UBID antics

doster1

I placed winning bid of $349/each at UBID for RP5s on 8/2/01. Called customer service 6 times over the last month and got the runaround/vague answers each time. Checked status of order on 9/3/01 - one month later- and noticed it was cancelled. Called again-they said merchandise was UNAVAILABLE and they couldn't help me. I checked their website and noticed RP5s are up for auction but with a much higher RESERVE price! This is very distressing to me as I greatly anticipated getting these speakers. Is this a common experience with UBID? I spoke with an attorney about this and he said it is a violation of UCC and they could be compelled to comply with the contract. Not sure it is worth the hassle. Any other deals on RP5s out there?

This message has been edited by doster1 on 09-04-2001 at 12:41 PM

Doster, this is B-A-D. I sympathize since I had almost exactly the same problem with some KLF-20s I "won" a few weeks ago. See this thread for details:

http://216.37.9.58/cgi-bin/ubb/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum9&topic=001368

And yes I wondered the same thing about the legal aspects. I thought auctions were required to have the items before they sell them. Good luck.

Thanks dude. I recently noticed that UBID is advertising on network tv. It looks like they might have their priorties screwed up. With tatcics like this they won't be in business for long. I guess I'll give up trying to get a killer deal on the net and head on over to Sound Advice (they only place in town selling Klipsch)

I bought my Klipsch LF10 sub from uBid because of the reviews here and I had no problems and love my sub, but a story like this would a) make me doubt the site or B) make me bid a lot lower since I am not sure how much of a chance I am taking

PS. I never would have waited a month - my sub came that week

------------------

big old horns, tube amps, tube pre-amp, British CD player, two subs, double wire, pipe insulation, paving stones, rubber mats & curtains

I got a klf C-7 for 220.00 and was thrilled. I noticed that they have begun reserve pricing. I e-mailed them to find out if the speakers could be picked up from the memphis warehouse. Horns don't do well in shipping. They wrote back that they had refered the question to customer service rep. I never heard from them. It's been almost a month. Hard to say what these people are up to.

A reserve price is a half-assed attempt at an "auction". I buy alot for a retail company at auction type places and reserve bids are un-heard of. I would stay far away from ubid, they seem to be a joke!

------------------

Why do you like playing around with my little scope of reality?

I can feel it all start slipping away.....

See but I don't get it, don't you think maybe we can put it on credit?

I get stupified. It's all the same...

Though doster1's experience is deplorable, I've bought the following from ubid:

Klipsch KSC-C1 - $79 + $20 S&H (New, No Reserve)

Acurus A100X3 - $449 + $38 S&H (New, No Reserve)

Acurus A100X3 - $389 + $38 S&H (New, No Reserve)

Their shipping charges are certainly high, and they take their sweet time in getting here (10 days±), but I've received 2 out of 3 of those in perfect working order as advertised. The other Acurus should be here tomorrow per FedEx tracking.

While I've been pretty pleased with my purchases so far, doster1's experience and other ones I've read about have given me good reason to look for bargains elsewhere. Sotheby's they're certainly not.

I have bought many items through Ubid. Never had a problem. One item was damaged when I got it and they took it back with no problem.

Your experience was not the kind of thing that will build confidence in ubid. I hope they get their act fixed. If I were you - and if you want what you won the bid on... I'd keep pushing and make a pest out of myself.

Good Luck.

I've been dealing with uBid for about the last 3 years, and have had mostly good results. Most items have shipped within a few days of the auction's close, and have arrived in good shape. I have found emailing them with questions is useless -- response time is a few weeks, if ever. It's better to call Customer Service (1-888-900-8243) and actually talk with someone.

Doster1, your experience of having an order cancelled as unavailable when they continue to auction the same item is totally unacceptable! I'd call again, and request a supervisor if the regular customer rep. isn't helpful. You can always threaten to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, and also file a negative report with Bizrate.com. Hopefully, a supervisor can cut through the BS and get the items you legitimately purchased sent to you. After all, when you place a bid, they state that you're entering into a legally binding contract to purchase the item if successful. They certainly won't let you back out if you change your mind, so this contract should be binding on them to actually sell you the product if you've got a winning bid!

Good luck, and do let us know how this all turns out...

Well, some lucky few struck it! A guy just got 2 C7s on Ubid for $189 each! I happend to get one for $209, which I'm fairly happy about. I hope you are happy, TTK. I'm finally taking the plunge with the C7. I'll be sure to do some extensive A/B testing with my KG 2.5 to see which mates best with the KG 5.5.

One concern is that the UBID page says there is only 1 year warrantee on the C7. How is that so, if they are an authorized seller? Doesn't Klipsch give a 5 year warrantee?

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

TTK,

Well, it hasn't been that bad on the pocketbook, actually.

I originally had an Infinity Kappa center that I used with my 3.2s on my old pro logic. Was a great speaker, and I made $300 selling on ebay after enjoying it for 7 years! Those things are hotter than Academy's

Per the advice on the old Klipsch website, I got a SC-1 instead. I hated it, and sold it on Ebay for about $25 more than I paid.

So far, $325 profit!

Then, I bought your KV2 per suggestions on this BB, but then quickly upgraded to the KG 5.5, and wanted more. Lost only my shipping costs on the KV2 after selling it on Ebay.

Now only about $310 profit.

I found a KG2.2V for a good price, but was damaged during shipment. I got my money back, but managed to restore the speaker to a functional condition. I just had to pay about $55 in parts and shipping expenses plus my own time, and labor.

Down to $250 profit.

This brings me to the C7. If all goes well with UBID, I will be out $265 total for purchase price and shipping.

Total cost of upgrade = about $15.

I think I'll keep the 2.2 for future rear center use. I hope that answers your question clearly (:

Now if I can only convince my wife that I know what I'm doing when I keep getting all these speakers which aren't "really" costing me anything.....

By the way, I only paid $140 for the Kappa when new back in 1993. Total center speaker costs for past 8 years = $155.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Here is an update for your internet viewing pleasure. UBID never really cancelled my order! They just re-entered it under a new #. The really hilarious thing is that they re-entered it for just the right side speaker. As we speak 1 RT side RP5 is on the way to me! Even funnier is that I have been charged for 1 speaker but the full amount of shipping (at the wrong rate-they sent it ground but charged for overnight)

I just got off the phone with customer service and they say that they will reorder my left side speaker-total incompetence