Beautiful K Horns in TX on Ebay!

Bill H.

Yep, and already some newbie EBayer is already in a pissing contest driving up the price while building his/her ego with the full term to run!

Who cares who is ahead with 6 days to go!?????????

Maybe there should be a clinic with instructions on how to bid properly!? Learn what sniping is! And lay low until the end! Unless you just like driving up prices!

8.gif14.gif15.gif

For anyone who has ever *sold* anything on eBay, the practice of last-second bidding is stressful. If *you* had a pair of Klipschorns up for auction, would *you* appreciate no bids the first 6 days, 23 hours, 59 minutes, and 45 seconds? Would you be willing to risk a couple thousand dollars worth of your speakers that some bidders would appear in the last 15 seconds?

----------------

On 5/15/2005 8:46:22 PM dragonfyr wrote:

Yep, and already some newbie EBayer is already in a pissing contest driving up the price while building his/her ego with the full term to run!

Who cares who is ahead with 6 days to go!?????????

Maybe there should be a clinic with instructions on how to bid properly!? Learn what sniping is! And lay low until the end! Unless you just like driving up prices!

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/8.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/14.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/15.gif">

----------------

When there is a reserve "laying low until the end" might not work. Sniping is great (I have done it 100s of times) when there's no reserve, but on someting like these you might get shut out--perhaps he was just fishing to see how high the reserve is and has found out it is much higher than he is willing to go.

I HATE auctions with reserves.

If you are buying, you bid as high as you are willing to spend If someone out bids you because they bid higher, it is above what you were willing to spend, not above what you wanted to spend! So I am not sure of the point here! (Unless one wants to spend more then they were willing to spend??????? huh? 9.gif )

As far as worrying about a reserve or the the seller... As a buyer? The seller risks nothing (aside from a listing fee). But I can see where one might wonder! 2.gif Still, you set your maximum price you are willing to spend and bid at the last minute (preferably with software so you don't have to mess with trying to place a bid at 3:38AM on Thursday morning... If the reserve is above what you wanted or were willing to spend....well? They wanted more then you were willing to spend! The inability to walk away from a deal if it exceeds your desire is the buyer's issue!

Advertising your interest simply makes the compettion bid higher then they would have bid otherwise. And since everyone (well...) knows that sniping is allowed you plan accordingly.

Aside from the negatives of telescoping your interest or of the rocket scientists whose egos require massaging as they attempt to counter every bid for 7 days, it's pretty basic strategy! And the explanation of sniping used to be a fundamental part of the site's orientation. But who knows where and what EBay tells others now... After all, EBay bought Paypal, and just peruse www.paypalsucks.com for an eye opener!.

9.gif9.gif

I have been using esnipe for over three years. I just hate being the high bidder on a reserve auction and not meeting the reserve, that's all. I agree that it's pretty dumb to bid before the last 6 seconds--that is unless Esnipe FAILS as it does about 1% of the time--then you're REALLY pissed off! I once missed out on a Dizzy Reece record that I KNOW I would have won but Esnipe failed me and a couple of years went by before I found another one!

But as a seller I sometimes put in a reserve--if I expect to get more than $600 for a record I ususally put a reserve in for about $450. Only one time did I have an auction not meet the reserve as a seller.

These days I only buy two or three things a month on ebay because the prices have just gone out of control. I only wish I had WAITED to sell some of the records I sold 2-3 years ago . . .

True. Bids can be falsified.

Although 'frowned upon', there is really nothing to stop one from having several friends create a few profiles and to buy a few items (thus establishing a history of purchases) or having family or friends with legitimate accounts bid your price up. Afterall, for a big ticket item, it is easy and you would normally have plenty o lead time as you determine when you sell!

After all, negative aspects would be just about nonexistent. Listing fees are 'credited' upon relisting if you don't get the price you wanted and your 'friend' was the high bidder who later 'backed out'. Leaving Bad feedback is solely up to your discretion...etc.

It would be easy to orchestrate such a manipulation if one simply plans ahead and is aware of the process.

Neat huh?2.gif9.gif

----------------

On 5/15/2005 10:18:56 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I have been using esnipe for over three years. I just hate being the high bidder on a reserve auction and not meeting the reserve, that's all. I agree that it's pretty dumb to bid before the last 6 seconds--that is unless Esnipe FAILS as it does about 1% of the time--then you're REALLY pissed off! I once missed out on a Dizzy Reece record that I KNOW I would have won but Esnipe failed me and a couple of years went by before I found another one!

