La Scala Smells

jeffgeorge

I Just bought some '85 LaScalas. I am waiting for a new woofer to come from BEC, one was blown on arrival. In the mean-time this thing is smelling up the house. It has a very distinct, what I would call and old musty electrical smell. I can't describe it any better than that. I is definatley an electronic smell - but it is only one of them. The other, with good woofer does not seem to emit this smell, like the other one. Could it be something in the network, or am I just nuts? 9.gif

----------------

On 3/30/2005 7:55:58 AM jeffgeorge wrote:

I Just bought some '85 LaScalas. I am waiting for a new woofer to come from BEC, one was blown on arrival. In the mean-time this thing is smelling up the house. It has a very distinct, what I would call and old musty electrical smell. I can't describe it any better than that. I is definatley an electronic smell - but it is only one of them. The other, with good woofer does not seem to emit this smell, like the other one. Could it be something in the network, or am I just nuts?
9.gif

----------------

It could be something in the network. Chokes, which look a lot like a transformer, are in the network. They can emit a strong, bad smell.

I suggest you remove the entire network board & move it to another room. See if the smell goes with it.

I would label each lead to & from the network board before removal. When you reconnect the board, re-attach the leads exactly as they were.

Rob

Is the bad woofer still in it? Like they said above, it is probably fried and that voice coil melted wiring insulation stuff stinks like transformer smoke... I hate that smell! Anyone who has fried an amp transformer knows what I'm talking about.

DM2.gif

I forgot to mention that I had removed the bad woofer and it is lying in another room. I think it might be a smell in the network. I received the new woofer today, hooked everything back up, and it sounds great. Must just be the network, oh well as long as they sound good... who cares!

3D nice air freshener, I should put one in my car too, and I'll always have that fresh Klipsch scent!

While I have no specific idea of what the odor is, the only thing that comes to mind is the characteristic smell of burnt phenolic from a circuit board - quite distinct, and while perhaps a bit nostalgic for some of us, not a smell that most would suggest as being pleasant!

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 3/30/2005 7:55:58 AM jeffgeorge wrote:

I Just bought some '85 LaScalas. I am waiting for a new woofer to come from BEC, one was blown on arrival. In the mean-time this thing is smelling up the house. It has a very distinct, what I would call and old musty electrical smell. I can't describe it any better than that. I is definatley an electronic smell - but it is only one of them. The other, with good woofer does not seem to emit this smell, like the other one. Could it be something in the network, or am I just nuts?
9.gif
----------------

Jeff,

My LS came from a pub...20+ years there and the tar was 1/16 inch thick...I had to sand the speakers down to raw wood again to get the smell out. I pulled the woofer and used compresed air to blow the cabinet out. The freebreez does help.

Trey: How did they turn out after you put them on " the patch "? 2.gif Do you still smell any smoke? I have a cocktail table game ( Donkey Kong Jr. ), that used to reside in a bar, and have cleaned it quite a few times, but still has a certain ahem flavour.

Granted, I cannot clean all the wiring inside, and once it gets warm, you start to smell it a bit.

• Klipsch Employees

----------------

On 3/31/2005 2:12:51 PM michael hurd wrote:

Trey: How did they turn out after you put them on " the patch "?
2.gif
Do you still smell any smoke? I have a cocktail table game ( Donkey Kong Jr. ), that used to reside in a bar, and have cleaned it quite a few times, but still has a certain ahem flavour.

Granted, I cannot clean all the wiring inside, and once it gets warm, you start to smell it a bit.
----------------

Turned out fine...don't smell anything anymore...at lest not at 15ft away where I sit.

Maybe if you were to put you head in the LF cabinet while playing...