Star Wars : Episode III

skonopa

Well, I actually managed to see this tonight!

It is way, way better than the previous two.

The acting was actually pretty good, although Christian Heyden still does a bit of whining, but not nearly as much as in Ep. II. The dialog did not seem so contrived and corny this time. (at least it did not seem to be for me)

The special effects where actually quite good and did not seem to be so "overdone" like in the Ep. I.

Very dark, especially near the end - actually gave me the creeps there at one point - pretty tragic, to be honost - couldn't help to shed a tear there (yup, somebody will call me a 'dork' there).

Unfortunatly, it was not all well in Star Wars paradise. I guess there is a reason why I spent some serious coin to have my own setup. This will probably be the one and only time I'll see it at the theater (unless I end up going with friends). At the risk that I am coming off bragging, my own system really is much better quality-wise than the friggan theater. They needed to turn up the sound a bit more, and it seemed there was no surround effects in there. Not only that, but just not having to deal with morons at the theater was worth every dime I sunk into my own setup. Will be curious to see how this will be on my home system - a long wait before the DVD comes out.

What is the difference between a TIE-fighter and Anakin Skywalker. At least the TIE-fighter stops whining after it reaches its destination :o

The Mrs. went with some friends last night. She doesn't like Star Wars and doesn't care much about sounds/effects but she commented that the film was very good.

I get to see it tomorrow night with my brother, looking forward to it. (And to the DVD releae of course)

The acting was godawful and the dialog could have been written by a 10-year-old.

- Oh Anakin, I just want the baby to be safe.

- No, Padme, I am the one who wants our baby to be safe!

- But I love you.

- No, I am the one who loves you

- I love you more.

- No, I love you more.

- But I thought you loved the baby.

- Oh yes the baby, we all love the baby.

- How much do you love me?

- A lot... but not as much as the baby.

- Will you do me a favor then?

- Yes, my love

- Can you go kill yourself, you whiny brat, because if the baby hears its freaking father whining like that, it'll definitely grow up to be a *****.

I'm taking our senior high church youth group to it on Friday-20 kids going!

Well be seeing the movie at a theater that has a digital projector, allowing us to see the additional 10 minutes of the movie. Anyone know if the other theaters simply don't have the technology to to show the movie, or is it just Lucas wanting the best possible video quality for the extra minutes? I haven't read anything about this yet...

David

----------------

On 5/19/2005 2:01:05 AM skonopa wrote:

pretty tragic, to be honost - couldn't help to shed a tear there (yup, somebody will call me a 'dork' there).

----------------

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt a little emotional somthing. I made it stop before that tear bubbled up, but yeah, I could feel that lump in my throat. For me it was from two aspects, 1) it was a tragic ending, but two, because we have had star wars in our lives for close to 30 years and it was just a bit awe inspiring to finally see it all come to a close.4.gif

----------------

On 5/19/2005 5:35:05 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

pretty tragic, to be honost - couldn't help to shed a tear there (yup, somebody will call me a 'dork' there).

----------------

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt a little emotional somthing. I made it stop before that tear bubbled up, but yeah, I could feel that lump in my throat. For me it was from two aspects, 1) it was a tragic ending, but two, because we have had star wars in our lives for close to 30 years and it was just a bit awe inspiring to finally see it all come to a close.
4.gif

----------------

It's so true, I feel like watching all 6 now lol!

Easily my favorite star wars of them all. I dont understand why people keep bashing the acting, I thought it was fine. If you want something Oscar-caliber, go watch some other movie. If you want to watch a movie that involves the fantastic world of Star Wars - there is no better one than Episode III, IMO.

And yes, I had to hold back towards the end. It was pretty sad and a lump was in my throat.

----------------

On 5/19/2005 5:35:05 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

----------------

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt a little emotional somthing. I made it stop before that tear bubbled up, but yeah, I could feel that lump in my throat. For me it was from two aspects, 1) it was a tragic ending, but two, because we have had star wars in our lives for close to 30 years and it was just a bit awe inspiring to finally see it all come to a close.
4.gif

----------------

Totally agree. I was about to start crying like a little girl at the end, for the same reasons moon.

It totally blew me away...I didn't think it was possible after the travesties that were Episodes 1 & 2. I'll agree that there were a very few ackward moments with dialogue, but none of them pi$$ed me off as in previous films.

