Into the deep with headphones

----------------

On 5/26/2005 3:12:28 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 5/26/2005 3:06:20 PM ben. wrote:

Go start your own thread if you want to complain about topical tangents.

----------------

You'd just follow me over there like a puppy dog. I estimate that some 1700 of your posts have offered nothing other than critiques of my thoughtful posts. It's too bad that you can't get enough attention on your own merits.

----------------

LOL, as they say...

You're still number one, BTW...

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/26/2005 3:18:37 PM ben. wrote:

You're still number one, BTW...

----------------

And don't forget it.

Now, let's get back to helping Erik. I think a lot of his room problems can be traced to having a slew of mismatched amps, a slew of mismatched speakers, and a magic processor thrown into the mix. He really should look into using matched speakers. And no, not 5 or 7 Klipschorns, but at least models that are voiced the same.

As for the amps, since he mentioned that he considered the TEAC amp as good or better than his SET amps, that was why I asked him why he didn't just use a few of them. It turns out that he is sentimentally attached to all of his amps, which is understandable, but at least if he used a few of the cheap $99 TEAC amps, he'd have matched amps (and lots of spare cash after selling the SET amps).

I'd throw the processor out entirely. I love multichannel, but only when the material is mixed for multichannel, like SACD (and DVD-A also qualifies). Miles Davis's "In A Silent Way" springs to mind as unlistenable in stereo once you hear how it is supposed to be. Deriving channels from a stereo source is almost guaranteed to bring about a mess.

"but wouldn't it be nice if some of you thought for a moment before posting nonsense, long enough to decide if you were adding anything helpful to the discussion?"

You mean none of your posts are nonsense and they're all helpful aside from baiting and trolling?

I can see the sarcasm!

When the term movers and shakers is used, truly Paul is one.

In one Post he can elicit ten responses.

Then in another thread, he does add and we agree civilly. Sort of like trial Lawyers.

But he does add, sometimes what is added has to be read several times. Sort of like the Wizard of Oz.

I have to say, I find some of his posts very amusing. A dry sense of humour. But like Ben, Neo, myself he adds to the flavour and intelligence base of the board.

Not as obvious as Allan, a walking jazz library. But, yes, he can bait, he carry on a good discourse - BSAFirebird1969 is another. Knows what he's talking about, uses few words on the board.

Somehow I learn. I may have to sift through whatever.

But, just to refresh: If you have some Sennheisers gathering dust and want to sell, contact me.

Paul:

"I think a lot of his room problems can be traced to having a slew of mismatched amps, a slew of mismatched speakers, and a magic processor thrown into the mix. He really should look into using matched speakers. And no, not 5 or 7 Klipschorns, but at least models that are voiced the same.

As for the amps, since he mentioned that he considered the TEAC amp as good or better than his SET amps, that was why I asked him why he didn't just use a few of them. It turns out that he is sentimentally attached to all of his amps, which is understandable, but at least if he used a few of the cheap $99 TEAC amps, he'd have matched amps (and lots of spare cash after selling the SET amps).

I'd throw the processor out entirely. I love multichannel, but only when the material is mixed for multichannel, like SACD (and DVD-A also qualifies). Miles Davis's "In A Silent Way" springs to mind as unlistenable in stereo once you hear how it is supposed to be. Deriving channels from a stereo source is almost guaranteed to bring about a mess."

All of this is useful, constructive advice and thinking. I think system component matching is really key to successful surround sound -- more so than stereo because of the added complexity. Mind you, I've had some reall challenges with just two channels, and when one starts juggling 5 more, it starts to get more difficult. As much as I do like the Moth amp for two channel, it was a real downer when used with the Lexicon.

As far as speaker matching, I'm doing the best I can -- Really! This is not an inexpensive route, but with two K-horns, the La Scala center, and rear Heresies, it's not too bad. The Lowthers are actually working well for sides, although I wouldn't mind another pair of Heresies there, too.

And sure, I think you are right about using the same amplifier type all around, but I have done the best I can with what I have. Even thought some of the choices might not make sense to some, I have really worked at comparing different combinations. What I'm using now is the best yet, but as is always the case with this hobby (and us as hobbiests)I wonder about what might still be available in terms of an improvement. That's been the driving force for me for years! How else can I improve what I already!? I've gone in the opposite direction bunches of times, but the Lexicon was good.

