Any other drag race fans on here?

IAmtnbikr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/25/2005 5:30:14 PM JJKIZAK wrote:

The problem with the F1 stuff is they sound like mini-bikes. Won't do a thing for my sub-woofer.

JJK

----------------

Mini-Bike?... Never heard a normally aspirated, 900+bhp, 19,000 rmp reving minibike. No way Jose. 2.gif

And my sub kicks in BIG time when the broadcasters switch over to the pits, or everytime the car's hit the rev. limiters down pit lane. Sounds awsome, the cars are awsome, and the wheel to wheel racing is killer. None better IMO.

"I drive this car 4-5 times per week and have been known to do a little late night racing......."

Hmmm....been down that track more than a few times myself. Most fun was with the funny car at night. You know.....slick track with dew coming in, poor lighting on the big end, short shutdown, and a windshield not only full of blower and injector to obstruct the view, but also having it start to fog over...now THAT is some fun! One of the races I won up there....of the three in the FC....the car owner walked straight over to the right side of the car after my winning run in the semis. Guess he thought I "rubbed" the guardrail about 1000' down the track, lol. I knew I was thisclose but all it did was stir up some loose stuff along the edge of the track. NO WAY was I lifting when I was not on fire, across the center line, or in the guard rail, and not able to see the nose of the car next to me in the other lane, lol! I have seen more accidents than you can shake a stick at there at the Grove at night when the track gets slick. I was running my Super Comp dragster one year, and was the very first SC car in the lanes for the last time shot Sat night, and had to wait while they scraped two Super Gas cars off the guard rail. Needless to say, I got out of the car, took off my helmet and gloves and told the guy at the head of the lanes there was NO way I was going to attempt to get down the track after seeing the carnage. He radioed the tower and after about ten minutes they announced the Super Comp time trial session was cancelled for the night and we would get one last shot early Sun morning before eliminations. Wise choice IMO.....

• 3 weeks later...

Brought my 2 teenage sons to their first NHRA event this weekend. Final eliminations at the Carquest Nationals at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet. Spent the first couple of hours pre-race walking through the pit area and getting up close to the teams working on the cars. Standing 3 feet from John Force and listening to him chat with the crowd. The NHRA understands what it means to be fan friendly. The first time the boys heard one of the Top Fuels fire up in the pits they were standing just 20 feet away and nearly jumped out of their skin - but the smiles on their faces made my day right there. The first round of eliminations were for Top Fuel, we had seats just before the 60' mark just 14 rows up, and the boys smiles got even bigger as they watched both cars go through their burnouts. Then pre-stage...stage...tree goes green and WHAM. Two 7000+ hp, 0 to 330 mph rockets THUNDER (not a strong enough word) by in 4.5 seconds. They nearly soiled themselves and I laughed my *** off watching them react. Eyes burning and slowly becoming covered in little bits of tire rubber we watched round after round of incredible machinery and even more incredible driving. I can't even imagine being enclosed under the body work of a Funny Car with that engine just inches in front of you and being able to keep the car under control. Great facility, great machinery, great driving. All in all a great day. It has been years since I have been to the drags and I would recommend the experience to anyone. Unfortunately there is no audio system in the world that could duplicate the sound and sensory overload even with a wall of Klipshorns. Also unbelievable people watching, as we were leaving my 14 year old son said to me in his best Ralph Wiggum imitation "people that come to drag races make tatoo parlors rich and orthodontists poor".

• 11 months later...

Hey, any of you old dawgs remember the Sounds of Drag Racing records from your youth? Come on, admit it, before you listened to the BeachBoys, there was the Winternationals on vinyl? That clip from Steve Miller's, Living in the USA, Drag Racing Vinyl.........NHRA......the man Big Daddy....the Snake.....the Mongoose.......T.V. Tommy Ivo......Yeah, I remember...!!!!!!!!

Courtesy of this web site - http://www.lostindiana.net/html/us_30_drag_strip.html

This is an actual recording of a US30 Drag Strip commercial from the Larry Lujack show on Chicagos WLS-89 radio. At 5:05 PM on Monday, October 5th, 1970, Larry exits a Supremes song into the ad for Wednesday, October 7ths race. Listen for the admission price, and for a badly dated Budweiser commercial that followed. Clip courtesy of the Reel Top 40 Radio Repository.right.gif

US 30 Commercial sound.gif (739 KB WAV)

I used to listen to Uncle Lar when I was a kid. I have not heard that voice for a while.

Some guys from work headed out to Joliet today. I have not been able to make it ever since they switched the date to the weekend of my wedding anniversary. Man I am whipped [:$]

Jeremy

Dedicated fans will know about this, but for the curious I say check out "Wheels of Fire."

If you can find it, it is a great documentary of the sport from the 70's....

I agree , also check out Funny Car Summer . It's a doccumentary of Big Jim Dunn during the time of his rear engined Barracuda Funny Car . The only successful rear engined Funny Car ever .

Oh , I almost forgot , American Nitro may be the best drag racing doccumentary ever .