So how do you think these Khorns are going to look?

greg928gts

Rockets,

The problem with a burl, as with the quilted and other fancy cut veneers is that the grain goes every which way. It can be like trying to glue down a bunch of potato chips. Not as hard as trying to bend for the side of an instrument though.

Marvel

I am not sure of which positive expression to use.

One word will not do it.

As a side, not needed to be answered now, I'm curious regarding the mini K-Horns and how they sound.

Greg, you do excellent work. You should, and I hope that you are proud.

dodger

Greg, I don't know for certain if this tape will work, but I think it would. It's a polyester/mylar blue tint clear(so you can see your lines), high temp, semi-low tack. no residue tape. The product is autoclavable. You want the #806

http://www.itstape.com/aerospace.htm

I'm sure it ain't cheap! They might be able to sample you some to for you to try. If they can't the manufacturer probably could.

Oh, and thanks guys for the info on veneer. I'm not ready to cut wood anytime soon, but want to learn as much as I can before screwing up...

----------------

On 3/27/2005 3:11:09 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Rockets, if your veneer pieces are flat, cut straight, and not too big, you shouldn't have any problems with gaps. The problem I'm having with this Rosewood is that it's very bubbly and warped, so even though my cuts are straight, it's not going together perfectly.

----------------

Do you know how to flatten veneer? (You can ignore this if you already know).... You basically spray it down with some water and then press it under some weight or between two clamped boards. Then, let it sit overnight. It helps get rid of the warps.

Gary