~7' away, would a 50" TV be overkill for 95% DVD's?

kenratboy

No, not at all IMO. That is about where I sit from my Samsung (check profile) perhaps 8 feet away. Again with most DVDs and all HD sources I can get closer, not much too much but I think you will still be fine as long as the TV is good. I think sound at that level can be more of a limitation, as I like the front left and right channel farther appart and when I sit back a bit it presents a much better front sound stage.

Eight feet from my 50" plasma works fine for DVD's. With a good HDTV signal one can sit even closer for a subjective bigger-screen effect. DVD's are of course not as sharp as HDTV, but at eight feet they look very "filmic" and nice on the plasma screen with remarkable presentation of color subtleties. They look fully as good or better as the same material projected on a larger commercial theater screen with the viewer sitting further away.

The ability to enhance DVD's like that is a real added benefit of an HDTV plasma set and, I suppose, of the other HDTV technologies such as DLP and LCD.

Since I moved my setup to have Horns on the long wall, I now have only 11 foot to work with on the TV viewing axis. The 52" RPTV is about 2 feet deep and I guess my head is less than a foot away from the back wall, so about 8.5 feet away. The TV is not even HD and it's just fine as far as grain on regular TV programming and excellent for DVD. Go for it!

......but what if you never have a larger place?

The screen door effect is obvious when sitting too close on some types of screens.

If it was me I would go for the biggest possible.3.gif

................edited for clarification............

Ken... Here's a shot of my 51" Sony RPTV @ 8'. I think it's great, I was going to go with the 57" but they weren't in stock. After moving it in, I don't think the bigger set would have fit down the stairs, so that could be a factor also to think of. As was said I would get the biggest you can afford.

basement4.jpg

----------------

On 5/26/2005 8:10:53 PM Speedball wrote:

......but what if you never have a larger place?

The screen door effect is obvious when sitting too close.

I do think the larger the better....

----------------

Don't buy a LCD then, get a DLP.

Well, I sit about 10 feet from a 55-inch CRT RPTV, and it seems to be perfect.

I would've liked to got the 65-inch version, but it would not have fit in this room anyway. The 55-inch had barely fit.

But I agree with the general sentiment - get the biggest you can afford and will fit in your room.

My eyeballs are exactly 11 ft from the front of my 65" Mit. I had more than one saleman advise me to get the 55" because of my room size. I'm very happy I did not listen to them. Base on my experience, go for the next size up from what the "experts" say 9.gif

Go big! I'm probably 7 feet from my 55 inch and I could EASILY go to a 65 inch and be happy at this distance. Get the biggest you can afford. You will never regret it. Remember, you never have to apoligize for having a big one! Guys with smaller ones will feel inferior......

----------------

On 5/26/2005 11:28:48 PM Seadog wrote:

My eyeballs are exactly 11 ft from the front of my 65" Mit. I had more than one saleman advise me to get the 55" because of my room size. I'm very happy I did not listen to them. Base on my experience, go for the next size up from what the "experts" say
9.gif

----------------

When I was selling RPTV's at Worst Buy, most of the consumers balked at my recommendations based on room size. But then, most of the people who shop at BB are looking for "good enough", which basically means the cheapest available option...