Cornwalls - $500 - Just Tryin' To Help - HURRY

gullahisland

From Craigslist - Located in the East Bay Area - Vallejo

I have a pair of the Legendary Klipsh "Cornwall" Loudspeakers for sale. I bought these Speakers New From A Stereo Shop in Sacramento in 1984 at the age of 23 and proceded to "Rock the Nation" with them for many years. Now I find myself a bit older and a little tight on funds so, sadly, it's time to say good bye to them. When new, these speakers came unfinished with an ugly one piece grill that was badly outdated style wise in my opinion. Ugly as they were after listening to them, I had to have em'.....after a few weeks of steady rock concert decible play with these Bad Boys...........I shut em down and gave em' a makeover. Sanded and finished the exterior wood, added a piece of trim wood to the front of each to add beauty and Banished the ugly one piece grills for life and replaced them with a new two piece style made from 3/4" quarter round lumber on three sides of each and a little left over trim board used on the front. Finally covering them with some "Radio Shack" speaker cloth, I had a set of hard rockin', Bad *** speakers that were also beautiful. I almost cried. I hate to let em' go and hope that if someone decides to give them a new home that they will use them for what they were designed for. High Volume and Big Sound. Paid $1007.00 for the pair in 84' and would like to ask $500 for the pair in 05'. Other offers will be considered. Please call Barry anytime. 707-590-3752

You may want to hold off... By the time you have these shipped, you may be able to find a pair close to you for about the same price. These will be very expensive to ship.

Someone out here has the Cornwall vault, a special case built just for shipping Corns. They can tell you how much shipping it will cost.

I just shipped an empty corn cab from here to Texas. It was $43 with minimal wrapping. A pair wrapped properly will be much more.

i got a quote to ship la scalas from cali to maryland using forward air all you do is put the speakers on a pallet and shrink wrap them like ctrazy to the pallet with some padding between the speakers the told me 143.00 but you have to pick up at the nearest terminal this was only about three months ago if you can get these shipped for 200.00 or less it is a killer deal both pair of my cornwalls cost in excess of 800.00 and i would not sell them for that 10.gif joe

I second the vote for Forward Air. Not quite Klipsch speakers, but I used them to ship a vintage 70s pinball machine that was almost 400 pounds. Because you put your load on a pallet it is moved with forklifts from one location near an airport on to a truck (don't be confused by the word Air in Forward Air they truck the stuff) then off a truck into storage. You have to go to the FA location to pick it up (mine was spitting distance to BWI) so you don't get it on your door step. For a big ticket item it is sort of fun to go to the warehouse and "uncrate" the treasure.

I would suggest some sort of crate attached with screws to the pallet. Shrink wrap will not stop a wayward forklift blade.

If you want to see what mine looked like after a trip with Forward Air check this

http://mantistech.com/Pinball/4MBC/01Crates.htm

out. NOTE when you look at the first set of pix I had already taken the crate off of the pallet.

PopBumper if you read this I though you might like the pinball pix ;-)

The use of the crate could be arranged - but there's a catch. The crate must be preserved for future use, so the buyer of the speakers would need to hold on to it, or forward it to another forum member for storage until needed again.

The Cornwall Crate has a new heavy duty pallet, and is ready for action. It has taken one forklift shot already - but is still ready for duty to ship Cornwalls.

There is no better method for shipping Cornwalls than this crate and Forward Air. Forward Air is the only company I know of that can ship this at a low enough cost to make it worth the trouble. Ordinarily I would suggest waiting for a pair locally, but FA+Cornwall Crate makes shipping Cornwalls nationwide more viable.

As stated above, you need to have both ends of the deal (buyer and seller) willing to drop off/pick up at FA terminal - which means having a small pickup at minimum to get it back and forth to the terminal.

Average shipping cost empty (130 lbs): $65

Average shipping cost loaded (340 lbs.) $160.

Of course, it depends on where the buyer and seller are - but this will give you an idea of charges.

Email for more details.

I contacted Barry and went to check out the Cornwalls today. I ended up bringing them home with me. They need some work - the tweeters aren't working, grills were modified years ago and the cloth is now worn in some spots, few deep scratches in the wood. Overall though I think that they look good. My biggest concern at this point is getting the tweeters to work. I'll post out asking for advice/pointers in another thread.

...and I want to say

Thank-you, Gullah!

I wouldn't have seen that ad in craigslist if you hadn't pointed it out as Klipsch was misspelled and wouldn't have come up. The speakers were pretty impressive and that's fairly amazing considering that the tweeters aren't working. I look forward to getting the tweeters working and listening to the speakers in their full glory...and I'll host a good glass in your name when I do.

Glad I could help.

Check Craigslist again for the tweeter(s). I'm not a Cornwall guy, but I would surmise that they use the same tweeter as LaScala Belle and K-Horn. K-77??

If so, there's one (or a pair) on Craigslist for like $40, brand new in sealed package.

How's that for goin' the extra mile!!

Let us know how it works out.

Audible, Gullah,

Thanks for the info. I'm sure with the resources here that I'm going to get those speakers going and enjoy the sweet sound. I figure if that guy still has the tweeter for $40 that I'll pick it up just in case. Thanks again.