I'm Irritable - I sold my Klipschorns...

edwinr

It's true. I did sell them.

AND I NOW HAVE NO HI-FI SPEAKERS!!!! NONE. NOTHING. NADA!!!

Some smuck came and picked them up from my home today. He gave me some folding stuff, and it didn't make me feel any better.

Why did I do it?

Well, I'm selling my house. I'm moving to a farm soon. The farm house does not have Klipschorn compatible corners. But I WILL build a dedicated listening room. When I do this I will buy a brand spanking new pair of Klipschorns (around Christmas 2005).

So until then I need a pair of Klipsch loudspeakers to keep me going.

So what do I buy? What can possibly stand in for Klipschorns?

Herseys? Reference RB-75's?

Edit: They have to be fairly small. Not LaScalas or anything that big or expensive at the moment.

very sad room you've got there.

WIll you have room on the farm for Cornwalls? Not too big, not too expensive? You'll like their BIG sound though.

Michael

Good luck on the farm thing. I tried it once. Eight years later came screaming back to civilization. Perhaps 'farm' is different in Australia. Around Indiana it tends to equate with 'hillbilly'.

Actually, buying some Bose stuff crossed my mind. I went and listened to the new Lifestyle 38. I like to think I keep an open mind - even with SET. I won't say the sound sucked. Because it didn't. In isolation, the Lifestyle 38 sounded okay considering the size of the satelites. But what DID suck, was the huge amount of money Bose wants for this system. It's way overpriced for what you get.

----------------

On 5/22/2005 3:39:43 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

WIll you have room on the farm for Cornwalls? Not too big, not too expensive? You'll like their BIG sound though.

----------------

Hi, Michael. It's really hard to buy classic Klipsch in Australia. Cornwalls would be great - if only I could find someone to sell a pair to me.

I'm looking forward to moving to my farm. I've already bought a corncob pipe. I've got a rockin' chair. I just need some cows.

Sounds like quite the life you have waiting for you out there, Edwin. Lying out in the grass, staring up at the stars that don't exist in the city...

Sorry to hear about your loss. But not to wory, you'll have them again soon enough. In the meantime, why not try a different brand altogether?

Have you considered perhaps building, or commissioning a cabinet shop to build a set of LaScalas, Cornwalls, or CornScalas, or any of the units that might be appropriate for your home, considering the exhorbitant cost of originals? Sourcing the secondary components would be a relative breeze...

Just a thought...

That room looks awfully barren!8.gif

Well..., I could build myself something. But I have in mind that if I choose something smaller in the meantime, it would ultimately form part of my second system for a study.

I have considered other loudspeaker brands. Some of them sound nice. But the problem is, they don't sound nice at higher volume levels. I like listening to a bit of rock 'n roll, some blues and even some jazz mixed in with some of the more accessible classics. For example, listen to Dave Brubeck's 'Take Five'. A classic track with some great drum work. You've just got to listen at realistic levels to appreciate this track. I was listening to some B&W's, priced around the same as the RB75's. I'll tell you, the B&W's started to break up when I was just getting into it. I know Klipsch 'speakers won't do that.

Anyhow, I want to buy something new. I want that new Klipsch smell. Just to get myself into the mood for my new Klipschorns... 3.gif

EDIT: I was really sad to see them go. They really did sound fantastic. But the Khorns have gone to a good home. The new owner is running them as the mains in a surround setup, with Heresy rears, but no centre channel. Amplification in this guy's setup is by Yamaha.

As much as I love vintage audio pieces, my new "fresh from Hope Heresys" are amazing. Outstanding quality and in perfect condition. I could even smell fresh cut wood and lacquer when I opened the box.

Great idea buying new Khorns later this year. You'll love them.

----------------

On 5/22/2005 3:59:26 AM timbley wrote:

My Dad's Wave radio sounds nice. It really does. Beats the hell out of most clock radios. But $500.00 nice? I bought it for him because he really, really wanted it. I'm glad he still likes it.
----------------

That wasn't my impression. I was staying at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas last week and there was a Bose Wave radio in the room. I thought the thing sounded like a pair of shoeboxes. I almost posted about it. I can't beleive they still get $500 for those things. Maybe the one in my room was broken.

Edwin,

For a change of pace I would highly recommend you try some RF/RB series speakers. If it must be book shelf then RB-75 would be great, we had a set of little RB-35 at AKfest in one of my rooms and they were really nice with a Sub so RB-75 should really sing. But RF-7's would really be something to try when going from Klispchorns. I heard these with my gear and while there not as accurate oralive as the heritage in the mid range with the right gear they sound very very good.

Craig

Edwin,

Sorry to hear you had to part with your Klipschorn's. I would suggest La Scala but you have already indicated you have a tough time getting the vintage stuff down under. So I guess I would go with NOS' recommendation - RB 75's and a sub. That would fit very well into a secondary set up once you get your new room set up and acquire a new set of Klipschorns

Wow, that's tough indeed to be parted from one's Khorns. I can imagine that you will enjoy the farm though. Since it's just a season without Khorns, I'd suggest Heresy. They sound fabulous. If you like, add a sub. They'll sound so good I'll promise you'll be wondering why you thought you had to have Khorns.