ported heresy mod...

DrWho

Wasn't there a design a while back where someone ported the heresy to help extend it's LF response? Or would anyone happen to have the T/S parameters for the heresy woofer so that I can model it myself just for kicks? I seem to remember a pic of it...the cabinet was slightly larger with two ports on the front underneathe the woofer and the speaker was sitting on some shelf.

I've tried the search thing and have come up empty handed (read every single thread that gave me hits). I remember it being a long time ago before the forums were merged into the ones we have today.

they made an industrial heresy? wow, first time i've heard of that! pics would be cool if they're readily available.

btw, I'm well aware of the intentional overdamping of the heresy and the benefits of it, but thought it would be cool nonetheless to build a ported cabinet for one...perhaps I might go find me a different driver over at PE to get that extra bass response.

btw, i don't even own any heresies yet!

The Industrial Heresy has no bass.

The vented heresy was an idea I had with a riser base similar in concept to the vented LaScala.

The added box needs to be around 1 cu ft (net) and the port(s) tuned to Fs (about 32hz). This is an SBB4 (best transient response of all vented alignments) and I used a Q=2 filter at 32hz making the whole system a C6 with an F3=32hz.

I also added an 800hz all pass filter to the woofer for time alignment, it sounds quite a bit better that way.

----------------

On 3/26/2005 3:33:58 AM djk wrote:

The Industrial Heresy has no bass.

The vented heresy was an idea I had with a riser base similar in concept to the vented LaScala.

The added box needs to be around 1 cu ft (net) and the port(s) tuned to Fs (about 32hz). This is an SBB4 (best transient response of all vented alignments) and I used a Q=2 filter at 32hz making the whole system a C6 with an F3=32hz.

I also added an 800hz all pass filter to the woofer for time alignment, it sounds quite a bit better that way.

----------------

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to see drawings and/or pics. It might be interesting to build a new box altogether and try this. That way, my origional Heresy boxes won't have extra holes put in them.

Dave

Dennis always has the numbers! 2.gif

Al K. had posted a design that he called a Heresy on steroids, but I hear that Congress may get involved. Al's is a new cabinet, and other parts, perhaps a different horn and different tweeter. If you search for Heresy on steroids, you can probably find it.

Heresy Industrial Ported (HIP), cabinets are used by one of our local sound companies. THey run sound for a series of free concerts an a small downtown park in Chattanooga every summer. They hang the Heresys from trees a little further back from the stage, at a point where you can't see the performers, but the sound is pretty good. Looks a lot like a mini Cornwall.

Marvel

• Like 1

Hey thanks djk! Btw, where do you get all your info from? Is there any loss in efficieny going this route? An F3 of 32Hz would spank my chorus II mains.

The heresy on steroids was the original one I was thinking of, but I didn't realize that it was a complete overhaul on parts. A simple port is more of what I was thinking.

I am reminded of someone on the DIY subwoofer forum, he needed a 'schematic' for a 1 cu ft box.

If you can't figure it out, don't even bother trying.

"Heresy Industrial Ported (HIP), cabinets are used by one of our local sound companies. THey run sound for a series of free concerts an a small downtown park in Chattanooga every summer. They hang the Heresys from trees a little further back from the stage, at a point where you can't see the performers, but the sound is pretty good."

The HIP is 3dB down at about 100hz, and as loud as a Klipschorn above about 200hz!

Hopefully you could still hear some bass from off the stage to fill in the low end.

"to build a new box altogether "

About 4750 cu in net, net.

"Hey thanks djk! Btw, where do you get all your info from?"

I make it up, its called 'design'. "

"Is there any loss in efficieny going this route?"

Why should there be? No% is determined by the woofer. Same woofer.

"An F3 of 32Hz would spank my chorus II mains."

It goes lower than a Klipschorn or a Cornwall, a Chorus isn't even close.

"A simple port is more of what I was thinking."

It is a simple port.

Here are some T/S parameters for the Heresy woofers. It's my understanding (maybe a Klipsch guru can clarify) that Klipsch did vary the T/S parameters over the years, sometimes without changing it's designation (ie: not all K-22 woofers are the same as the Xmax was supposedly improved long before the HII was introduced). Anyways, here is what I have...

Heresy I woofer K-22-E

Diam 12 "

Fs 33 Hz

Qms 4.61

Qes 0.38

Qts 0.35

Vas 6.02 Cuft

NomZ 8 Ohm

Re 6.8 Ohm

Pe 100 Watts

Sd 86.6 sqin

Xmax 2.032 mm

SPL 94.8 dB@2.83V

Le 1.02 mH

BL 15 TM

The sealed box seems a little undersized to get a QTC of 0.7. Porting it would require a large box like djk mentioned. Porting the existing enclosure (the mod you recall seeing) by just adding it to the rear panel would improve the bass response a little.

They later dropped the FS and increased x-max on the driver to probably help it's anaemic bass response (see attachment).

Heresy II woofer K-24-K

Diam 12 "

Fs 23.99 Hz

Qms 4.76

Qes 0.347

Qts 0.323

Vas 9.923 Cuft

NomZ 8 Ohm

Re 5.3 Ohm

Pe 100 Watts

Sd 82.15 sqin

Xmax 4 mm

SPL 93.23 dB@2.83V

Cms 704 uM/N

Mms 62.5 Grams

Le 1 mH

BL 12 T

Enjoy plugging in the numbers...

Rob

post-11489-13819263703296_thumb.jpg

Lane audio has all the information to use there Heresy replacement woofer in the ported box while reuseing everything else out of the heresy's X-over, Mid and tweeter. If I remember right they claim the super heresy would reach down to 40hz.

Craig

haha no worries, I've got a single center heresy coming my way from Idaho...we'll just have to see if the ported version can beat the chorus II's. If it does, then I'll have to help myself to some of the great ebay heresy deals going on. $400/pair shipped is a real steal. 2.gif

Btw, I might be down at UIUC this weekend, you'll have to let me know if you want them heresies brought down with me.

----------------

On 3/28/2005 6:24:34 PM djk wrote:

The parameters formica gave on the K22E are accurate, I provided them (typical of late 70s~early 80s).

----------------

Thanks for supplying the data, and sorry for not giving you credit for it... as I really didn't remember who posted the info originally. 1.gif

BTW, do you know when Klipsch upped the x-max in the Heresy woofer?

Rob

• 3 years later...

Dr. Who, did you ever port that heresy?

Does anyone know why one couldn't use a JBL 123a in place of the K-22? I know the JBL is only good for 50 watts, but I think, when ported, it'll go lower than the K-22. and they let the 123a run wild until it rolls off...no 1st order. If memory serves me right the cubic inches of both the heresy and the L100 are similar, Thoughts anyone??

Also what's the difference between a K-22, K24 and a K28? Anything major? And the K 42 is a 200w version of the K-22...correct???

I just picked up a set of HP-1's. The cabinets are in excellent shape, but the K-24's are history. So since I have to change them out, I figure I'd look at my options.

BTW, does anyone have a schematic of the HP-1 crossover??

Thanks

TC