Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 23

thebes

Although small in terms of total participation, last weeks thread had some really good music in it, and it's interesting to see that Fish, at the least, is using this topic to broaden his listening purchases.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

I getting old and confused and I hope I haven't posted this before but how about:

George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers "Maverick", cd, blues/rock

For a White Boy this guy is one rocking rollin blues artist. Sure he's been played to death and you have to be in the mood, but if this isn't full-tilt boogie I don't know the meaning of the phrase. Includes the old blues standard that he adapted so well: " I Drink Alone". Rocking and rollin and very well recorded.

So what do you have to share this week?

I don't have one in particular, but in the last 2 weeks, have found cutout cd's at a local record store, along with a garage sale stash - most of which was new to me, but for $1.00 each, I took the chance at 'em:

1) UK SUBS/NATIONAL RAZOR - Gruesome Twosome Vol. 1 (Punk)

2) CREMATORY - Illusions

3) DORO/WARLOCK - Rare Diamonds

4) MORGOTH - Feel Sorry For The Fanatic

5) BLIND GUARDIAN - Tokyo Tales (Live)

6, 7 & 8) HAMMERFALL - Renegade, Legacy Of Kings, & Glory To The Brave

9, 10) HELLOWEEN - Better Than Raw & The Best, Rest, Rare

11, 12 ) GRAVE DIGGER - Tunes Of War & Knights Of The Cross (If you like ACCEPT or UDO, this is up your alley)

13) TOILET BOYS

14) THROES OF DAWN - Binding of The Spirit

15) BENEDICTION - Grind Bastard

16) DECEMBER WOLVES - Blasterpiece Theater

17) RAKOTH - Tiny Deaths ( A russian progressive, flutey metal hybrid?)

18, 19) BAD RELIGION - No Control & The New America

20) METALLICA - Creeping Death incl the 12" EP Jump In The Fire

21) WARRIOR - The Wars Of Gods & Men featuring ex-Krodus lead screacher

22) MANOWAR (Double Live) - Hell On Stage Live - a very impressive live album similar to Iced Earth, w/ an aggressively live vocalist.

23) DIE KRUPPS II - The Final Option

It's mainly speed metal, heavy metal, rock, pretty much my forte.

ZZtop- One foot in the blues

This cd pretty much speaks for itself. The recording is really good. Nice presence (sweetness) without being harsh. Or is that my cd player? I doubt it because the last disc sucked that was in it. Ordered some more new cd's this week let yall know if there any good.

thebes,very interesting you mentioned G.Thorogood cause I was just listening to "That Same Thing" from the cd Move it on Over.

I'm gonna suggest a bargain cd,6.99 at Sams,the cd is The Best of Free.Most all of us know Free from the rock classic "All Right Now".This cd has a nice variety of the Free offerings from what would become 1/2 Bad Company.For those that have no need for the entire Free collection this is one that gives you a well rounded taste.

On the platter this week is the Peter Cetera Soundstage performance DVD. 5.1 capable and the visuals are spot on, if you are a Chicago fan or simply a Peter Cetera fan you should run out and buy this disc. At 60 years old his voice is as moving as it was 20 years ago. Amy Grant opens up the show with 3 songs and is accompanied by a full orchestra for one of her songs. The bonus is having both great artist on one disc.

How about an obscure one? Slo-mo is Philadelphia musician Mike Brenner, who, in his daily existence, wears many hats: songwriter, producer, bandleader, session guy, and sideman. But it's only when he dons his white suit does he become SloMo, the technodobro mad scientist.

Novelty, SloMo's first disc on the new Acid Blues Records, is a collaboration with producers Tom Rothrock (Beck, Foo Fighters, Moby) and Beale Dabbs (RL Burnside, Lutefisk).slo-mo.jpg

Buzzcuts, an EP with 5 tracks, is a little better, I think. A bit less techno influence, but still a mean greasy groove.

I'll be catching his two sets at The Great Blue Heron Festival http://www.greatblueheron.com/ July 8-10.

I'm a big Ben Folds fan. His latest CD, "Songs for Silverman" is just primo Folds. Alot of ballads, but the disc still has an edge. Its piano rock from a great singer-songwriter. He's the piano in a power trio very much like his old band Ben Folds Five.

There are so many singer-songwriters out there that lack punch or deep melodies -- He delivers on both counts. Great songs and voice--

----------------

On 5/24/2005 6:58:19 AM Northshore wrote:

On the platter this week is the Peter Cetera Soundstage performance DVD. 5.1 capable and the visuals are spot on, if you are a Chicago fan or simply a Peter Cetera fan you should run out and buy this disc. At 60 years old his voice is as moving as it was 20 years ago. Amy Grant opens up the show with 3 songs and is accompanied by a full orchestra for one of her songs. The bonus is having both great artist on one disc.

----------------

Went out and picked this one up today. I will have to admit this is a good concert. Video is crystal and the audio is excellent. The orchestra hit it right on with this one.

Rob

Sonic perfection with Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultra

Here are a few CD's I listen to. Only CD's which have that extra something that the Klipsch speakers bring to life are listed here.

In the "{ }" I have included the song on the CD selected that made me add the CD to the list.

There is a little bit of everything here.

