How to keep the cat away???

atomicskiier01

I will be getting hitched on 5-21-05 and the wife to be wanted a siamese kitten as her wedding present. Of course my concern is how to keep the cat away from my RF-35's (no grills) and all of the wires and such behind the TV and receiver. We are moving in in June after the honeymoon. I want to stop this problem before it starts! Suggestions please!

P.S. I know that many of you will tell me to kill the cat, but you can take that off the list of options. I'm a dog person, but I got the stereo and she got the cat....

Has the cat shown a propensity for this type of behavior at HER place? I have three cats and they've never shown the slightest interest in any wiring. I do keep my rack pretty neat, so the only exposed wires are speaker runs- no spaghetti for me.

However, they DID consider my Cornwalls as scratching posts for a while.

Here's how to control that. First, cats have claws. Now you don't have to 'declaw' them- imagine have your fingers amputated at the first knuckle- that's what it is! Just keep tabby's nails neatly trimmed- that's GF's job. The scratching behavior usually happens when the nails are too durned long. Also provide a proper scratching post in kitty's favorite private area- mine prefer the kind that is a tall pole wrapped with natural rope. SHould be tall so they can s-t-r-e-t-c-h out while they use it. Lastly, reinstall your grille cloths so kitty isn't attracted to that shiny silver object (cerametallic cones).

hope you can all get along,,

Michael

I got railroaded into a cat within the past 7 or 8 months. The first time she started to "Stretch" while using the SVS is when we finalized plans for declawing.

I thought the tips mentioned about having a good scratching post near her/his spot and clipper his/her nails was also a good suggestion. As far as wires, mine doesnt seem very intersted in mine.

As far as speakers, I agree there that you need to put the grills back on. They will be cheaper to repair if need be than the cones.

Again, my kitty never approached the RF's for some reason on the SVS.

That was enough for me.

Cats hate ginger root. What you can do is go to your local grocery store and buy one or two roots, then take them home. Using a cheese grater or something of that sort, just kind of shred a light perimeter around your speakers and whatnot. The cat should never come close. A quick side note, you don't have to shred a pile, just shred a light sprinkling and it should be essentially invisible to the human eye.

I've always had cats and I have never seen one in ANY way interested in the exterior of a grill-less speaker, let alone wires(although I can see the potential for them to use a grill for a scratching post if a better alternative isn't available...)

Judging from the propensity for PEOPLE to want to touch dust caps, I would fear PEOPLE, both adults and kids, and dogs (check out the other recent post!!!!) long before I would ever worry about a cat!

And there is no need to abuse the cat with some outrageously loud noise! Their hearing is much more acute then ours and I think you will find that they are much harsher critics of what we call music then we are! And if you want to prove to yourself how unrealistic many of the recorded acoustical cues are, play a recording of nature sounds; birds, etc., and watch as the cat (or dog) pays absolutely no attention to them.

Besides, I think you will find that the cat, more often then not, simply avoids the room or leaves when you play loud music.

And the others are right, simply provide a desireable alternative scratching post and it will prefer the more 'attractive' method to assist it in molting its nails. Besides, I suspect if you don't provide a better alternative it will learn to use the corner of a sofa, love seat or upholstered chair before it ever looks at a speaker - as the preferred surface seems to need to be a bit more 'substantial'. The cat is simply doing what it Needs to do to molt the nail 'covers', so its 'our' job as steward to provide them suitable alternatives.

They are much more meticulous in their habits then dogs or people! Besides, I think you will discover that they are very much like women (whereas dogs are the 'yes' men of the animal world!). You can't tell them when they want something, but they will certainly let you know when they want affection or attention! ESPECIALLY the very vocal and assertive Siamese! You may soon find it directing the activities in your home!2.gif Oh, and you will find the Siamese especially coveting a WARM spot, as they seem much more 'cold blooded' then other cats. Just think of it as another woman in the house!

