HK 730 Whats all the fuss about?

spaaaz

The H/K x30 line.. 430, 630, 730 and 930 are a 70's vintage twin powered receiver line. They are champs in SS bang for the buck that also happen to drive Heritage speakers quite nicely. I'm not clear on the technical issues, something to do with extended bandwidth.

They can be found on Ebay, most of the time and sell sometimes for less than $50.

By twin powered, it means they have separate power supplies for each channel. They seem to sound more solid with more poewr than their actual WPC rating.

For a while, you could get them easily under $50, but even at $100 they are a nice receiver. I just got a 730 from someone on the forum, and paid him $100.

I think the 430 has only one aux and one phono to go with the other inputs. Mine has two aux and two phono inputs. The higher number x30s have more power as well. They look clean and sound great.

If you get one for under $50, you can't go wrong. I am still very happy woth the one I got although I paid more.

Marvel

I ran a HK730 with my KHorns in the early 80's, after having it run my Heresys before that. Never really appreciated how 'right" it got things..the attenuator went south on me and I chucked it about 1990..now of course I wish I had just repaired the thing! Guess I thought it was easily replaceable! Live and learn!

Steve

Guest Anonymous

Afternoon-

A good friend of mine has one, and the fuses blow constantly. I think it may be bad output resistors, but I am not sure. Do any of you guys have an idea of what it might be that is wrong with it. Is it a common thing with the HKs. My NAD did the same thing and the output resistors were shot on that one too. Anyways, just a thought.

Best,

George

Guest Anonymous

Afternoon-

A good friend of mine has one, and the fuses blow constantly. I think it may be bad output resistors, but I am not sure. Do any of you guys have an idea of what it might be that is wrong with it. Is it a common thing with the HKs. My NAD did the same thing and the output resistors were shot on that one too. Anyways, just a thought.

Best,

George

Guest Anonymous

Afternoon-

Best,

George

Greetings all

Just picked up a hk770 from a forum member and an looking for a pre amp for it... I would like to find the hk725 pre amp...anyone have one they want to part with or have any other suggestions?

regards

Dana

clark.clark4@comcast.net

It has:

two aux inputs

two phono inputs

pre out and power in

connections for two sets of speakers.

mute adjust pot

antenna connections

I can't remmeber the rest, as I dropped it off at a friend's house in Atlanta yesterday.

Marvel

G- have your friend replace ALL of the fuses, there are some on back panel, some on bottom, some inside unit (UNPLUG FIRST) In total , I think there are 8. SEARCH for HK and there is a lengthy post by Andy HDBRbuilder that started the whole ruckus regarding these treasures.

Michael

Marvel,

I think the 730 has two full tape monitor loops plus the pre in/outs. Very flexible design.

spaazzz, next time tell us you are going after it (the 730 on ebay). A lot of us here will drop back if another forum member really wants or needs something. When i saw your post re "what is all the fuss...." i didn't see any reference to the two on ebay, so i bid on the cleaner one.

I have been bidding on it and just noticed it t'was you bumping the price up. I am pulling back so you can get it, and i will wait until the next clean 730 or 930 shows up. Enjoy, and think nice thoughts about me2.gif2.gif

. . . and if anyone has a clean 730 or 930 , y'all know where to find me.