Hartsfield vs. Khorns?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody but me noticed that Fini is on a major roll lately. Nice to see that your humor is still intact after your recent loss.

Take no quarter, full pun ahead!

I always thought the Hartsfield bass bin was almost the same as a khorn but with the corner built in.

I have the Mccaulley copy of the jbl horn lens and its l nice sounding horn. with a more short through than the klipsch and altec horns so it works nice up close.

I would mind a pait or even Hartsfield to add to the collection.

Does seem like the Jubilee bass bin is similar to the Hartsfield Hmmm And I though Klipsch had it out for Jbl copying the Khorn.

58---Yeah, I used to have a pair of those McCauley lenses, 130 degree pattern as I recall. Very nice sound tonally, no sawzall. I found the pattern too wide for my room and speaker placement though.

That's one of the nice things about DIY horns; don't like this pattern try another.

I have to admit for having a soft spot for the Hartsfield even though I have never had the opportunity of hearing a pair. They seem to have good engineering and JBL's top of the line drivers at that time. Other than the cheesy one driver version, there didn't seem to be any compromises for cost savings applied. Original price must have put it beyond the reach of most Klipsch shoppers.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 9:39:45 PM khorn58 wrote:

I always thought the Hartsfield bass bin was almost the same as a khorn but with the corner built in.

----------------

Nope... from the shop drawings i have... the Hartsfield's bass-bin folding is quite different from the Khorn or Jubilee. I would kinda describe them somewhere in-between. The exterior (horn mouth and general profile) has a striking resemblance the Jubeliee even though Klipsch designed it many years later. Anyone know what PWK thought of them?

The Hartsfield was originally rare and expensive... so today's prices reflect that. OTOH the Khorn was omnipresent and a bargain for what you got... then and now. I see it more of a question of diminishing returns...

Rob

PWK placed the Hartsfield on his list of "Great Major Breakthroughs" along with the "Imperial" and "Laguna" - both well thought of then and now - as well as lesser lights like the LEE Catenoid, deMars, Fold-a-Flex, and Integral Space Transducer - whatever that was. The Shorthorn's on that list too, along with the note "Yup, we did it too."

The late Hartsfields were quite impressive, especially after JBL added the "Silver Bullets" to them. The earlier ones were lacking in the top end. Definitely the one of the best examples of West Coast sound.

The 2-page ad by PWK was called "HO HUM Another major breakthrough" and gave a list of 28 supposed "major breakthroughs" in which a discarded speaker design was "re-invented." The title of the list was sarcastic, in other words, and PWK admitted that he himself had fallen for it with his own Shorthorn, which closes the list.

So don't interpret it as an endorsement of the Hartsfield. The ad actually is making fun of it (rightfully so).

Sorry, didn't mean to give the impression PWK was endorsing anything - the rest of the flyer is a swipe at the Bose 901 - only that there are some pretty good speakers on the list, along with some that are truly bizarre. (Wonder why he missed out on the Karlson Rocket?)