Still, you make another interesting point about surround sound that was recorded as such -- for dedicated channels. I think this may be what you were referring to when you used the term 'fake surround'. It's something to think about.

Thanks for some good thoughts,

Erik

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:11:39 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I can get it for you wholesale! I have an account with Herman Miller--the last set I ordered was about $1800 if I remember correctly . . .

----------------

I sincerely appreciate the offer, but, I realize it's quality, but my budget says no.

But, it is a sincere thank you.

Win

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:11:39 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I can get it for you wholesale! I have an account with Herman Miller--the last set I ordered was about $1800 if I remember correctly . . .

----------------

Oooh, can you get the Aeron chair?

Sure, fini! Any particular color? SIze A, B, or C. What kind of casters do you want? Do you want all the bells and whistles? Price vaires GREATLY depending on options for this one--from about $400 wholesale to $650 wholesale last time I ordered one.

What a thread! Good to see you are still here, Eric.

I've played around with all the variations of multi channel. Whether discrete, derived, or otherwise. Ultimately I've ended up with a mish mash of sound that suited some types of music, but has ruined others.

While some of these experimentations had been fun... for a while - in the end I became dissatisfied. Technology and gimmickry had got in the way of the music.

This time I'm doing it right. I'm going to set up a very good two channel system. One that will play both stereo and mono recordings, whether vinyl (my preference) or other music source.

The multi channel thing can wait for a while.

Anyway, I have seen a move back to two channel for several major players in the market. For example, Marantz, who renounced two channel a couple of years ago, has released dedicated two channel product. Go figure.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:19:13 PM Erik Mandaville wrote:

All of this is useful, constructive advice and thinking. I think system component matching is really key to successful surround sound -- more so than stereo because of the added complexity. Mind you, I've had some reall challenges with just two channels, and when one starts juggling 5 more, it starts to get more difficult. As much as I do like the Moth amp for two channel, it was a real downer when used with the Lexicon.

As far as speaker matching, I'm doing the best I can -- Really! This is not an inexpensive route, but with two K-horns, the La Scala center, and rear Heresies, it's not too bad. The Lowthers are actually working well for sides, although I wouldn't mind another pair of Heresies there, too.

And sure, I think you are right about using the same amplifier type all around, but I have done the best I can with what I have. Even thought some of the choices might not make sense to some, I have really worked at comparing different combinations. What I'm using now is the best yet, but as is always the case with this hobby (and us as hobbiests)I wonder about what might still be available in terms of an improvement. That's been the driving force for me for years! How else can I improve what I already!? I've gone in the opposite direction bunches of times, but the Lexicon was good.

Still, you make another interesting point about surround sound that was recorded as such -- for dedicated channels. I think this may be what you were referring to when you used the term 'fake surround'. It's something to think about.

Thanks for some good thoughts,

----------------

Welcome back!

I certainly don't want to discourage you from having fun with your system. The processor strikes me as having about one million too many possible variables and would drive me nuts playing around with it. You are correct, I was calling fake any multichannel program derived from a two-channel source. There are now many hundreds, maybe thousands (albeit mostly classical) of legitimate multichannel releases commercially available.

The LaScala center is a perfect choice with the Khorns. The Heresies are compromises. I went that route myself originally. Life is of course full of compromises, but just keep in mind what the great PWK said about using Heresies as a center with Klipschorn mains: That the apparent distortion of the entire three-speaker array will take on the distortion of the worst speaker. That applies to surrounds, too: in other words, you're bringing your multichannel system down, in terms of distortion, to the quality of the worst speaker. I don't know what the Lowther specs are in that respect.

But throwing the Lowthers into the mix is bound to make things worse. They probably sound fine in their own right, but I wouldn't want to mix them with speakers voiced like Klipsch Heritage, because they're bound to sound different and make a hodgepodgy sound.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:48:00 PM edwinr wrote:

What are you talking about? It IS Alan.

----------------

LOL!!! Good one, Edwin.

Actually, in that movie, which has got to be one of the most overrated flicks of all time, they used a horse head from a slaughterhouse.