Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 16

thebes

Well I just finished buiding a kick *** system fronted by Cornwalls, so to help burn in the newer components and tubes I've been throwing just about everything at it. I don't like to pidgn-hole my music to much so I have a bit of everything from the sublime to the bizarre. Hadn't heard this week's recommendation in awhile so I thought throw it into the mix.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Enya, "The Celts", cd, new wave

I guess they call it ambient now, or maybe they still call it new wave, but although I don't listen to it very often, I enjoy it when I do. I think this is her most popular release and does well to paint various moods and layering of music. very much eletronic driven, with a very subtle undertone of Irish. Thebes Recommended.

So what do you have to share this week?

Here is something a bit outside the normal:

Luca Turilli, Prophet of the Last Eclipse

This is definitly about as progressive of metal as you can get. This even incorporates some electronic/techno elements to give it a pretty cool "sci-fi" feel. There is also a lot of orchestro/symphonic parts to it as well, complete with chorual parts throughout many of the tracks. Quite a few epic sounding tracks as well.

I did not know if I'd like it at first, since this is getting a bit out there, but I'll admit, this is pretty darn cool.

If you like Rhapsody, this is definitly worth checking out, as Luca Turilli was the composer as well as the guitarist for Rhapsody. Pretty amazing stuff once you get into listening to it. Definitly a bit different than what is typically heard on the local radio stations.

Brian Setzer Orchestra, "The Dirty Boogie," CD 1998. Same genre as Setzer's Stray Cats quartet, only with big band backing Setzer's vocals and blazing guitar in front. Very high energy, in a crisp recording. If you like big band, but with a more contemporary edge, this is it.

One of the cleanest rock/pop albums I've heard is "Bellybutton" by Jellyfish. Released in 1990, they had a pretty big hit with "That is Why". The production strikes me as what Queen might have sounded like if they weren't so dramatic and impressed with overdubbing vocals. Maybe a bit more about a good pop song, too. These guys were into stupid outfits, but the music really is fantastic.12021115jell2.jpg

Born2RockU, you should hear the drum sounds on this record. They are the ideal of a fat, natural tom sound and a great acoustic room sound in a rock setting.

The track "I Wanna Stay Home" reminds me of an American XTC without synths, if that makes any sense. Sparkly acoustic guitars and a great trumpet counter-melody are highlighted.

Of course, great production values and good songs also bring to mind Beatles comparisons, and this is no exception. The influence is apparent without being derivative, I think.

----------------

On 5/17/2005 9:39:25 PM ben. wrote:

One of the cleanest rock/pop albums I've heard is
"Bellybutton"
by
Jellyfish.
Released in 1990, they had a pretty big hit with
"That is Why".
The production strikes me as what Queen might have sounded like if they weren't so dramatic and impressed with overdubbing vocals. Maybe a bit more about a good pop song, too. These guys were into stupid outfits, but the music really is fantastic.
"<a
http://www.zhaocd.com/lib_b/12021115jell2.jpg" align=right border=0>

Born2RockU, you should hear the drum sounds on this record. They are the ideal of a fat, natural tom sound and a great acoustic room sound in a rock setting.

The track
"I Wanna Stay Home"
reminds me of an American XTC without synths, if that makes any sense. Sparkly acoustic guitars and a great trumpet counter-melody are highlighted.

Of course, great production values and good songs also bring to mind Beatles comparisons, and this is no exception. The influence is apparent without being derivative, I think.

----------------

Just picked this up due to your fine words, and it was in the used bin cheap! The rastafarian behind the counter said, "Oh yeah -- Jellyfish!"

Very good sound and songs--I'm still listening. The first few notes you hear are big and you know its going to be good--

Thanks for the recommendation--

For the best music sonic quality on my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's nothing in my collection beats one DVD I have.

Cirque Du Soleil - Dralion DVD

Anytime I want to show off my Klipsch speakers I put this DVD in.

I also have the audio CD but 5.1 is what I like!

Greg

Currently enjoying on my new LS BR's- ELP The Manticore 4-CD Box set. It's been gathering dust on the shelves for too long.

A career-long journey of some of England's finest. Disc one also features six new recordings, including 15 minutes of Pictures at an Exhibition. Father Christmas, 14 minutes of new Rondo, and Prelude and Fugue are also included. Great compilation. And yes, you get Karn Evil 9!

It's all their best, with some live recordings. But you still need the entire Brain Salad Surgery and 3 disc live Welcome Back my Friends... to be the total ELP afficianado.

Michael

----------------

On 5/21/2005 3:28:54 PM theryugobuddy wrote:

Just picked this up due to your fine words, and it was in the used bin cheap! The rastafarian behind the counter said, "Oh yeah -- Jellyfish!"

Very good sound and songs--I'm still listening. The first few notes you hear are big and you know its going to be good--

Thanks for the recommendation--

----------------

Great! Thanks for the feedback. I'm really glad you enjoy it. Enjoyment of music is so subjective, and it can be hard to make recommendations to others. Hopefully enough detail and description can provide a little direction. It's nice to know when someone digs what I suggest!

Gore Gore Girls'

7 X 4 GORE CD-EP

Seven killer tracks recorded at Jim Diamond's

Ghetto Recorders for the Girls' fall tour with THE

CRAMPS."Detroit's Gore Gore Girls put on a sensory-shocking show that has to be seen to be believed, as the band, named after a 1972 B-horror movie, combines the early elements of rock 'n' roll and R&B with a lo-fi edge sure to please hipsters, and go-go boots sure to please everyone else." Eric Mitts, Recoil Magazine 3-04 ps an they play big fat Gretsch guitars http://www.gretschguitars.com/artists/gore/index.html

Alright...for a change of pace from a guy that listens to Zeppelin and the like. Neil Diamond Gold,now before you think huh? this is a double cd with several live tracks.The recording quality is outstanding and the live tracks(which I almost did not buy the cd because of)are such great recordings it blowed me away.My 7s have never produced a more musical sound from top to bottom end.I grew up listening to Neil on the radio but never would have thought about buying an album.I heard I am..I said at a store and just bought it on impulse.Maybe its Klipsch,maybe its cause the live tracks sound so "live" but its one I'm glad I picked up for 12.99.