Is Klipsch using us for WOM marketing?

formica

Always a key intelligent component of customer service is feedback analysis. As Amy notes it's used in product problem and market trend/demography input. But this venue is unique not only for the media used but for the level of success it's experiencing. IMHO it's only a company whose esoteric founder engendered a lifetime following that could produce a site this successful.

The bigger question is: Is Klipsch making the most of the information garnered from this site? We posters are for the largest part not in the business loop of Klipsch. Meaning that we have no idea what is pulled from this site and how it's employed. Rarely does Klipsch come back with a follow-up series of questions. Klipsch goes about it's business taking/using this forum as they see fit.

Perhaps Klipsch could, or maybe it has, identified a small group of forum posters to incorporate into their business structure. There are some very knowledgable, talented and crafty people available here.

While this maybe a stretch from the post topic it's clearly related. This forum is word of mouth advertising, plus,plus, plus. Do the forum members feel that Klipsch is listening hard enough to get the most out of this gold mine resource?

It's easy to use WOM marketing when:

- your product says what it does, and does what it says.

- your sales force doesn't need to make outrageous claims and use sales puffery to sell product (they mostly just need a bull**** button).

- your product, once purchased, performs so well that everyone who hears them, wants them.

- your website, which offers support and unfettered opinion from users, becomes a second home/internet tavern for it's users

- your website allows discussion of any competitor's product, and also allows recommendations by members of those competing products over their own. This fact goes a LONG WAY towards convincing me of Klipsch's honesty and mettle in the marketplace today. Allowing HONEST, free, and open communication is the key to showing your potential customers (and proving to your current customers) that you have NOTHING to hide. Try recommending SVS on other manufacturer forums (or any competing product of that manufacturer) and see what happens.

I've never been a fan of the "you are the hero for buying our product" marketing angle. I don't need such distortion to be sold on a product. What I require is proof from performance. Klipsch delivers that. Long term, that's the best way to build a loyal base of customers.

The WOM works. Just ask the 6 households who have Klipsch speakers in thier homes as a result of my ownership. They would NEVER have obtained these without it. But aside from WOM, Klipsch has a better method of marketing. It's called PROOF.

----------------

----------------

Seriously, do other companies like JBL or Infinity have this type of following?

----------------

I'm not sure about JBL fans (they are a special breed), but they definitely don't have a company supported community and heritage products like Klipsch offers.

Ironically the units with the smallest sales (heritage) are really at the heart of the community. Something old-timers like JBL and Altec overlooked. Although I have suggested that the Jubilee could be a marketing tool like a corvette for chevy.... Klipsch already considers it's entire heritage lineup as such a tool.

A couple of good decisions as well as a bit of luck has paid off.

I'm a JBL fan too! The older JBLs are the best, and you could consider them the JBL "Heritage". Unlike Klipsch, they don't make them anymore. Part of the problem is the JBL drivers are quite expensive, as folks here have found when they decided to try them on their Khorns.

The Lansing Heritage site has a pretty dedicated following, just like Klipsch (they bash Bose 2.gif). They rebuild their old boxes they find cheap(er). They reveneer and so on.

I think another part of their problem is they are owned by a parent company that has a lot of audio related products, including other brands of speakers.

Marvel

----------------

On 5/28/2005 4:53:43 PM Marvel wrote:

The older JBLs are the best, and you could consider them the JBL "Heritage". Unlike Klipsch, they don't make them anymore. Part of the problem is the JBL drivers are quite expensive

----------------

Unfortunately for JBL (and perhaps good for Klipsch), I think JBL missed out on quite an opportunity.

Expensive or not, I think they didn't profit from the marketing potential from the "existent" fan base they have. I have a lot of respect for them and their engineering, but they have nothing in their "consumer" line that interests me. The JBL / Lansing forums aren't even run by Harmon International...

Conscientiously or not, Klipsch understands it's die-hard consumer base better then a lot of other corps out there. I think we are worth more than we realise....

Rob