New to home theater!

Crankehh

Well guys, I currently have a set of Promedia 5.1's hooked to my computer. Thus led to an addiction. Now I don't know much about home theater so I figured that I'd try and pick a few brains on this one..

I'm looking at a budget of around $2000 US (I'll get that much once I'm done paying for my wedding... lol), and I want Klipsch speakers. Sub, Floor for front, surrounds, center channel, and reciever in which I know absolutly nothing about. I just would like some suggestions on what would be some good options for me. Looking for good rich clean sound, and enough bass to rattle my windows. 9.gif

Thanks alot for the suggestions everyone.

:Edit: Oh yes, It cant take up half my living room. I need room to walk.

What Klipsch lines have you listened to already that you like? Reference, Synergy, Legend, etc... You need to start at your local Klipsch dealer or hook up with some local forum members to hear some different systems.

What size is your room?

IMHO - don't limit yourself too much up front. You may be happier in the long run with a very good set of Floor speakers - like the RF-7's, KLF-30's, K-Horns 3.gif etc... Then, just add to them as you can afford it. My point is: listen to everything and then get what really sounds good to you and don't look back. Otherwise, you'll constantly be playing the upgrade game...

I was looking at the Synergy F3 floors, S3 Surrounds, and a Sub12. I checked all the prices at BestBuy and it looks that I can get everything I need except for the most important piece, the reciever, for about $2000 or so. I'm not sure on the exact dimentions of my living space. I'll have to get back to you on that. But like you said I can always piece my system together as I have the cash. As for going to a local dealer, the nearest one to me is BestBuy which is about 60 miles away. Looks like I will have some driving to do. Chances are I will get the F3 floors, and a reciever (NEED HELP) to start. Guess I can go from there. :)

Will that setup shake my living room apart?? 11.gif

That sounds like a good system. Have you had the opportunity to listen to it yet at the store? Just for fun (If you have not alredy done so), you'll want to listen to the synergy and reference lines side-by-side to understand their differences.

Make sure to bring along some good CD's when you audition the speakers. Listen particularly closely to both female and male vocals from speaker to speaker. When helping a friend choose his speakers, we used the Lion King soundtrack (hey, it was what we had). We focused in on the female vocals. We made trips to CC & Tw**ters (back in the day) and he was AMAZED at the differences from speaker to speaker when we compared the same track. He bought the Reference equivalent of what you have selected.

I'm sure somebody can give you some input on a Receiver for the Synergy Floors... I always tell friends to get the mains & center first with the receiver, then the surrounds, and lastly the sub. I think you're on the right track.

Good luck. Let us know your final choice!

Good luck!

----------------

On 5/23/2005 2:36:19 PM Crankehh wrote:Looking for good rich clean sound, and enough bass to rattle my windows.

Thanks alot for the suggestions everyone.

----------------

For a system used primarily for HT, buy the best center channel and sub you can afford. They are the 2 most important speakers that you will have. Your sub can change a movie that you see and hear into a movie that you can also feel. Don't skimp on the sub. Your center channel reproduces nearly all the dialogue and is the speaker that you will listen to the most. Buy the best one you can afford and upgrade your sides and surrounds later as you can afford it. Carl

Actually, even if you go with the Synergy line (my fronts are Synergies) I would go with a Reference center channel. I tried more than one Synergy center and wasn't pleased with any of them. Actually, I found that the Reference centers more pleasingly matched the synergy mains. Who'd a thunk?

It could be due to my room or other colorations from my application, but in any case I also made sure the center and sub were the strongest points. I'm 90/10 HT/music.

Wow, so much input. Thanks everyone. Like I said in my erlier post. The dealer closest to me is BB nearly 60 miles away. Yes the area I live in is really deprived, Central PA sucks. I will make a trip out there sometime soon... like.. this weekend. :P I really want to hear the difference between all the product lines before I decide. On the downside of all this.. It won't be until a couple of months down the road before I can afford anything. (Paying for the DJ and Reception Hall for my wedding kind of put a huge dent in the bank acct.) Well going to run for now. I will get you all my room size this evening sometime once I dig out my tape measure. 2.gif

For $2000, I would definitely go with the Reference. I would rather have a single pair of the RF-7s for that price than a full blown 5.1 Synergy setup.

