just ordered...the RF-7 system

--udson

Sounds like the black is going to look really great in your setup. My RF-7's are being used on my 2-channel setup, for music! :) I got my RF-7's a few months back. I'm very pleased with them. I was using Martin Logans before the RF-7. I just sold the ML's about 2 weeks ago, glad they are off my hands now.

I agree, it's pretty low per year and I spent much more than my budget too, but Klipsch RF-7 gives a lot at a great value, so does my Rotel equipment so I'm set for years of great music listening and the quality, detail, and realism this combo gives me, has far exceeded my expectations. Good luck to you and enjoy those RF-7's when you get them, and give them time to break-in before any serious listening should be done because they take some break-in time, even just a couple of hours they start to settle in. Some say they take about 100 to 200 hours to break-in. My break-in went pretty smooth. 1.gif

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I think I've heard of MLs before (sorry not an audiophile yet). Geez, 5x's the price? Wow.

Yeah, next Friday will hopefully be the day. I will probably watch 10 hours worth of movies that weekend. 10.gif

I've read recently on the AVS forums (apparently some in the know) that speaker break-in beyond the first hour is a myth. I'm not sure who to believe on it anymore. Did you hear appreciable differences beyond that point? And how would a speaker be damaged from being played too loud too soon?

Martin Logans are nice speakers and at one time I considered "upgrading" to them but couldn't do it because I was so impressed by the Klipsch upper end reference sound. I went into our local Tweeter and listened to their ML setup countless times and kept thinking that it didn't sound any better than my setup at home--In fact with my subs, didn't compare even if they would have been the same cost (and not 4 times higher;-)

Tweeter also set up a room with all ML towers which sounded nice and looked extremely cool, but not an upgrade in my book. It appears you are going to have a nice Home Theater1.gif Enjoy!

----------------

On 5/7/2005 5:04:33 PM ]

I've read recently on the AVS forums (apparently some in the know) that speaker break-in beyond the first hour is a myth. I'm not sure who to believe on it anymore. Did you hear appreciable differences beyond that point? And how would a speaker be damaged from being played too loud too soon?

----------------

[/blockquote>

I am in the "myth" camp. If there were a break in time it would be in the instructions IMO.

Mine sounded nice from the first time I played them but I did notice some changes in the first couple of hours, after that......I couldn't tell if any other changes took place.

When I first played them, there were some slight bright/harshness in the upper end but playing them over the first two hours it would get less and less and then completely disappeared. Now I never get that at all. So to be safe, I would say give it two hours of play and then listen to see if the sound has improved. 9.gif

Interesting read guy's,

Those M.L.'s sound quite the opposite the Klipsch for sure. I'm getting a real boxy mid and exaggerated highs with my Paradigm's and am giving the 7's some serious thought. 6- months left on the trade in time.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

----------------

On 5/7/2005 6:09:14 PM KathyMason wrote:

Mine sounded nice from the first time I played them but I did notice some changes in the first couple of hours, after that......I couldn't tell if any other changes took place.

When I first played them, there were some slight bright/harshness in the upper end but playing them over the first two hours it would get less and less and then completely disappeared. Now I never get that at all. So to be safe, I would say give it two hours of play and then listen to see if the sound has improved.
9.gif

----------------

I recently hooked up a new pair of RF 7's and I have had similar results. I am currently powering these with a 7 channel 125 watt per Adcom amp , although the collective wisdom of the forum recommends 200 watt per channel amp. My current setup has more than performed its duties. I did notice a small amount of harhness when first hooked up but after several hours of use they really are amazing. I believe pound for pound the RF 7's are THE best bang for the buck, as I have had many auditions of other speakers all across the price range.

If you have the power available, you can pound the living hell out of the RF-7 and not hurt them. Your ears will give up way before the speaker! They are pretty tough speakers and do not need to be treated with kid gloves. Remember, "if you have the power" you can blast them hard. If you only have a reciever (100watts x 6 channels) be careful when you are past the 70% mark on the volume knob. You will be getting in major clipping territory and that will hurt any speaker. Good Luck and enjoy those nice RF-7s!

Just for S&G's, I did actually crank my system up as far as the dial would go on the Denon just to "see what it could do". Talk about friggan LOUD! I was pegging the needle on the Rat-Shack meter! I ended up leaving the house, and even in the front yard, it was too damn loud! The funny thing, though, it was completely drowning out the dude's car that was thumping the rap-crap next door. One of my neighbers came out of his house with that "what the hell is that?" look on his face! The interesint thing was that the system did not show any signs of distortion or stress! That B&K probably had even more it could've dished out if the dial went up even higher.

Needless to say, I've never did that again!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Speakers

All Klipsch

RF-7 (Fronts) RC-7 (Center) RC-7 (Rear) RF-5 (A Surrounds) RS-7 (B Surrounds)

This applies to this thread. I remember a thread where we were talking about the RF-7s filling a 40X40 room. This post seems to confirm that they would easily fill the room.

S2KKDS,

The RF-7s don't need much power, but they do need an amp that can drive the 2.8 ohm minimum impedance with ease. Such amps are usually higher wattage models. The high wattage also provieds more headroom. Headroom is always desirable as long as the first watt is clean.

Bill

Man, I got the mains and the center, which I stuck right into my system. UPS screwed up and didn't deliver my amp last night, like it was supposed to, and that killed me, even though I could still run the speakers effectively off my reciever. I don't even want to imagine how frustrated you are!

Good luck, and congrats on having more patience than me!

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Im thinking about getting Rf-7's and my friend said the polk audio LSi series is the best in that price range. I have a Yamaha reciever and I just got a samsung 61" DLP HDTV. My old speakers just dont seem to cut it with the big screen, so Im in the market for new speakers and i want the best for my money. Does anyone have a comparison or an opinion between the Rf 7's and Polk LSI series?

Thanks