RF-3 Large or Small?

malechi

----------------

On 5/23/2005 10:24:15 AM malechi wrote:

Should I set up the Klipsch RF-3s as large or small in my system?

----------------

I thought this was in reference to the components within your system so I would set your RF3s as large. I have my RF3IIs set up as large and my center channel, RC3II as small. I suppose I could set my center as large as well since it is technically matched to the rest of my system. I will try that today and see if it makes a difference.

I'd have to say- it depends.

If you listen to movies at a moderate level, you can get away with letting the RF3's be full range with out worrying about blowing them up. I prefer LARGE setting because by making all speakers full-range it gives better placement of sound effects (think of a large truck rolling across the screen- much better that it travels LCR than the rumbling just comeing out of the sub)

OTOH, if you like bash em- crash em LOUD EFFECTS in your movies, better use your RF's as small and let your sub take up the low end. It will have the power to give the volume you need and you'll be 'saving' your RF's from the explosive low frequencies.

Michael

I never understood this question even though I have asked it many times. Why have towers if you place them on small?? At that point you are using basically only the horn and any LFE is going to the sub ( Buy Bookshelf speakers ). I have always set mine to both so the signal goes to sub and mains I then compensate the sub. to the correct level. I just hate the thought of having large speakers and not using them.

I seem to find the sound stage to be larger and more alive this way.

Malechi, THX recomends setting all speakers to small and crossing over at 80 Hz. This will help eliminate cancellation issues from multiple bass sources. My personal thoughts are that I can see no good coming from having your mains and receiver trying to produce tones well below 20 Hz. It robs your amp of power and makes your speakers try to reproduce sounds that they are not designed to do. You have a more than capable sub, let it do it's job. Don't get caught up in the large small nomenclature. That being said, try it both ways and set it the way that it sounds best to you. Your ears are the only ones that count in this scenario.

By using your mains as LARGE, all you are saying to the crossover, yes its a crossover, is to NOT LIMIT the frequencies going to those speakers, use them as full range. If your receiver lets you assign the LFE to mains/subs/both, just send LFE to your sub, NOT the mains.

the .1 channel LFE will go exclusively to the sub, so those tones will not destroy your towers.

By crossing the mains and subs at the same point, there should little if any overlap between multiple sources for the same signal. THX says use 80 hz, but you can use a lower frequency.

Michael

I have F3's (dual 8's and a horn) and when I am blasting music, I have them set as small (40 or 60 Hz.), but when I am listening at moderate levels, they are on large.

If I am going to critically listen, I will use the speakers as large and no sub.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 1:51:26 PM malechi wrote:

I tried both way while watching 24 last night. I did notice that the sound seemed fuller when the setting was on large.

----------------

Many would say that you are not hearing a difference. I knew you would. Ask a few others to listen and see if they do not walk away thinking the way you think.

I am not against having bookself speakers and subs but you will never convice me that they will compare with towers. ( Bose trys that line of thinking ) Why not get a receiver where you can set the crossover point that way you can get the full potential out of your towers and fill in with the sub.

I read it and I still do not agree on a few points. Here is just one: Klipsch are very efficient most 98db and up. They take very little in the way of watts to power these speakers so taxing a receiver it may but if you really want good THX sound you should have a separate power amp.

Second answer me this question: Why buy towers for HT then if you barley use the speakers potential?? If all these articles are correct then save your money and buy bookshelf speakers.

I still say what sounds better to you is what you should do.