• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 3/21/2005 12:30:34 PM Colin wrote:

...only Howard is not subtle. He sells the French made Audio Refinement front-end, with the French made Focal JMlabs speakers. So take his advice judiciously. They know what they are doing there...

----------------

Included in a number of amplifiers I own, I have an Atoll Electronique IN50 Integrated solid state amplifier. It's beautifully made and the sound quality matches it's looks. This little amplifer sounds really good with my Klipschorns. Somewhere or other I posted a pic on this forum. This amp is a good alternative to the British Creek and Musical Fidelity range.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't mean to wake up a dead topic... but I feel that recognition was due.

First, the bad news: I sent the Electras back. Took a bad hit in the stock market (yeah, yeah... what was I doing there in the first place!?!), so I can't afford them. But the main reason was that no matter how good they looked or sounded, i couldn't justify their performance-for-price ratio to myself. That coupled with the fact that I would really have to plug in good money into the electronics didn't sit well with me.

However, having said all of this, it was one sweet pair of speakers which I spent a good couple of weeks listening to thoroughly. Ran through many many cd's that I know well, and started to really get used to and warm up to the sound that so effortlessly poured from the speakers. In the end, I did find the bass a little heavy but...... Alas, I drift into a non-Klipsch review on a Klipsch forum, so I'll stop right there.

However, onto the recognition that I spoke about earlier: After a good two weeks of silence from my KHorns, I powered them back up a couple of nights ago. Hats off to PWK and then all of you who have veered me into this direction. After spending so much time dedicated to listening to another pair of "High End" speakers, I have really found appreciation for my KHorns in a way that I didn't think was possible.

I strongly suggest to anyone out there who is starting to get blase about their home setup. Find a high end store that is willing to in-home audition a pair of their best speakers at your place, and shut down your Klipsch system for a few days. Talk about baptism by fire!

Somehow, though, my wife didn't appreciate me telling her that it was a good idea to go out and audition other things to appreciate what you have at home... Wonder why?11.gif

Later,

-F

----------------

On 3/21/2005 10:50:55 AM Royster wrote:

I also am not a fan of the French. They can keep thier antiamerican attitude. Let me check, do i have any sissy made components? Nope, all my speakers were made in HOPE.
9.gif

----------------

it seems that you ve more the "antifrench attitude" then we have the antiamerican atitude9.gif

----------------

On 3/21/2005 1:52:32 PM ironwoods wrote:

Hi, do they make their own drivers, or are the drivers they use, also used by other high-end speaker manufacturers?

----------------

in fact JM LAB make their own driver.

they also sell driver under the brand "FOCAL".

----------------

On 4/5/2005 7:14:34 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

This is irony. As soon as I read this thread this AM I thought "I wonder if Doudou is reading." Ya know folks, this is a worldwide forum
4.gif

----------------

i m here2.gif

it seems that every one here have found that french also make some good amps and speakers9.gif

if you want some other good french brands:

triangle, ellipson, cabasse, waterfall...

----------------

On 4/5/2005 7:32:22 AM doudou wrote:

it seems that every one here have found that french also make some good amps and speakers
9.gif

if you want some other good french brands:

triangle, ellipson, cabasse, waterfall...

----------------

doudou, No doubt that they are quality French speakers for those whose ears match the warm European sound. But, for the price of a pair of JM Labs Grand Utopias I could have what, 10 pairs of brand new Klipschorns?

And personally, I don't like the looks of a speaker that sits out in the middle of the room and looks down on you. That includes the Wilsons. Makes me want to get up and whack them! ( A little bit of the old, younger, antiauthoritarian me coming out here.)

To paraphrase Patrick Henry, "but as for me, give me Klipschorns or give me deaf."2.gif

Rick

----------------

On 4/5/2005 8:43:30 AM 3dzapper wrote:

doudou, No doubt that they are quality French speakers for those whose ears match the warm European sound. But, for the price of a pair of JM Labs Grand Utopias I could have what, 10 pairs of brand new Klipschorns?

Rick

----------------

i agree the grand utopia are expansive.i think it cannot be compared to a khorn.

there were not built with the same philosophy.

and you all speak about the grand utopia but jmlab don t make only the utopia line.and in the utopia there is not only the grand utopia.

the rest of the jmlab line is not as expensive as klipsch here in france, for example a pair of klipsch horn cost about 9000euros(10500$) and even a synergy setup cost more than 1500$ without amp.

last but not least:don t forget the name utopia was not choose for nothing by jmlab.here is the reason why there are so expensive.

One local high-end shop carries Klipsch and has recently added JM Lab. Heard them being auditioned but didn't pay that much attention, very expensive. Did own some French made Triangles before returning to Klipsch. Damn nice speakers and efficient too. For $2000-2500 you can own their newest offerings at their mid-level price point. Sound good, yes, but they will not fill a room like the Heritage line.