I've only seen it once, but I'd go so far as to say that this film might be better than ROTJ...Not as good as Star Wars or Empire though, but close. I kinda wish Lucas only made this movie, not the other two.

BTW, if anyone cares, the animated series Clone Wars fills in a LOT of what happens between Episodes 2 & 3, and is EXCELLENT. I'm a big fan of Genndy Tartakovsky, of Samurai Jack fame, and this animation is top notch, stylized, and action packed. The series contains 20 3-minute episodes and 5 12-minute episodes, and really fleshes out some of the ideas, situations, and characters in the films.

Anyway, loved the film, went in with the lowest of expectations and came out feeling like a kid again after seeing the old films.

Interesting. Sentiments here seem to be split 50/50. Personally, I have 4 friends that hated the flick. 1 who liked it, but didn't love it. I'll be seeing this flick tomorrow, and I'll report back with my feelings. Although I'm sure I won't be crying like some of you pansies. 3.gif

I've been talking to people who have seen this - and have read reviews on several forums, and it seems the general theme of the comments is as follows:

1. I and II are really just "setup" for a much better III.

2. This film is dark/evil as can be. And it should be - after all, it is Anikin's transformation to Darth Vader...

3. The acting, while not perfect by any means, is less noticed because of a much better action flow/story. If you don't walk in LOOKING for the acting issues, it's very enjoyable overall.

4. Political overtones/storyline: this is the first thing mentioned from friends/coworkers/family who know my political stripe. Essentially, this is the story of how a free republic willingly gives up its freedoms to descend into a dictatorship. Many lines in this film sound familiar (Darth Vader's "you are either with me, or you are with the enemy", etc).....which makes this the first thing my cohorts mention to me after seeing the film. This film may possibly contain the cinematic Quote of the Decade - "Only a Sith thinks in absolutes". That's bumper sticker material (as is "Sith Happens")1.gif

I have always been a fan of the Star Wars series, albeit disappointed with I and II. I am reading and hearing from many who feel the same that this is worthwhile. Therefore, I will be seeing this soon....I'll probably wait until next weekend, and catch "The Longest Yard" while I'm at it.

Went and saw it last night. Great movie I thought. Definatly best out of the first 3 episodes. Nothing will beat the original episodes IMO. Even my soon to be wife liked the movie. Though she hasn't seen the other 5.. Now she wants to see them.. Uh oh... I created another Star Wars freak. lol.

Crappiest part of episode III..

"Vader: Where is Padime. is she okay"

"Emporer: In your anger you killed her"

"Vader: ARRRGGGHHHHHH ($hit starts breaking..) NOOOOOOOOOOO"

So cheezy... Vader DOESNT YELL.. He's a hardass.. wtf... lol

Oh yeah, I better get some Klipsch home theatre speakers before the DVD comes out. Anyone got a couple grand I can bum?? :P

Indeed moon, I just thought its was kind of cheezy. Not the whole scene in itself. Mostly the yell itself. It was kind of like a half *** Vadar yell. The whole room should have blown up.

Edit: To put the yell into perspective... It's kind of like the yell that Luke lets out after Vadar tells him that he is his father. I'm sorry but that was a pretty bad yell...

----------------

On 5/20/2005 10:23:58 AM dblue wrote:

BTW, if anyone cares, the animated series Clone Wars fills in a LOT of what happens between Episodes 2 & 3, and is EXCELLENT. I'm a big fan of Genndy Tartakovsky, of Samurai Jack fame, and this animation is top notch, stylized, and action packed. The series contains 20 3-minute episodes and 5 12-minute episodes, and really fleshes out some of the ideas, situations, and characters in the films.

----------------

Yup! I've picked up the "Volume 1" DVD on the way home from work yesterday, as well as managed to figure out how to directly download the last 5 parts from the Star Wars website (took a little bit of snooping around in the code behind the web page to determine where the source of the .MOV files were. Once I found out, I downloaded them by putting the URL directly into my browser, instead of watching it through thier cheesy little thing). However, according to one website I saw, they "Volume 2" DVD is supposed to come out in August. I'll pick it up.

They were quite good, and really did flesh out the story more. They do take you right up to the beginning of the Episode III movie.

Kinda makes the downfall of Anakin seem that much more tragic, since you really get to know the character more after watching this Clone Wars thing (and he is not anywhere near as whiny as he was in the Episode II movie).