Jubilee project underway

bigdnfay

now that I have reviewed yet again the AES article it occurs to me that this bass bin may be an improvement, in general, over the existing klipschorn bass bin...it could be used in a three way system where someone wanted to cross over from the bass bin a bit higher...tony

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

maron,

maybe I was not clear, I think we agree...the problem with two way is asking the mid to run so wide...500-18000, 800-18000 all of this is tough...but if you go three way you can limit the mid to 500-5000, 300-4000 and let the tweeter go above that, every driver is happy...personally I think the cross over bass/mid should be 300-500 no higher, I like the sound that way...the mid/treble to me sounds best at 4000-5000 (the higher the better)...regards, tony

Sunnysal....I agree. Ive never found a mid driver that was smooth over its intire bandwidth. Even the classic Be diaphramed TAD mid units. And Ive looked for a long long time. I just recieved a catalogue from radian with a new mid driver with a 5 slit phaze plug ( like TAD 4001) Radian claims 400hz to 20K chart looks good will try to borrow one to see what it will really do ( radian 950)

This IS certainly subject to debate, so here's my 2 cents:

With the higher bandpass capability of the Jubilee bass horn, the appropriate crossover point would be best if it made the most of the output from the bass horn as there are 2x12" drivers there for that specific reason.

The immediate benefit of this is that:

1) a smaller midrange horn can be employed with a higher natural Fc; this saves money as well as space.

2) a driver for said horn that would have less low freq response and therefore a lessened requirement of a specific power rating; resulting in less expense.

The bottom line is if you want a 400Hz crossover (and the required larger midrange horn), then get a KHORN; the Jubilee is specifically MADE for a higher crossover point.

The splay angles of the Jubilee add a lot of extra work and eat space floor space FOR WHAT END?! Think about it!

DM2.gif

----------------

On 4/28/2005 10:22:45 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Sunnysal....I agree. Ive never found a mid driver that was smooth over its intire bandwidth. Even the classic Be diaphramed TAD mid units. And Ive looked for a long long time. I just recieved a catalogue from radian with a new mid driver with a 5 slit phaze plug ( like TAD 4001) Radian claims 400hz to 20K chart looks good will try to borrow one to see what it will really do ( radian 950)

----------------

Maron, please post your findings when you get them, this is VERY interesting. I know many of us would consider a 2-way setup.

DM

----------------

On 4/28/2005 10:22:45 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

----------------

Check out the StageAccompany Ribbons! And they easily match the efficiency of the Horns. Amazing drivers!

http://www.stageaccompany.com/menu/prodload.html

Good post! That is quite an improvement on ribbon power handling (60W).

They would make a good tweeter. LFc of 1KHz, though. That means that it's still only a tweeter in the case of the Heritage and (maybe) the Jubilee horns. Smells rather expensive, too. But definitely worth a look-see, for sure.

Now if they went down to, say, 600Hz, then we talkin'.

DM2.gif

Maron,

The only 950 they have on their website is the 950PB, and only goes to 500Hz. It and the 850 both have a much more extended high end than other drivers I've seen charts for. I wonder if they are true? 2.gif

Marvel

The 950PB is the one I,m talking about they sent me a chart SPL vs Freq. It looks pretty good at 400Hz. Talking to a Rep. at Radian for home use he thinks its safe. But for Pro use 800hz is safer. The JBL 2441 Aluminum diaphram with diamond surround is very popular & is a underdamped vc/diaphram. I like the JBL 2450SL with the titanium aquaplazed coated diaphram (damped) It sounds like the aliminum but will last longer. The straight titanium without coating sounds different and not as smooth sounding. But on the PB950 its the 5 slit phase plug that i,m interested in. This could add a bit more clarity. But then again I might be pissing up a rope. But its my call to try it. Some people dont like Radian aluminum diaphrams. I think it might be other things going on. Ive tried their Al in a JBL 375 it was OK. That driver takes a nose dive anyway at 8K Hz.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 6:19:11 PM bigdnfay wrote:

Got started on my project this week. Got about 24 hours in them so far.

----------------

Looking great... are these the first pair of inverse engineered Jubilees? 4.gif

I know you mentionned going with a two way as PWK intended... but did you mention the crossover point you are aiming for?

Rob