Crossover upgrades

TheEvan

Sorry to start a topic that's been done to death. I did a search but I'm a search numbskull. I'm well aware of Al's crossovers and Dean's. When I returned to the forum, I thought I read about people replacing their crossovers with fresh ones from Klipsch. True? Available? Brain damage?

I've contracted a mild case of upgrade fever. I ordered a blueberry and I'd like to freshen the speakers on the cheap.

For now I'll run the blueberry through the amp section of a 70's Luxman integrated I'm using. Wish I could find one of those Marantz 3 channel chip amps. I'd like to find an orphaned LaScala or Belle and do the center channel thing.

Later, when I can afford one, I'd love to have a decent tube amp. Something along the lines of the 8b I used to run with my old Paragon E.

The only upgrade available from Klipsch is the AK-4 network and driver upgrade for Klipschorns - and it certainly ain't cheap! Were talking $1800 here at least. There are no other upgrades that I am aware of.

Crossover update recommendations would be easier if you mentioned what Klipsch speakers that you have. In addition, the crossover updates will make more of a difference than a source or amplifier change in most instances.

'Cheapest' thing I have are these Type A's I built up for my listening tests. I would take $215 plus shipping for them. Picture shows them with T2A's, which I've since replaced with UT 3636's. I also added a film and foil bypass cap to the tweeter can.

BEC sells the same for a bit less, but they ain't as pretty.16.gif

post-3205-13819266109206_thumb.jpg

There are actually seven different networks you can run with the Klipschorn that sound good. The Type A is the precursor to the Type AA. The Type A has a bit more tweeter energy than the Type AA, and works best at low to moderate volumes (95db max before I notice pinching/hardening of the sound). If you sit back further than 12 feet, have a larger than average sized room, and/or like to jack on the volume control, then the Type AA does better. I really dig the Type A for most of my listening. My opinion is that there are networks that bring more and better things out of the Klipschorn, but they cost more. At any rate, you can start as simple as just having the caps replaced (less than $100), all the way to state of the art designs that will run you well over a $1000.

Dean,

I am sure that this has been asked before, but are the banana plug adapters you post modified and made by you by mounting a bulkhead female bananaplug to a metal strip that can be screwed to the terminal strip, or can they be purchased somewhere?

A nice convenience...

Thanks!