The Synergys are great speakers, but they are night and day compared to the Reference line. Even 3 pairs of the RB-35s (about $1800) would be great for a 6.1 setup. They are just that much more detailed of a speaker to me.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 8:21:20 AM CAS wrote:

Actually, even if you go with the Synergy line (my fronts are Synergies) I would go with a Reference center channel. I tried more than one Synergy center and wasn't pleased with any of them. Actually, I found that the Reference centers more pleasingly matched the synergy mains. Who'd a thunk?

It could be due to my room or other colorations from my application, but in any case I also made sure the center and sub were the strongest points. I'm 90/10 HT/music.

----------------

I would agree completely that the Reference center would be a better center, even if it is a Synergy setup. I have never tried the Synergy mains with the Reference center but I would still strongly suggest a Reference center. I had a Synergy center for about 3 weeks before I replaced it with an RC3II and the difference was astounding! The Synergy center was back to Best Buy within days (would have been hours but I am about 70 miles away from the closest one.)

D

D,

You got the same problem that I have. Living too far from anything. I've been hearing that we are supposed to be getting a BB about 15 minutes away. But that rumor has been going around for over a year now. Still don't see one getting built. Oh well, I don't mind the 60 mile drive. It would probably still be cheaper to drive rather than ordering online and paying the shipping for some F3's or Reference. Whichever I decide to get.

For all others helping here.. Room Size = 17x15 Didn't even need the tape measure.. 1' square ceiling blocks. Sorry it took so long to get that to yall.

Unfortunately Best Buy does not carry the Reference line. You will not be able to do a side by side with synergy comparison there. Use the dealer locate on the Klipsch website to find the nearest dealer that sells both lines, if you want to do a side by side. If your willing to drive and put in the time, it may be worth it. This is a big investment, do alot of research so your not disappointed in the long run.

Jeremy

Looked up a dealer for the Reference line. There is one about 15 minutes away from me luckily. But, they do not carry the Synergy line. Go figure. I'm going to go up tonight maybe to check them out and check prices. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I can feel the Klipsch HT experience sooner now. :)

Well everyone, Just got back from "The Stereo Shoppe", my local Reference dealer. Got to hear nearly all the Reference line while I was there. So far here's the decision for the fronts and center. I'm choosing the RF25's for the fronts. They seem to have the best balance out of the 3 different choices, The RF35's just seemed too heavy while the smaller I believe it's RF15's? Just seemed to be lacking something. Now for the center channel, it's going to be the RC25 to balance with the fronts well. The salesmen told me that if I went for a larger center channel I might run into the problem when watching movies is the action runs from right then through the center to left it might sounds a bit mismatched. I'll take his word for that unless all you audiophiles enlighten me on something I dont know about. Last but not least, he recommended the Denan (sp?) AVR-1905, that way if I do end up scaling up more in the future I have that option with it's 7.1 capability. Like I said before I know nothing at all about Receivers so any advice is that area is greatly appreciated. Price rundown is as follows: $700 for the pair of RF25's, $250 for the RC25, and $500 for the reciever.

So what do you all think? Decent way to start? Thanks everyone!

Did the salesman let you demo between the two centers? Just curious. If he didn't, then I would have had him demo them and see for yourself.

As for the center, have you ever thought about using a bookshelf for center channel duty? Most bookshelfs can play lower than their center speaker counter-parts. You could get the RF-25s and then maybe two pairs of RB-25s for the surrounds, center, and back surround channel for a 6.1 setup.

That sounds like a killer setup if you ask me. I also have a Denon receiver (the 3803), though I have older KG 5.5s instead of the Reference Series speakers.

So when are you getting it?9.gif