Members Weekly Music Recommendations-April-18

thebes

Boy what a beautiful spirng Day here in Washington, DC. Brings to mind thoughts of beautiful music, or maybe a little dancing under the stars.

The format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Mongo Santamaria and Friends, "Mambo Mongo", latin jazz, cd. This is a very nice reprint of a group originally recorded by Chesky Records. A little mombo every now and then never hurt anybody. Very enjoyable. The bonus of course it's the recording by Chesky. I'm sure I've mentioned this label before. I now own three of their releases and love their approach to mastering which is simply to record them and keep mixing to a minimum. Check out their stuff, they have something for almost everyone's taste.

So what do you have to share?

Compilation ( Various Artists ), title Nature Impressions, compilation 3. Instrumental, very easy listening, it features: acoustic guitar, flutes, and keyboards, set to background nature sounds. Surf crashing in, creeks gently flowing, etc. Borderline on muzac played on elevators, but very high quality recordings.

Relaxing after a particularily stressful day at work. Distributed by MTL, Vancouver, BC, copyright 1997. Format is compact disc.

In keeping with the spring/feeling good thing (hit 70 here today- about 15 degrees above normal- looked good from inside, B000000OQD.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpganyway), I'd like to recommend Pat Metheny Group's STILL life (talking)

I guess you could generally categorize it as Jazz/World. Released in '87, it's probably available on LP, but I have the CD. The production could lead one to make comparisons to New Age "music", but there is a depth and musicality that transcends such easy criticism.

The music is a bit synthy, with Metheny playing a good deal of MIDI guitar, along with long-time collaborator Lyle Mays' always-tasteful keyboard work (he co-produces here as well). Even the vocalists trigger MIDI patches using pitch-to-MIDI conversion.

The production is clean, and serves the music well. Music this densely orchestrated can be a challenge to absorb, but they handle the complex textures well, and a decent system really lets the music develop fully. That said, I've enjoyed this record since I first heard it in '92, when all I had was a boombox.

The musicianship is really top notch. Steve Rodby(upright bass) and Paul Wertico(drums) are leaders in this vein of straight-eighth modern jazz. The writing puts melody first, and the group serves that purpose in a masterful way.

I haven't gone more than six months without listening to this record in over ten years.

Bunches of five star reviews here, too: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000000OQD/102-4589274-4856950?v=glance

And speaking of Sinatra, what about the other one. His daughter, Nancy.

I just bought a copy of the Best Of. There's a suprising amount of good material here. Particularly Sinatra's collaboration with Lee Hazelwood. While Sinatra sounds okay with the typical pop songs of the period, she really hits her straps when she duets with Hazelwood. The track, 'Jackson' is the best song she's ever done, and one of the best country songs I've ever heard. It's also very well recorded.

kittie

spit

Kittie is a fearsome foursome from north of the border in Ontario, Canada hoping to invade and impale clubs and dives everywhere and anywhere. Already, they have toured in support of Slipknot and are bound for this summer's Ozzfest. There's no telling how far they'll go. One thing's for sure, it won't just be on their good looks - though certainly it won't hurt. That is because their debut Spit is every bit as pummeling, confrontational, and catchy as any of the boy bands are, if not more. Sure, they could use a little seasoning here and there as some riffs seem lifted or at least reinterpreted, but its the passion and intent that will get listeners juices flowing to this disk. Mostly due to Morgan Landers' (singer) ability to squall with the disparity of Jonathan Davis on "Do You Think I'm a *****" and "Spit." While at others she can sass you with crushing brevity "Suck" a tune that is wrapped in some of the best punky melodies this side of fellow bad grrrls the Smears.

Van Morrison, "Moondance" Rock CD

Last Saturday's weather here in central Ark was high 70's, crystal blue sky, light breeze. Loads of sun. (And of course pollen from heck). My wife popped this in the CD while we were cruising backroads with the top down. Might have been the best springtime experience we've had in years. Listenable, danceable, easy to sing-along-with. Van's voice at its finest. Engineering stands up very well for a 70's recording.

One of my all time favorites.....

Sinatra - Live at the Sands, CD and LP

Just makes me smile! Wonderful recording and CD mastering in 20bit. Very clear, if you listen close you can hear ice in the glass, not sure if it's Franks glass or the front row, but someones drinkin! That makes me smile too!

Spring time??? Ha! We've had snow and low temps for the last few days. Gets me thinking about Iceland. When I think of Iceland, I also think of Sigur Ros. So, my inspiration this week is the Agaetis Byrjun cd by Sigur Ros. Their music gives me that delicious warm feeling of being in a drunken stupor inside a noisy, dark, and smokey eastern European cafe/club/coffee house. I love the feeling of being helpless and clueless and yet welcome and comfortable in a strange place. Sigur Ros music is a reminder of that feeling.