Recommend CD's - The List

10,000 Maniacs - Mtv Unplugged (CD) { Because The Night }

Al Hirt - Cotton Candy-Sugar Lips (CD) { Cotton Candy }

Andreas Vollenweider - White Winds (CD) { The Glass Hall }

Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (CD) { Day In The Life }

Barry White - The Icon Is Love (CD) { Practice What You Preach }

Cher - Believe (CD) { Believe }

Dusty Springfield - The Very Best of Dusty Springfield (CD) { Son of a Preacher Man }

Enya - Watermark (CD) { Orinoco Flow }

Enya - Day Without Rain (CD) { Wild Child }

George Harrison - Best of Dark Horse (CD) { Cheer Down }

Human League - Greatest Hits (CD) { Human }

Joe Diffie - Third Rock from the Sun (CD) { Third Rock from the Sun }

Joe Nichols - Man With a Memory (CD) { Brokenheartsville }

Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - Super Hits (CD) { Head To Toe }

Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue (CD) { Blue In Green }

The Mothers of Invention w/Frank Zappa - Freak Out! (CD) { The Return Of The Son Of The Monster Magnet }

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland (CD) { Voodoo Chile }

Madonna - Ray of Light (CD) { Frozen }

Mc Hammer - Please Hammer Don't Hurt'em (CD) { Pray }

Moby - I Like to Score - Moby (CD) { Love Theme (from 'Joe's Apartment') }

Moody Blues - A Night at Red Rocks with the Colorado (CD/DVD) { For My Lady }

Moody Blues - Time Traveller (CD) { Cities }

Pet Shop Boys - Discography (CD) { West End Girls }

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (CD) { Time }

Queen - Classic Queen (CD) { Radio Ga Ga }

Santana - Supernatural (CD) { Carlos Santana Featuring Rob Thomas - Smooth }

The Commitments - The Commitments (CD/DVD) { The Dark End of the Street }

Greg

Rob wrote:

Went out and picked this one up today. I will have to admit this is a good concert. Video is crystal and the audio is excellent. The orchestra hit it right on with this one.

Rob

----------------

Nice to see a fellow fan, check the bonus section for 3 more songs as well. I had the opportunity to see Chicago in 1982 on their "Chicago's back" tour, have been hooked ever since on both the band and Peter's music.

Well I just got back from the local sweat shop, and see my purchase has been already suggested. Audioslave- out of exile

Excellent so I second this recomendation.

Just got in some classic Sabbath, Black Sabbath Vol. 4 buy it you wont be dissapointed if you like Sabbath.

Suicidal Tendancies- The Art of Rebellion ( On the heavier side of things) What ever happened to Rocky George? Man could he use that whammy bar like no other.

My compliments to those of you checking out George Thorogood & The Delaware Destroyers. I live about six miles from Newark, DE and used to bump into GT in record stores in Newark. I've seen him perform in venues as small as the Anvil Inn & The Stone Balloon to the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Never been disappointed in his concerts or his recordings. Check out the "Live Aide" DVD. George is on it performing "Madison Blues" with Albert Collins joining him. I also have the ZZ Top "One Foot In The Blues" CD. One on my favorites. First time I heard "Brown Sugar" I thought it was a black artist named ZZ Top. It was my first exposure to that little band from Texas. That was back in the day when FM radio was not "programmed" and the disc jockeys had some choice in the music they played. Now on to what I've been listening to this week.

Toby Keith: "Honkytonk U" - CD - Country

Pretty good CD. TK is my wife's favorite contry singer at

present. This is good, but I liked "Shockin' Y'all" better.

Def Leppard: "Rock Of Ages - The Definitive Collection" - 2CD - Classic Rock

I'd forgotten how good these guys were and how many hits they

had charted. Very good sound quality.

Blood, Sweat & Tears: "What Goes Up: The Best Of B,S&T" - 2CD - Oldies

I'm listening to this now on my Klipsch 2.1 pc speakers. These

little babies kick butt. This is a very good B,S&T set. For

some reason I always liked these guys better than Chicago,

although I enjoy Chicago too. It could be that I saw B,S&T in

concert in '69. I absolutely love their horn sound and Bobby

Colomby on drums is fantastic.

Lovedrummin "Brown sugar", and "just got back from baby's" are probally my favorite tunes by zz, and some of my favorite guitar tones ever. Both of which are included on that cd (one foot in the blues) to anyone that doesn't know. Not only that this cd pretty much contains some of the best guitars tones ever achieved. A must own for anyone who even remotely likes the guitar.

I posted this in another thread, but I figured it might hit some folks here as well...

If you're after mellow, but with musicality and accessibility, check out Charlie Haden's Quartet West recording Haunted Heart. He went for a film noir aesthetic and achieved it with this record (available on Gitanes CD). IT begins with the fanfare from "The Maltese Falcon", and segues into Hello My Lovely, a nice mid-tempo tune.

hauntedheart.gif

The quartet consists of Charlie on bass, with his big, woody tone and taste to match in no short supply. Larance Marable on drums, Ernie Watts on tenor (I was a bit scared when I saw his name, as I've heard some truly horrific stuff with his name on it, but was nicely surprised), and Alan Broadbent playing piano.

The playing is really above reproach, as are the sonics of the recording. There are some moments of really rare beauty on this record. The quartet's phrasing and sense of tension and release individually and as a group is spot on.

There is a bit of a trick to the production that may turn some off. Three tunes contain prerecorded material from old discs. Haden doesn't get into the karaoke thing that some other artists fall prey to, and I think the clips serve the mood of the record as a continuum and the film soundtrack feel as well. I thought it was cool that they were transcribed from Charlie's own vinyl.

The transcriptions are: Jo Stafford, Haunted Heart , Jeri Southern, Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye (man what a gorgeous voice and song), and Billie Holiday singing Deep Song. I had never heard Deep Song before this album, and it is really quite moving. Nobody does torch songs like Billie. Talk about laying your soul bare.