Heritage on display in Flint, MI K-Horns & Belles

dkp

Today's Audio, located just off I-69/Center Road (about a mile East of M-54 and about 5 miles East of I-69/I-75) has a pair of really nice K-Horns and a pair of 1974 Belles that look brand new. Both are on consignment-Belles had a tag of $2500 on them and the K-Horns were $3500. I don't know that the prices are that great, you Heritage owners can comment here, but if you haven't heard Heritage, now's your chance.

The Klipschorns are powered by Marantz and the Belles are not currently hooked up, although a call ahead would get that fixed real quick. I heard last week powered by a Marantz Integrated amp that sounded wonderful.

David

It would be nice to know the year of the Klipschorns. But if the Khorns and Belles are in mint condition the prices don't seem out of line, especially if you can go and give 'em a good listen first and if the dealer will deliver and set them up.

If you've really lusted for Klipschorns all your life like someone I know (me, got mine new in 2003 at age 61), and you're within a hundred miles or so, it's worth the drive. If you don't have room or corners for Klipschorns, the Belle is quite Khorn-like in presence, clarity and dynamic range. The Belles would need a good subwoofer to go along with them, though. Even the Khorns benefit from a sub on some material.

My parents live in the Detroit area of Mi. I travel back to visit from time to time. I would love to have a belle as a center between my khorns. I would be an hour or so from Flint if I were to visit my parents. Is there anyone along the way between Baltimore and Detroit that might want to split the pair with me? I only want a WO belle, DKP, do you know the finish?

Anyway, the price is a bit high, but not out of the realm of possibility. I dont have any travel plans back to Detroit just yetbut could be convinced to do a long weekend. I typically travel PA and OH turnpike passing through P-burg and Cleveland when I do make the trip.

A lot of things would have to fall into place to make this work, any interest out there?

BTW, anyone know the price of a single belle, new today?

My new Belle center channel that I took delivery of in September 2004 listed for $3,000 ($6,000/pair.) Dealers will discount some, I paid $2500 for mine.

My 2003 Khorns listed for $7500, I paid $6500 delivered.

Still pricey, but for new I think I did relatively OK.

Yup Old Red (the Owner) often has vintage klipsch speakers for sale. He takes them in from previous customers sometimes on trade and other on consignment. In haven't been up there in a while. he is a great guy to deal with buy the way and WILL DEAL on the price. Like all people in business to make a buck he starts out high so don't be afraid to wheel and deal him down.

Craig

I was in Flint and dropped in to Today's Audio a few months ago and heard the Khorns in question. They really are in great shape (not the best lighting in the room). The seller was asking $4k for them when I was there so it looks like he came down on them. The only thing I noticed was that there was almost no bass, but that was probably the way the room was set up.

Would have liked to hear the Belles had he had them then.

Of course the little woman wants the VMPS Elixers in the next room....

Khorns have GOT to be in good corners. I don't know this dealer's setup. Plus, Khorns are very amplifier-sensitive, they will show up every nuance be it tube or SS. Do a search on my posts and you will see. Some tubes sound good and some SS sounds good but the Khorns give nothing a "free pass."

Ergo, it is so much more important that whoever's interested get to that dealer firsthand to see and hear firsthand. Take your time. Don't be hasty. Bring your favoritest CD's. Enjoy.

I posted about the same speakers two or three weeks ago.

I've been buying gear from Red (the owner) since the mid 70s or so, when he was down the road at Mich. Teletronics, later changed to Stereo TV Village. He has always been more than fair to me.

The Belles and Khorns are both in really good shape.

They had some new Heresys on display the last time I was there too.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 6:05:04 PM DizRotus wrote:

----------------

On 4/24/2005 6:00:13 PM RickB wrote:

He has always been more than fair to me.

Is that like being more than honest?

----------------

----------------

Compared to the other Klipsch dealer in town who thinks they are doing you a big favor if they give you 10% off and I personally think 20% is fair, so yeah I would consider the deals I get more than fair.

RickB

Its understood that you appreciate the fair way in which youve been treated by this dealer. My comment is not meant to denigrate the dealer or you. Ive used the term myself, but is it truly accurate?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

IMHO, the words: fair, honest and pregnant are alike in the sense that you either are or you are not: fair or honest or pregnant. Ive never met someone who is sort of pregnant, sort of honest or sort of fair.

Fair, IMHO, is a mutually dependent term. If a deal is fair, its fair for all concerned, therefore, how can it be more than fair for one party without being less than fair for the other party? Fair is fair.

Neil

I never thought you were insulting me, and basically I agree with you, pregnant is pregnant, you either are or you're not.

But I believe when it comes to honesty you can have a little wiggle room. There are degrees of honesty, you can be honest without being totally honest.

If my wife asks me how she looks in a new pair of jeans and I think she looks good I'll tell her she does and I'll be honest. But if I think if she would drop a couple pounds off her butt she would look even better in them I'll just keep that to myself.

Does that make me less than honest? No,it makes me more than smart.2.gif

I've met many people that were sort of honest. They tell the truth when they think they could get caught if not doing so. A Truly Honest person is a rarity in the world today. I personally hate dishonnesty and will not tolerate it with the people I deal with from either end of the transaction.

Craig

----------------

On 4/25/2005 11:58:05 AM NOSValves wrote:

I've met many people that were sort of honest. They tell the truth when they think they could get caught if not doing so. A Truly Honest person is a rarity in the world today. I personally hate dishonnesty and will not tolerate it with the people I deal with from either end of the transaction.

Craig

----------------

I have to agree with you about that. My wife thinks I don't trust people enough, but I learned a long time ago that people are going to take advantage of you if they think they can get away with it. I pretty much go into every situation skeptical of the people I'm dealing with until proven otherwise.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 4:24:32 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

I was in Flint and dropped in to Today's Audio a few months ago and heard the Khorns in question. They really are in great shape (not the best lighting in the room). The seller was asking $4k for them when I was there so it looks like he came down on them. The only thing I noticed was that there was almost no bass, but that was probably the way the room was set up.

Would have liked to hear the Belles had he had them then.

Of course the little woman wants the VMPS Elixers in the next room....

----------------

Tom-you probably heard them powered by a mid-level Integra receiver. I listened to them as well as the Heresy's on the Integra and was less than impressed. However, they've recently added Marantz and the difference is nothing short of stunning. I guess it just proves what we all know-that you're not just listening to the speakers but the electronics as well.

When I first heard the Heresy's/Integra combo I couldn't understand what you guys liked so much about the Heresy's. But they sound like an entirely different speaker with Marantz-no harshness on the high-end and the bass much more defined.

David

----------------

On 4/25/2005 3:21:51 PM rplace wrote:

So, dkp, do you happen to recall what the finish was on the Belles? OO, WO, OL, WL, other?

----------------

rplace-sorry, you've asked this twice and I didn't answer. I am probably not the best person to ask as I am not very familiar with the Heritage line, but I can tell you that they are in the same finish as the K-horns. Oiled Walnut? Sorry for the delay and lack of good info...

Their telephone number is (810) 742-2000 if you'd like to call and find out for sure.

David

Excellent! WO is what I am looking for. So who wants to split the pair??? If you live along the way between Flint, MI and Baltimore, MD you might just get them deliverd for free. You would have to have a house built in the median between east and west bound Ohio turnpike or live at one of the rest stops...I'll throw it out as I drive by...maybe I'll slow down a bit.

Seriously, I want a single belle...but would have to have a few things fall into place first...any interest out there?