Class T - First Impressions

Mallette

Tripath amps are technically class D amps. Tripath just changed the operation of a typical class D amp a little for things like the variable modulation frequency. The core operation (transistors switching from full on to off) is class D.

Tripaths own site says 'Class T' is just a brand name. IOW no different then B&O calling their class D amp the 'ICEPower' or whatever TI's name is for their chip. Tripaths name of their digital chip is 'Class-T.'

Shawn

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeez, seems like I start something just trying to have a bit of fun with my new toy:-)

OK, it is class K for Kewl. Still no time to really do anything yet. Rendering panoramas of a minefield at the moment. Looks a lot like the 2 channel forum, donchaknow.

However:

1. Without question the finest sounding 600 watt, 127.00 receiver I've ever heard.

2. No question it and it's cousins will dominate the market within a very short period of time.

3. Dump your SS gear unless you intend to be buried with it.

Dave

----------------

On 4/20/2005 8:45:11 PM Mallette wrote:

They'll get my ST-70 from my cold, dead, hands.

Dave
----------------

Man I love you dude! Get that ST70 here so I can get it working for you. Forget the bill cause there won't be one. Well you can cover shipping....

Craig

----------------

On 4/20/2005 8:45:11 PM Mallette wrote:

They'll get my ST-70 from my cold, dead, hands.

Dave

----------------

so much for an open mind...

IMHO..... if i find an amp that sounds better than my current amp, it will be on ebay/audiogon as soon as i get the new amp hooked up in my system

Russ, I think an open mind would allow for the possibility of the following:

-sometimes people make errors of judgement and the "new car smell" wears off

-some people like to have options, or more than one system

-some folks are grumpy MF's that enjoy disagreeing with others

Just my $.02.

----------------

On 4/20/2005 10:33:32 PM ben. wrote:

Russ, I think an open mind would allow for the possibility of the following:

-sometimes people make errors of judgement and the "new car smell" wears off

-some people like to have options, or more than one system

-some folks are grumpy MF's that enjoy disagreeing with others

Just my $.02.

----------------

bottom line....

if it sounds better than the previous amp (or whatever) i have no problem in enjoying the better sound...

but you are right in the comment - "some people are grumpy MF..."

and i have an open mind that will accept any technology in my systen that will give me a better sound.....

1.gif

Interesting post.

I was just using the Panasonic SA-XR50 up until recently. Had the 25 before that. They're both great sounding units. I think the 50's just a little smoother and more refined. There's a new XR55 due out soon.

The JVC F10 is another amazing sounding chip amp cheapy, which I'm using now. I'm so impressed with the sound of these little chip units, it's hard to even consider something more expensive. And, they've got 5 available amplifier channels for bi-amping!

Well, I look at Dave's statement and your reaction and wonder why we need to shed our skins at all. There is no better system than one than connects the listener to the music without impediment. It is surely possible for an individual to have more than one at a time.

----------------

On 4/20/2005 10:57:15 PM ben. wrote:

Well, I look at Dave's statement and your reaction and wonder why we need to shed our skins at all. There is no better system than one than connects the listener to the music without impediment. It is surely possible for an individual to have more than one at a time.

----------------

i used to have two separate systems....

ultimately i found myself never listening to my second system

i found it better sound-wise to use a speaker selector switch on my main system and run some long speaker cables to run the speakers in a second room

i ended up with a better sound because i was using the best amp that i could find(afford) and using it to run two different sets of speakers at different times

just my experience.....

1.gif

I agree with Ben...My bro has both the Panasonic and the SI 5066, and he just bought another 6BQ5-based tube amp (same design/layout as the Sophia Electric Baby, but at $190 instead of $899). He can hear the subtle differences of each amp and loves 'em all! There isn't any one of them that sounds better or worse than the other, only different!1.gif