Show pics of your favorite ride.

sputnik

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/20/2005 10:28:37 AM Tom Blasing wrote:

Cyclone!! You have to get those S-Rated tires off of there!

----------------

That is a very old picture..... somewhere around '84, & that one was my wife's car. It had the small engine, a 351 4v, 300 hp, & every option offered except the sunroof.

I also had a white one with the 429cj & full drag pack.

Funny story... one late night we were coming back from Tahoe, she was driving the yellow one, & I was sleeping. I woke up to the sound of the engine wound up all the way. I looked over & we were doing 135. I asked her what she was doing & she said "look out the back window". (There was a Camaro Z28 just behind us.) She then yelled "I cant get rid of him!"

Since then, after loosing my license many times, the Cyclone's are now in storage & I drive a Festiva with 63 hp.

----------------

On 5/20/2005 10:28:37 AM Tom Blasing wrote:

In the back, is that a Granada and a Volare'/Aspen?

----------------

That was not at my house, so I dont know anything about those cars.

BTW... I had a montego GT for a while, & it ended up getting destroyed after I sold it , but I was able to retreve the GT hood. I still have it somewhere. I always thought it would be nice to cut the scoops off & have them mounted on my truck.

Corvette6769, agree.

I own a 5 seater SUV (GM Jimmy) but my philosophy as always been, if you need ground clearance or towing capacity, get a truck. My dad has a nice GM Sierra and its great! You can tow some dirt bikes, fit 6 people if you wanted and haul a lot of **** in the back. If you need cargo room, get a minivan. I cant even conceive of needing an off road vehicle that needs more cargo space than mine! I go snowboarding a lot, and I fit 4 people with all the gear no problem. I dont even have a snowboard rack and I can manage just fine. Maybe you can enlighten me as to why people need these things?

I have a very warped perception. I live in the east bay (bay area). The average person out hear makes like 10 million dollars a year or some crazy **** not me, Im broke. We have what you call "Soccer moms" Or mom's with lots of kids who have lots of friends who REFUSE at all costs to drive a far more practical minivan. So in essence we have a lot of yuppie women (and men too) on the road 90% of the time with a cell phone stuck in their ear not paying attention, driving these huge monstrosities on the freeway and streets. 99% of these things wont see two ouches of dirt in their lives.

The hummers are pretty bad too, in fact worse, but I kinda think the hummers look cool/cute/fun whatever ( but I would never own one because its a waste)

I think the yukons look ok, but are still kinda big. I got to drive a new minivan the other day and I was dumbfounded by the amount of cargo and seating capacity. These thing would put an Excursion to shame! and believe it or not this thing was fast as hell! Last month I rented a brand new 05 Lincoln Navigator (excuse me AKA Ford Expedition with an ugly grill), and this minivan would whop its *** in a drag race, get better gas mileage, and have more cargo room by far! I absolutely hated the Navigator, it was very cheap inside, crappy acceleration, felt like a boat and got terrible gas mileage.

Sorry for yelling at you, Im really sensitive to the giant suv topic. I just thing people buy them for the wrong reasons.

I have been driving a full sized 4x4 since long before they were "cool" or called SUVs and way before they were considered the "in thing".

Until you have on a regular basis busted 4" snow drifts, had her buried to the headlights in mud, towed an 80,000+ pound (would not admit his weight in front of the state trooper) semi tractor-trailer with gelled fuel up an overpass on ice, jump started a bulldozer out in the middle of a roughly plowed field, and weighed 21,000 hauling High performance Chevrolet engine parts to a Corvette show, you do not need an SUV or a 4x4 pickup, which most likely accounts for 95% of the SUVs on the road today (notice that I said on the road as I most have never been off of pavement and the biggest obstacle they ever encounter is the occasional curb they jump attempting to parallel park).

I have been heard to say that I would rather walk than drive a mini van. For me if it doesn't have 8 spark plugs, dual exhaust, 2 doors, bucket seats and a console, I don't want it. Even my Lincolns and new Cadillac fit this profile and for me to even consider a 4 door SUV is a huge departure from my philosophy over the last 30 years.

Sorry, cant do a picture.

My first car was a green with black top 1968 Dodge Charger RT w/ a 440 magnum. It could pass everything but a gas station, paid 300 dollars for it, had about 80+ K miles on it but was in pretty good shape. The main blew out so I sold it to a junkyard for $50.00.

----------------

On 5/21/2005 4:10:33 AM Speedball wrote:

...sold it to a junkyard for $50.00.
----------------

Been there....done that....we all had weak moments back then....not to mention all those donor muscle cars we parted out over the years that at the time seemed not worthwhile to repair.

Seemed that big block Camaros and Chevelles were growing on trees at the time, who would ever figure they would be worth $150,000.00 today.

But then again I suppose I benefited at the same time.....only paid $75.00 for the 1969 Camaro SS/RS 396 375 Horsepower car I own.

The Yukon is for perfect for our field work. It has strong low range grunt and an amazingly tight turn radius. It's very hard to find just a basic work rig that isn't a plushed out grocery getter. I don't even know if you can still get a manual transmision in one and forget about locking hubs. Still, I love the ones we have for work.

Here is a work vehicle we used in the Russian arctic. It was called a "vistahad" or something that sounded like that. They were noisy, cold, harsh riding, they stank of fuel, and broke down alot. But they did have a certain charm - they looked cool, they were also very fast and fun over the snow, and they were simple to repair on the fly.

Vistahad.jpg

Lets see more pics.

post-17394-13819266058182_thumb.jpg