best CD changer under $500

dmethe3

15 years ago, that was true, but CD technology has advanced so much that changers can easily rival single discs. In fact, the best sounding player I ever owned was a 5 disc- a California Audio Labs CL-5, but that's not going to be in the $500 range, unless you go used. That said, I am using a single disc Marantz CD-5500 at the moment, but have been more than happy with the CC-4300. They're superb players for the money. The only caution I'd throw out about the Marantz is it doesn't do well with burned cd's. So if you're a burn-freak, it's probably not the one for you. I use a Denon 5-disc as backup for burned discs the Marantz won't read.

-Jon

----------------

On 4/18/2005 7:20:55 PM Royster wrote:

----------------

On 4/18/2005 5:55:20 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

i have a suggestion ...

i don't think any" Audio File " ..

should own a "Changer " ....

9.gif

----------------

I feel the same way. They quite nasty at best. But if you are looking to load a boat load of cd's into one, they are quit effortless. Sound like doo doo IMHO. But then again, I think a transport, jitter reclocker, and outboard dac is the only way to go.

----------------

and only because it hasn't been mentioned yet:

really the best thing would be to go out and find a dealer that will let you demo in your own home. All the reviews and opinions in the world mean nothing if it doesn't sound good to your ears. If the dealer doesn't let you demo it at home, then just be willing to find another place. I can't see them not lending a floor model if it'll mean a sale.

hehehe ...

lookit the nasty responses ....12.gif

well, i admit to having a Carver 5 disc changer ...

for when i'm too lazy to keep changing disc's ..

i also like my Audio Alchemy Transport/DAC/Clocker

what's all this 5.1 Crap ..?? ...i thought this was the 2 CHANNEL Forum

..( for those of you that did not READ THE FORUM TITLE )

----------------

On 4/19/2005 6:56:44 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

....what's all this 5.1 Crap ..?? ...i thought this was the 2 CHANNEL Forum

..( for those of you that did not READ THE FORUM TITLE )

----------------

just so happens that the BEST CD changers out there that meet the budget of the original poster also happen to play more than one format (CD, DVD and SACD)

so it's all good for him..... he can get a GREAT performing CD changer as well as an EXCELLENT deck that allows him to experience SACD in multichannel and SACD in 2 channel

so that's why all this "5.1 Crap" is being discussed

you really do need to get out more

As another New York Stater, it was brought out earlier that some were not reading the subject title.

I just see a little poke.

There have many threads that did not break down to such pokes or insults, quite refreshing to read.

Yes I can skip over the ones that contain those, but I would miss a post like Dr Who's that makes a lot of sense and actually can find whether the sound match is proper.

Do we REALLY NEED to resort to personal comments or can we just answer a question, wonder about choice and let the initial poster answer the question.

Personally, it shouldn't matter if a component is recommended by any source but the listener.

dodger

I didn't mean to start a major arguement. I am REALLY looking for a changer...SORRY...but I do not feel I should be giving up any performance with todays technology running optical out. I DO own a Panosonic DVD player and also run that optical out. I am more a music guy and with around 500 cd's I do like to load more than one at a time (especially at party time!).

Thumpel,

I have to say, I,m not all that impressed with the KLF-C7. I will be moving Heresy's to center when I find another set of Corn's or Scalas.(don't have the room for 'Horns)

Thanks for all the responses! If I HAVE to settle for a single disc player, I will.

P.S. I thought having a combo cd/dvd player was an audiophile NO! NO!

This thread is no major arguement by a long shot.I thought everyone was being rather civil(all things considered).The best advise you'll get here or anywhere is go get the units you are leaning toward/thinkin about or available locally and give em' a whirl.Then you can decide the pros/cons etc but thats a good way to start,good luck.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 12:14:27 PM dmethe3 wrote:

I didn't mean to start a major arguement. I am REALLY looking for a changer...SORRY...but I do not feel I should be giving up any performance with todays technology running optical out. I DO own a Panosonic DVD player and also run that optical out. I am more a music guy and with around 500 cd's I do like to load more than one at a time (especially at party time!).

Thumpel,

I have to say, I,m not all that impressed with the KLF-C7. I will be moving Heresy's to center when I find another set of Corn's or Scalas.(don't have the room for 'Horns)

Thanks for all the responses! If I HAVE to settle for a single disc player, I will.

----------------

Sorry, no major argument, but...

AND NOT YOUR FAULT.

The Phillips 963SA is supposed to be a good unit. A few have recommended that to me.

But if you can try in home, that is better.

dodger

i just recieved that marantz cc-4300 5 disc changer i got from audiogon.. after a good long listening session, i can say this:

compared to my NAD unit, the marantz has a large almost holographic soundstage. frequency extremes are extended, and is a bit smoother at the high-end.

for $250 new or half that used, its a great deal and it does sound very good.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 12:14:27 PM dmethe3 wrote:

----------------

Not necessarily. A dvd player automatically has a better DAC because it can do the higher bitrates. The internal clock driving the DAC is the major source for jitter and this clock inheritantly has to be better in order to play higher bitrates...when playing at lower bitrates, you've got the same DAC just running a lower bitrate, but you still get the more precise clock.

I'm not saying they can't make a dedicated 44.1kHz DAC that will sound better than a 96kHz or 192kHz DAC running at 44.1kHz, but there's absolutely no reason for a higher bitrate DAC to sound worse.