But if you give it a chance I suspect that you will discover that they are pretty magical animals.

----------------

On 4/23/2005 11:15:37 AM dragonfyr wrote:

I've always had cats and I have never seen one in ANY way interested in the exterior of a grill-less speaker, let alone wires(although I can see the potential for them to use a grill for a scratching post if a better alternative isn't available...)

----------------

Man, you're friggin lucky. Years ago, I had a pair of Optimus speakers that I preferred to run with grills off. I came home to find the tweeter or midrange(can't remember which now) totally shredded by one of the cats. I was so mad I thought my head was gonna explode - It was the speaker closest to the scratching post too!

7.gif

So I decided that for my own sanity I ponied up had the ^*&% cat declawed. It was either that, or he was literally gonna "say hello to my little friend!!!!"

My cat has never shown any interest in scratching my speakers, nor in chewing the cables. I have an aunt whose cat does chew cables...but she's not a Klipsch owner, so I guess she deserves it! The cat did show some plain old curiosity towards my RW12, up until the first explosion came over it (this was not intentional, I wouldn't torture my kitty), and he's kept a respectful distance ever since.

So it will totally depend on the personality of the little furball you get your wife. Good luck!

Scott

I have never had a problem with a cat and speakers, but my parents did have a Maine Coon Cat - like a giant Sylvester, that loved to eat raw potatoes 6.gif , who LOVED the water and would literally climb in the shower or tub with you if you forgot to securely close the bathroom door!, and decided that it liked to wiz in my dad's tennis shoes - and Only His tennis shoes - no others....

But hey, he left all things audio alone!

Go figure!

Gotta love 'em!9.gif

But you have chosen a Siamese! The MOST assertive cat breed! I suspect that this is not the last we hear of this cat! ...Should be interesting to see who trains who first!2.gif

Well, its a little assuring that most people do not have problems with the cat touching the speakers. I like the ginger root idea and I will give it a try. I really want to keep the grills off becuase I love looking at those gold reference cones! I will give you guys an update after we've had the cat for a few months. Thanks for all of your input!

If this cat is going to be an indoor only cat, get it declawed.

There is also a product called Boundary (not completely sure about the spelling) which, when used properly keeps cats away from whatever you spray it around. You can get it at a place like Petsmart or Petco. We use it on our Christmas tree each year and our 3 cats stay away from it.

It won't work on hard surfaces very well, if you have hard surfaces you can try orange peels (or possibly some orange potpouri) around stuff to keep the cat away, they do not care for that smell.

I cannot disagree too strenuously about having the cat declawed!

That is abuse!

If you are going to do that, then don't get a cat!

Besides, they develop some really interesting and nasty compensatory habits!

Not only do they learn to bite, but they will also learn to swat very aggressively.

I do have experience being around several declawed cats, and the result is not attractive!

Scratching is an instinctive response! Not only does it aid in shedding the claw cover' (think "shark's teeth"!!!), but it also serves to mark territory via scent. Just as a cat, when it rubs against you or other things, is NOT being affectionate! It is marking you or the object with scent from glands that are undetectable by you on its lower jaw! Affection is indicated by the lowering of the head and butting you rather like a bull might.

If you dont provide an alternative constructive outlet as well as teach the cat to accept having its claws trimmed when young (as they do not instinctively like having their feet held you must train the cat to accept this), then you are the problem! Just as if you never housebreak your child!

And if you have kids, and you want to direct their behavior in other ways first, may I suggest that you simply cut their Achilles tendon so they don't wander off too far! And have their vocal cords cut so they don't cry too loud. And oh, they do have a habit of getting into things, but if you remove their thumbs they can't open nearly as many doors or cupboards, and with a few less fingers they don't pick up nearly as many things to stuff in their mouth, nose, ears, etc... Besides, if you do this when they are babies, they wont even notice! Oh, and for the longest time I thought that that was what closets and crawl spaces were for! OK, maybe I shouldn't 'go' there! ;-)

Funny, why does it seem more reasonable to do that to people instead of to cats!

