Need exact internal cabinet measurements of heresy 1

jwc

Would someone please measure the internal dimensions of the heresy one for me. I know the external dimensions.

I need:

Inside top to bottom

Inside side to side

Inside of motorboard to inside of back cover.

Also external dimensions of the base of the crossover H x W x D.

Thanks so much

jc

Todd,

I don't need the height including the components on the crossover. I just want the dimensions of the wood base. I'm sure the height is 3/4 inch. But what is the width and depth?

The Heresy doesn't have "butt" joints like the Cornwalls. Therefore I am not visualizing the internals very well. Also, I don't know if the motorboard is offset from the front 5/8 inch like the Cornwall.

jc

jc,

I have several sets of Heresy crossovers lying around and measured a few of them. 5 1/2 X 9 1/2 seems to be a likely size, however I have one set that is 5 1/2 X 11. There was not a standard size that was used all the way through. Also some are on 1/2 inch plywood and some are on 3/4 inch.

Bob Crites

Jc,

My set of Heresy I have the motor board set in 7/16 inch. All the cabinet is 3/4 inch plywood and the outside measurements are 13 1/4 X 21 1/4. That would give an internal measurement of 11 5/16 X 19 3/4.

Bob Crites

Bob

I'm with ya. If the motorboard is offset 7/16, then I agree with an:

internal depth:

11 5/16

internal height:

19 3/4

Is your external width....15 1/2? Making internal width:

14"?

jc

If the above internal dimensions are correct, then the Heresy 1 internal volume is 1.810131 cubic feet.

Yes, this excludes the volume of the drivers/horns, 3/4 inch mounting pieces, and crossover.

Bob, your Heresy does have the 3/4 inch strips in the front and back to mount the motorboard and back cover....right?

jc

On Heresy insulation, I don't understand the physics or sonics of the issue, but for some reason PWK didn't do in this speaker what so many designers do in other designs. While I've heard some people say it's absence was an economy feature, I don't think Mr. Paul would have skimped if a few cents worth of stuffing if it would have improved the sound.

One disclaimer, I haven't tried it. Others have and say their speakers sound better.

Interesting issue. Curious to me, but out of my depth.

DJK,

Is it true? 12mm back cover? That's about 1/2 inch.

Is there anyone that can speak up to the thickness of their back cover.

Am I to assume the motorboard on that Heresy was 12mm thick?

Todd,

I may plan on some dampening. However, if I make a cabinet, i'm not relying on thunderbass. I just need good quick bass that integrates well with the sqwuaker.

jc

The early Heresys had the thinner back (removable back models), while the HIIs are all 3/4 inch with access through the front by removing drivers. The transition models are up for grabs. A slight difference isn't going to matter much.

My '78 model Heresy I's have a 1/2" back panel.

My single Heresy II has a large piece of grey foam in it. I asked Trey Cannon the following:

1. What was it for?

2. Can I cut it and glue it to the insides?

His response:

1. To control "bounce" in the cabinet.

2. Yes.

Follow-on question: Does the Heresy I have this "bounce"?

His response: Yes.

Tom