Members Weekly Music Recommendations-May 31

thebes

Last day of the month so next week we will be giving away another Klipsch t-shirt.

Hope everybody got to barbeque etc. over the weekend and heard some good, or new, music while they were at it.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Concrete Blonde "Still in Hollywoood" Rock, cd

I know, I know, this guys flogging Concrete Blonde again. I'm guilty. Actually at first I hated this cd, because at first it sounds like the lead singer voice is not true to form on this recording which is a mix of studio and live concert. A few more listens though and it's become one of my favorites. Joneette has one of the most awesome voices on the planet and she plays some tricks with it on this cd that will knock you socks of. The guitar work, and even the drums are awesome. Give it a whirl.

So what do you have to share this week?

Alkaline Trio "Crimson," "Good Mourning," and "From Here To Infirmary" - Hardcore Punk (with a melodic side) LP's

Oasis "Don't Believe The Truth" - Alternative Rock LP

Ben Folds "Rockin' The Suburbs" - Singer/Songwriter/Soft Rock LP

Medeski, Martin & Wood "Uninvisible" - Avante-garde jazz/Techno LP (VERY rewarding, provided you're open-minded enough)

Coldplay "XY" - Alternative Rock LP (will be released June 6th, but I've been lucky enough to hear it)

Mudvayne "End Of All Things" - Speed Metal CD/Dual Disc

Chevelle "This Type Of Thinking" - Hard Rock/Metal CD/Dual Disc

That's it. That's the list.

I've been quickly wearing out my 2 Curtis Counce LPs.

"Counceltation" and "Landslide," both GREAT jazz albums. Curtis plays bass and has an all-star cast accompanying him on both LPs. I have the re-issues on the Contemporary label and they sound fantastic. "A Fifth For Frank" on the Landslide LP has one of the best drum solos I've ever heard (Frank Butler). Back and forth between sticks and hands/fingers. Just amazing.

I don't know if they're available on CD (probably are) but I was lucky enough to have Allan point out both LPs on ebay for me. As re-issues, they went pretty cheap and you don't need to be a jazz fanatic to enjoy them.

• Moderators

Happened upon "Lightning in a Bottle" at our local Blockbuster when looking for a movie to rent. This DVD features greats such as B.B. King, Natalie Cole, John Fogerty, Buddy Guy, Steve Perry, The Neville Brothers, etc.

It is listed as a documentary, however it contains extensive musical selections. The quality and sound was excellent. It was recorded at New York City's Radio City Music Hall in 2003, to pay tribute to the blues and it's influence on music today. It documents blues as far back as anyone would care to go. A must see if you really like blues.

• Like 1

k. d. lang - hymns of the 49th parallel

We just got this exquisite cd. It is a beautifully woven collection of songs by Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen, and others. It's the best cd we've found in a long time. Get it - it will become one of your favorites.

Blue Man Group - The Complex Rock Tour Live , Rock, DVD

A rare find for anyone looking for great 5.1 music content.

The DVD is dual sided with the live tour on side "A".

Side "B" is pure 5.1 DVD audio at it's best.

My Klipsch 5.1 Promeida Ultra's like it when I play this one!

Greg

i just don't see any "Acid Jazz" on this site ....

lotsa Jazz i hear ....

is for old people ...

check out ..

Green Light

Robert Walters 20th Congress ++++++++

Way of the Groove

Brotherhood of Groove

Joe Bonamasso ....(not jazz)

Zero

Adam Holzman ++++

Steps Ahead .....

Jazz, with a modern EDGE...

Ooooh ....

i forgot to give Joe Bonamassa ...++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

he's a local young dude ...

but ..played with Deep Purple, joe lynn turner, etc etc ....

lotsa Zep, UFO, D.P. Hendrix, and other influences ... Smokin' Joe ...ROCK's

.............9.gif ................

It was so good I had to give it its own thread but I recommend any die-hard Van Morrison fans search for a copy of Moondance on Super Disk. You must have a TT of course. I swear you can hear the wind from the piano player's fingers as they leave the keys.6.gif

10,000 Maniacs "In My Tribe", Rock, CD

{ Greg's Picks: Like The Weather, What's The Matter Here }

10,000 Maniacs "MTV Unplugged", Rock, CD

{ Greg's Picks: Like The Weather, Because The Night, Eat For Two }

Sometimes you just get in the mood for the smooth sound of 10,000 Maniacs. When you do nothing else will do.

"MTV Unplugged" is still their best work.

Greg

----------------

On 6/1/2005 6:20:03 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Watch Out....SputZie ....

my Avatar .....

is gonna BITE ....!

----------------

I think the slimey little bugger already bit me. I don't know what kind of vile germs it passed on but I hope this condition doesn't persist.

bsaneuman3.jpg

ADDED (to get back on topic): Another recommendation I've been listening to again lately is the Jerry Garcia Band (live) album from the early nineties. "Waiting For a Miracle", "Simple Twist of Fate", and "That Lucky Old Sun" are a few of my old favorites off of this cd.