Oscillating glow?

Coytee

The title might make it sound a bit melodramatic but I'll tell ya what happened and then ask if I need be "worried" for lack of a better word.

Was downstairs working last night so I tossed 5 cd's into the changer and cranked the volume up...well...shall I say sufficiently 11.gif

When all disks were done, I was still working, so it was probably 30 minutes later that I got there to turn amp/all off.

(Jolida 502B amp singing through Khorns in stereo)

Volume on Jolida was probably looking at 12:00. It was dark at this time.

When I walked over to turn off, I remembered that the volume was at about 12:00 so I didn't want to forget to turn THAT down, lest I have a heart attack next time I turn it on.

As I approached the system, I was oogling over the blue haze that the KT90's were emmiting and just commenting to myself that I thought that was cool.

I turned the volume down BEFORE turning off and noticed some subtle "whoo" sound as the friction in the volume control was rotated. I cranked it back up and there was the sound again ONLY during the actual turning of the volume AND with NO source playing.

Well, this on it's own didn't bother me a bit (still doesn't)

I then noticed that the "blue haze" of the tubes oscillated at the same time. Took me a minute to sort of figure it out, but if memory serves me correctly, (4 tubes, 2/side) it seems that when I turned the volume down ONE of the tubes on each channel dimmed just a bit. Upon turning the volume UP, the OTHER tube dimmed a bit

I then sort of put 2+2 together about push/pull and thought it was kinda cool. I might want to note here that the brightness shift was VERY subtle, it was NOT something you'd probably notice from across the room.

Anyways, I took about 10 seconds of childish intrigue by taking the volume and just yanking it up/down to watch the subtle light changes (again, no source material)

Then I got to wondering is that "right" for that to happen? If it IS right for that to happen, what's the cause/mechanics of it?

Again, let me re-emphasize it was a VERY subtle change in the brightness of the tubes. Clearly noticable but you had to be looking for it and it was clearly associated with turning the volume up/down. The left tubes (I think) dimmed with turning the volume down and the right tubes dimmed with turning it up. (left tube of left channel and left tube of right channel & vice versa)

Any thoughts, or did I just type all of this for nothing?

3.gif

Coytee, Consider yourself lucky! You are one of the very few humans who have ever witnessed the manifestation of latent poltergiests and lived to tell about it. Probably the spirits of long gone Cheerokee War Chiefs.

If you wish to avoid witnessing that phenominom. again, leave the lights on.2.gif

If you watch you can see the blue modulated by the music too. Lysergic acid diethylamide greatly enhances this effect.11.gif

Rick

For all that have answered, thanks but DO remember, it's not the blue glow I'm really asking about, it's the oscillating "OF" the blue glow when the volume is turned up/down WITHOUT any signal playing (ie, no real stress/draw on power supply as far as I understand).

Anyways, if all is cool with that happening, then I'm a happy camper.

9.gif

I had a Jolida 502B and with upgraded tubes a persistent hum presented that also varied with volume adjustments. I didn't find this acceptable. Any amp system should ideally be quiet. I returned it for repair and was advised that nothing was found in error. I traded the unit for a different brand. Since I've learned that Jolida amps do normally present hum artifact....not good in my book.14.gif14.gif

----------------

On 3/31/2005 8:17:50 AM 3dzapper wrote:

If you watch you can see the blue modulated by the music too. Lysergic acid diethylamide greatly enhances this effect.
11.gif

Rick

----------------

Yo Rick,

All kinds of things glow that way.9.gif

Marvel