Bose vs. Klipsch

CAS

One of the new style Best Buy stores in the area actually has a switching setup that compares most all of their available brands against each other(and includes Bose side by side with the rest).

I've always seen Bose in it's own location, corner, or even listening studio so the products are completely isolated from the rest of the brands. But here you can push a button and instantly change from one setup to the other.

Needless to say I don't think they'll be selling many Accoustimass modules this year. It really was that bad. Ugh.

thats REALLY good to hear9.gif. I wish my BB store would do that11.gif . I do agree, not many sales will come from the bose surround sound systems. Probably will hurt sales on the other bose products too10.gif

thanks for sharing,

scp53

It's not hard to compete against a 2" paper cone driver. I don't even waste my time discussing audio with people who buy that stuff. These are people who don't do any homework, or even take the time to make some simple comparisons in the store. The reward for their laziness is crappy sound -- which is what they deserve.

ok Deang dont bother with me. I made the "mistake" of buying some bose 901s 15 years ago to listen to music. I still use them just for music and havent heard a better pair yet. yeah the accoustimass might be a rip but come over and listen to a pair of classics- I swear you wont be disappointed.

Again, more reflexive Bose-bashing, much of it deserved given the company's aggressive marketing, overpricing and generally poor resultant price-versus-quality.

And again, the 901's are an exception being virtually the only good, high-quality loudspeaker Bose makes. I have both Klipschorns and 901 VI's in separate setups and am in a position to know.

Do an author "DTLongo" plus subject "Bose 901" search for more on this if you're interested.

My KG1's sound more articulate and dynamic than a pair of 901's - Yuk!

9 full range drivers and equalizer to compensate for no highs and no lows. That and a Carver 1.5t to get them enough power to be listenable.

I have owned 201's, 301 II's, 601 III's, and 901's (VI) all crap! Never sounded more than decent at best.

The best I have ever heard them sound is in a rectangular room that had four of them hanging equal heights and distances from the wall in all four corners with a BOSE receiver that had the EQ built in, it was very nice but far from jaw dropping.

All the bose ive heard(book shelfs and acountmass systems) is average or below average in bang for the buck(thats putting it mildly). I'd be interested in hearing the bose 901's though. for those on this forum that have the 901's, what kind of power to you run to them? do you have to eq them a ton to make them sound right? like how many dB do you have to eq the highs?

scp53

To Bad BB does not carry the reference series, then people could really here the difference :)

I have a buddy who bought a bose system and paid around $2100.00 for it. He listened to my system and was not happy when I told him what a good deal you could on Klipsch. I would say he will be upgrading soon :)

On 5/9/2005 7:17:14 AM Frzninvt wrote:

9 full range drivers and equalizer to compensate for no highs and no lows.

Charles, a similar argument can be said against vinyl! 2.gif

No, I don't want to start a flame war, and... I can't believe I'm defending Bose! 6.gif

(Because I mostly agree with you anyway...)

The original Bose 901's Series 1's and 2's (late 1960's - early 1970's) were very inefficient and required gobs of power. The series III's that came out around 1975 were a major redesign involving a complex, molded ported enclosure, edge-wound voice coil drivers, equalizer improvements and so forth. They worked well with anything from 25 watts on up. The Series IV's through VI's had other incremental improvements. The VI's came out around 1987 and I think are still the current version of the 901's. I earlier had III's and in 1988 bought the VI's that I still have.

All the 901's require Bose's dedicated equalizer to sound their best. Bose sells the 901's and the equalizer as a set. The EQ boosts the bass, cuts the midrange and boosts the treble so that the nine 4" drivers in each enclosure reproduce the full range pretty well. The difference the equalizer makes is remarkable. Without it, the speakers are dull and lifeless. With it, they sparkle.

These speakers are not for everyone but, to my ear, they are pretty good at what they do. Nice full clear rich sound with, to my ear, very good imaging. Since some of the reflected sound is aimed to re-converge at the center sweet spot, to my ears the 901's center-imaging is quite satisfying.

If you have a chance to give the 901's a decent listen, take advantage of it with open ears. Acoustimass-type stuff they are not. If you are in my area, I would be happy to demo mine. They are in a different area of the house so I can't A-B them directly with the Khorns, but you'd get an idea.

i work for bose currently, ive heard everything they make... we have piles of every speaker bose ever made in the studio i work in..

even the bose audio engineers just about soil themselves when i tell them i own cornwalls.. bose has never, and does not currently make any quality speakers, period..

bose audio engineers dont even use bose speakers in the recording studios.

On 5/9/2005 9:04:00 PM NatGun wrote:

i work for bose currently, ive heard everything they make... we have piles of every speaker bose ever made in the studio i work in..

even the bose audio engineers just about soil themselves when i tell them i own cornwalls.. bose has never, and does not currently make any quality speakers, period..

bose audio engineers dont even use bose speakers in the recording studios.

Don't let Bose find out your real name if you want to keep that job! 2.gif

thats the scary thing, they are super heavy handed with that kind of stuff... the other audio engineers tell me to keep my voice down when i talk to them about speakers, and most of them dont want me sharing whatever info i hear at work even to other bose employees..

trust me, i havent even scratched the surface of what ive seen and heard...

NatGun, if you are really with Bose you've got guts. Hope they don't "find you out."

I am dredging my memory now but didn't Bose largely make its reputation with the 901's? Didn't the company's descent into Acoustimass-type systems, car audio, waveguide radios and other marketized superhype not really start until well into the 1980's?

If so, that would not conflict with my own ears' sense that the 901, uniquely for Bose, ain't a bad speaker. (The 301's aren't, either.)

P.S. I recently did a search and some reading on Bose's lawsuit years ago against Consumer's over a review of the original 901's. Both sides' contentions had some plausibility and they both, I think, ended up with egg on their face. The question finally turned on an issue of free speech, not Bose's or Consumer's contentions over the quality of the 901. Still, Bose acquired a rep for sue-happiness that follows them to the present day, I gather.

if Bose sells their speakers at a reasonable price, the Bose-bashing party would have been non-existence.

Pair of Bose CMM-A2 Multimedia Speakers with single 2.5" drivers for 99 bucks? For God sake, please! Talking about breaking the law of physics!