on my Lovan racks and surround stands. Right now they still have the round metal feet embedded in the wood.. the way they came from the factory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

----------------

On 3/21/2005 4:39:49 PM dodger wrote:

Greetings:

Since it has been established that you have Cornwalls, by the "u" and removable back the best things to do are check all coonections.

Look for any Oxidation, loosening, check your crossovers - any leaking caps, Oxidation.

Some say add some internal bracing to what is there to reduce resonance. Check the search for Cornwall mods and see if there is anything that may strike your fancy.

Are you happy with the overall sound?

dodger

----------------

Michael,

I think I have clarity on the SN issue. And you're correct, the SNs are stamped on the edge of the back panels... right above the speaker connections. They also have "USA" stamped on the same edge but in the right upper corner.

I don't know what I have in midrange drivers (you mean horn right?) or tweeters... how would I find out? I guess I need to remove the back panel take pics and post them. What's a Cornwall 1.5?

Thanks,

Bob

----------------

On 3/20/2005 4:26:31 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Do you have K57 or K55 midrange drivers? K77 or K79 tweeters?

Also the serial number may be stamped on the back edge of the top panel. Letters are about 3/8" high. That might clarify the SN question. If have K57 and or K79 with removeable back cabinet yours is one of the Cornwall 1.5's, but I think that occured in the mid 80's.

Michael- a Cornwall collector

----------------

----------------

On 3/23/2005 12:59:12 AM bchulett wrote:

Mike,

An experimental set?... what's the chances of that happening? I realize I said I never removed the back panels before, but if I recall correctly, many years ago before finishing them, I believe I did briefly remove the back panel on just one out of curiosity---just to take a peek. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't know what to look for anyway.

I would like to know what's inside, but I don't know if I should take the chance and remove the rear panel. These basically have not been disturbed... the only time they've been moved was into the garage for a brief period to finish them.

As soon as I get the courage, I'll post some pics.

Thanks!

Bob

----------------

Bob, the chances are excellent!! Klipsch made running changes and backed off many times, experiments, parts availability, etc.

Removing / replacing the backs will not harm the speakers, just go slow and the necessary moves should be obvious, (in fact it is part of the secret induction to the Klipsch Forum).

Klipsch production information is like peeling an onion.

Mike

If you got hardwood floors i would try Grippers from wal-mart just pull out the sliders or put the Grippers on top of them. This idea came from Andy..HDBR.. he use to work at Hope he had me try this idea on my Scalas and although i didnt A-B test the idea i think it helps.Maybe you could A-B test it put Grippers on one speaker and listen see if it works for you.Rick