And if one is this concerned about the cat simply as they need to scratch to allow for the molting of the nail sheath (they do not simply wear down, and even with clipping you will discover that the nail cover will quickly split and shed, leaving a fresh sharp nail in its place!), then you have no business getting a Siamese, let alone another much more complacent breed of cat.

I realize that this declawing suggestion is being made by others who intend well, but it is not a benign procedure!

And I am assuming that you both, or at least your girlfriend, are already well aware of the characteristics of the Siamese breed. I hope that you are not choosing it simply because of its markings!!!!

So, while this may all be a moot point, and your fiance may be extremely intimate with cats. The sudden thought that perhaps neither of you has had a cat before prompts this sudden

rush of angst and foreboding!! So, under the possibility that neither of you are intimate with cats, here are a few thoughts! But if you are familiar..well, nevermind. Just read and grin!

So...If the latter is the case, and you are not intimate with the Siamese, you need to do a LOT of research!!! I love cats and have had at least one all my life, and I have had a red point Siamese. Personally, I prefer Burmese, Abysinnians, Bengals, Maine Coon cats (giant Sylvester like cats), or shorthairs. I love the interaction with a cat, even those with stronger more assertive personalities, (as I have also raised and trained two Dobermansso I am very familiar with this area.- and yes, they get along great!) but I simply dont enjoy being bossed around by it if I don't jump to respond! And, while I express this with a bit of hyperbole, you face this distinct possibility with a Siamese!!

This is not unlike a person who knows dogs deciding to obtain a Doberman, as they are very similar within their respective species. And no, for those of you out there who have seen the moviesDobermans are NOT naturally mean! But they are highly intelligent dogs that demand to be included and are naturally protective. So if you expect a calm dog (like a lab) that will simply lay down and be content to not be in the center of things, you have no business having a Dobe, as they are like having child who must be included in everything. So it is incumbent upon you to learn how to effectively communicate with the dog! For every malicious Dobe', there is at least one irresponsible negligent owner who has completely abdicated their responsibilities.

And the same is true with a Siamese cat! They are not for the faint of heart! They have the most assertive personality as well as being extremely vocal. They talk. And they DEMAND attention, in perhaps a more direct manner then other breeds. You will quickly discover why cats in general might be equated with women! ;-) In a good way, of course!!!! ;-)

Is this bad? Of course not! It is simply a matter of matching your expectations with the nature of the beast! And I might suggest that a Siamese is not a good starter cat unless one knows what they are getting into! As you are learning to drive in a Ferrari!

So, if you or your fiancé have not had direct personal experience LIVING with a Siamese, you need to do a bit of research and visit folks who will be more then willing to let you meet their Siamese members of the family! They will know exactly what I am referring to, and I am sure they will be more then glad to introduce you to the charge you are taking on! But you do not select a Siamese because you simply like the coloring or looks!!!!!

In other words, living with a cat is much easier than with a dog, and the cat is much more self-sufficient (although I doubt that this will be the characteristic you mention first if someone asks you about your Siamese!), and I personally wouldnt choose to be without one. But it pays to be familiar with what you are getting into ahead of time.

And thus I warn you about Siamese cats if you are not familiar with them. I might suggest you have a discussion with your fiancé regarding her experience with Siamese. And maybe she can enlighten you as to their passive(SIC!!!) personality traits!!! ;-) As you are in for a surprise!

A quick search provided this:

FAQ: Is a Siamese Cat Right for Me?

What can I expect from a Siamese?

As anyone who has kept a Siamese cat will know, they are unique. Siamese cats are very much larger than life. Everything they do is louder and more energetic - from giving affection to telling you when they don't like something! Siamese cats are often said to be the most dog-like cats and are believed to be highly intelligent. If you expect to have a pet who is quiet and can be left to their own devices, a Siamese is not for you. You must be prepared to provide lots of time and energy.