My brother loves his '98 Triangle Zephyr II towers...their sensitivity is only 91dB at 4 ohms, but they're smooth as silk and extremely dynamic. Imaging is impeccable, and without his SVS PB12-ISD/2 sub, the Zephyrs can play damn low for a 6" paper-cone woofer!

Viva la Triangles!2.gif

triangle_PB12-ISD2.jpg

post-11084-13819263477038_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 4/5/2005 3:57:58 PM jt1stcav wrote:

My brother loves his '98 Triangle Zephyr II towers...their sensitivity is only 91dB at 4 ohms, but they're smooth as silk and extremely dynamic. Imaging is impeccable, and without his SVS PB12-ISD/2 sub, the Zephyrs can play damn low for a 6" paper-cone woofer!

Viva la Triangles!
2.gif

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/triangle_PB12-ISD2.jpg">

----------------

Mine were the Celius model, 2x-6.5" woofers, 1x-6.5" midrange and an upgraded titanium tweeter from the one in the Zephyr. They did all you say and more. Particulary the Celius with that 6.5" mid range driver. They are indeed nice and I would give serious thought to the new Stratos line from Triangle. A pair of the mid level Stratos vs. the RF-7 would be very interesting.

----------------

On 4/6/2005 8:44:02 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Then I assume you no longer own the Celius. I like the latest Triangle models (with their horn tweeters), but they're out of my reach cash-wise...
15.gif

----------------

Correct, sold them for Forte 1 when getting back on the Klipsch bandwagon. You would be surprised how well the Forte compared to the Celius and for way less than half the price at the time. I sold them when they were a hot item and nearly got all my money back, timing is everything. A comparison of Celius and RF-7 would be very interesting.

On the subject of Triangles I have now heard samples of each of their ranges, culminating in this:

concerto-sanscache.jpg

Actually the ones I heard were in a different and much nicer finish (a darker wood).

Even over here - with Triangle pricing being somewhat less than in the US these are a rather steep 15,000 Euros (about $20,000) retail. They are very tall (57 inches) and create a huge soundstage with incredible depth due to the rear firing driver. I would put the soundstage somewhere between the KHorn and the RF7.

Sonically they are not a million miles away from the Klipsch sound - maybe slightly softer and more musical but, despite the specs, they are not the basiest of speakers I have heard (http://www.triangle-fr.com/uk/enceinte-magellan.php?modele=concerto) but they would be fine for me I think.

OF course to you guys the pricing is outrageous - but over here a KHorn is 16,000 Euros brand new retail - so we are in the ballpark.

What is interesting, in comparison with the US, is the respect the KHorns have over here. I spoke to the dealer about the speaker and mentioned that sonically they resemble the KHorn in many ways.

I half expected him to explode (he doesnt carry Klipsch) but he didn't at all. In fact he was full of praise for the KHorn rating it as one of the all time great speakers. He had even tried KHorns at home for a while on his own system - giving them up because he found them tiring after long listening spells.

Now OK - that was a subtle dig at the speaker - but it was done in a clever way - not the "klipsch are crap" kinda way you guys seem to come up against and frankly I believe his story - they are not for everyone and he certainly agreed that in terms of presenting a "live event" there is nothing like a KHorn.

Still - this is just not the kind of money I am going to throw in the direction of speakers just yet. After we buy a house (SWMBO is itching to move) we will have to see if there are corners available and then....who knows?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've always been very impressed with these lil' Zephyr towers...since my bro just bought an entire Defintive Technologies surround setup (LF-C-RF-LS-RS) for his system, I'm now borrowing the Triangles in place of the Athena AS-F2s...DAMN!6.gif

These old Triangles never cease to amaze me! They reproduce music with such clarity and smoothness that even surpasses the larger, newer Athenas. And talking about bass output, these 6" impregnated-paper cone woofers with folded paper surrounds like my Cornwalls, are rated at 45Hz-20kHz +/-3dB (as opposed to 35Hz for the AS-F2s), but sound much deeper than the dual 8" polypropylene woofers! Don't know if the port opening being close to the Zephyr's base has anything to do with the lower sounding bass output, but bass is definately more pronounced and tight with the Triangles than with the Athenas, who's port is much higher/closer to the tower's midsection. I think that even the Cornwall's bass output from their 15" woofers don't sound as pronounced as from the Zephyrs, at least in this tiny music room I have! Treble response is just as clear and shimmering as with the Athenas (but without the harshness from the Cornwall's horns in a small environment like my room). I do wish they were more sensitive than their 91dB rating, but my 300B SET amp seems to manage driving them to at least 90dB without strain. Overall, I'm quite pleased...they're not my Cornwalls, but they're nice nonetheless.2.gif