But as a seller I sometimes put in a reserve--if I expect to get more than $600 for a record I ususally put a reserve in for about $450. Only one time did I have an auction not meet the reserve as a seller.

These days I only buy two or three things a month on ebay because the prices have just gone out of control. I only wish I had WAITED to sell some of the records I sold 2-3 years ago . . .
----------------

I agree!

It used to be that you could find reasonable deals. But now EBay has become like Sams Club or Costco. Folks assume that because its there that it MUST be a deal! Nonsense! Some things are, many things are NOT!

Too often they have no idea of the list or retail price for the new item and the newer folks simply get caught up in the bidding frenzy and end up paying more then retail!

This happens all the time, especially with items such as records and CDs where the local retail price or a price online with shipping is less then their bid price plus the shipping! So they often pay more for used then they do new!

It certainly pays to be a 'consumer shopper' on EBay and know comparison prices!

Well I have around 200 deals on ebay so Im not a newbie.I don't think it matters how much is bid how fast. I couple weeks back I saw a TT I wanted for a long time. It was up for 9 days and started at 1 penny. I bid 701.99 right off the bat. I was not going to go a cent higher. It stayed at my price till a few minutes left and went for 705.00 if I remember right. Its up to how bad someone wants something I think. I was probably 200.00 bucks to high but it was like it was in a time capsule and it was worth it to me cause my dad used one. I'm sure people could not believe it went for so much and thought I was crazy. Just my 2cents.

You can do a lookup of closed auctions for a particular item and see what the trends are. And if the item is still in the database you can query its condition, etc. So this feature is most useful for items with fairly static pricing that doesn't involve condition, etc.

There are many useful tools that many don't use...

By all means, feel free to bid as high as you want, depending on how highly you wnat it!

My focus is on finding deals.

And watching 2 folks bid in $2 increments each 5 minutes for 6 days all to satisfy their egos while bidding above retail is a bit absurd! And it happens far too often! A classic example is Suse Linux! People routinely bid greater then retail for the boxed version! And that is before shipping! It's hilarious!

From a buyer's point of view you don't advertise you interest nor place an early bid! As ALL it does is advertise your interest and force others to bid higher thinking they may outbid you.

Why not wait, let the other rocket scientist with whom you might have gotten into pissing contest simply think their $10 bid is fine! So you come back (if smart, your SOFTWARE comes back!) and bid $20 with 3 seconds to go! Or if you were willing to spend $200, bid $200! The other guy may only have bid $30 thinking no one else was interested! But he may have bid higher knowing you were waiting if you show your hand!

This isn't that complicated! And I agree, buyer's perspective is not the same as a seller's perspective! But, likewise, it makes no sense to combine/confuse the two.

----------------

On 5/15/2005 10:44:42 PM psg wrote:

You can do a lookup of closed auctions for a particular item ...

Yup. The one I posted about, at US$1,375.00, is
closed!

That seems a very low price...

----------------

Unless you can see the item listing, sometimes it is hard to determine condition or possible mitigating circumstances.

Other times it can be a heads up to let you know to take your time and wait for a better opportunity until you get such a deal, depending on when the auction closes, etc. or some other circumstance. That is the fun part! Strategizing!

Other times it makes you want to kick yourself for not catching it yourself!!! I've found far too many of those!!!!

The lame part is watching egos in a bidding war as that takes me out of the picture, as they simply inflate the price!

----------------

On 5/15/2005 11:12:04 PM wrench_peddler wrote:

The set that sold for $1375 started out as birch and were trimmed and veneered and not very well at that. Price was about right.

----------------

Ah... Thanks.

So $2100 for 1978 Walnut Oil is an okay and fair price? (Last minute doubts)

D-fly,

You seem to know Ebay inside and out... I was going to bid on some beautiful oak/cane corns in Dallas. My sis-inlaw advised staying out and sniping at the end. I did, the seller closed the auction early with the corns going to a private deal outside the auction. I corresponded with the seller - discovered I was prepared to pay a couple hundred more than the private deal (he practically gave them away).

If I had placed my bid early wouldn't that have kept the seller from going to a cheaper sale outside?

I'm pretty clueless about bay...

Paul

Paul,

It never hurts to inqure (as that other eBayer did) about the chances of purchasing an item immediately. Now, to stay within eBay's rules, I'd ask if the seller would consider a "Buy-It-Now" price. Especially now that sellers can post your questions right there in the auction.