Can Siamese cats be left on their own?

Siamese cats may suffer greatly if left on their own for any period of time. They are renowned for becoming very attached to their owners and forming strong bonds with them. More than any other type of cat, Siamese cats are known to suffer when their owners are on vacation. Some cats may even suffer from 'Separation Anxiety' which is more common in dogs. In conclusion, if you can't spend lots of time with your Siamese cat, have another one or even a dog to provide company.

(By the way, cats can be left on their own provided they are left with a constant supply of fresh water and dry food. Unlike a dog, which will eat until sick as soon as the food is made available!, the cat will self-regulate and eat only as it is hungry! So a cat can generally be left alone for a weekend and be quite fine!)

Do they need special care?

Siamese cats need attention. You must be prepared to put yourself out for them, and to be expected to behave more like a parent than an owner! Since Siamese cats do not have a thick undercoat they may feel the cold more than other breeds of cats.

Are Siamese cats highly-strung?

Since Siamese cats do everything in a more exaggerated way, they interact on a different level to other cats. You may find that most of their emotions, whether good or bad, are more enhanced. If they are in a good mood, expect great levels of affection, but if they are in a bad mood, be prepared to stay out of their way.

Can they be trained?

Siamese cats will normally learn what is required of them in a very short time. It may well be a case of how quickly they can train you!

Can Siamese cats be kept with other pets and children?

Siamese cats will live happily with an assortment of pets and children if properly introduced as a kitten. More than any other cat, Siamese are usually dominant over any household dogs.

Do Siamese cats have specific health problems?

There are no Siamese-specific ailments. Some have been known to eat woolen materials such as rugs, but this has seldom resulted in health complications. Mixed-breed Siamese cats come in a variety of shapes and colors, but are still said to inherent the characteristic personality. (AMEN!!!!!)

(Personally I am not aware of the wool eating stuff...but ;-) )

Oh, and one more suggestion! Unless you love fleas and and cats that have been hurt in fights, or worse, killed by cars and other things they have no business interacting with (like cars!), DO NOT allow your cat to go outside. This wacko idea that cats need to go outside is an absurd notion! Oh, and do not use flea collars! And do a bit of research regarding the rabies shots! They do not need to be given each year (except by a braindead law based upon myth and not medical reality - do the research! And become aware of the RISK that the SHOT presents!!) And just keep them inside. They will live a happier, longer lives and you will not need to deal with fleas and all the other trauma associated with that absurd ancient idea that affects the thinking (or lack thereof) of people!

For your own benefit, may I suggest that you do a web search for Siamese personality traits! You will be amazed! You (or your fiancé!) have chosen a very unique cat! And you had best get with the program quick, as you are in for quite an education! And for those lucky enough to stick with the program, I suspect you will become quite attached to the monster!

Gee, maybe we could start a cat care thread?!!!

9.gif

well said dragonfyr! ALL OF IT!

Another thought occurs. You will be newlyweds, merging households, habits, stuff, etc. Is there currently a dog? Do not, under any circumstances, introduce a new kitty into this melee! Cute and cuddly as it sounds, getting a pretty little kitty for her wedding present, it sounds like a little kid getting a duck for Easter. It's just bound to not go well. THink about it, has she had pets before? Do you travel a lot? You are both young, you ready for a pet in addition to each other?

My personal .02 would be to get the household situated, get used to each other and dogworld (if it exists), then if all goes well, consider getting a cat at the one year anniversary. I have three 'saved' farm cats. I think there is a certain beauty in the personality of a naturally bred and born cat. Like a dog from the Humane Society, they seem to know that they have been adopted. Dogs and cats alike, there is something a little 'off' about the personality of purebreeds. Like I said, just my opinion, but we want this story to have a happy ending, ok?

Michael