What universal remote do you use?

Price? Desirable features, Eg: macros, learning, etc. Battery life, etc.

Here is a picture of my 8 in 1 Kameleon, by UEI. I bought it for $ 99.00 cdn at the Future Shop last may.

It features electrolunimescent lighting, has the ability to store 4 macros, and you can copy buttons from one mode through the next. Feature that was important to me - " punchthrough " of the volume up and down, so that they work to control the receiver regardless of the device selected.

It is also a learning remote ( head to head ), can be programmed through the telephone by holding it near the receiver ( how cool is that? ), or by entering the device codes.

Battery life is very short, as it has a tiny mercury switch to turn it on by vibration, or picking it up. Can be distracting in the dark, as it will come on with loud noises. I however fixed the battery life by installing 4 NIMH rechageables, which is a no-no according to the manufactuer. ( They only recommend alkalines )

Overall, I'd give it a 4 out of 5, because of the short battery life.

Kameleon resized.jpg

post-9504-13819266287804_thumb.jpg

For several years I've used the Universal Remote MX-500. Check it out at:

www.universalremote.com

It has 10 keys with programable 5 alpha/numeric character labels in a LCD panel for 20 unique functions (2 pages of 10) of each of the possible 10 system components, along with fully programable (& learning) common functions (i.e. volume, channel, mute, prev. ch, all VCR/DVD controls, numeric key pad, macro Syst. Pwr, 3 macro buttons (M1, M2, M3), each of the 10 component selection buttons can also become a macro button for changing various system component setups. Every button can be programmed (& learning) uniquely for each component selected. Battery life about 5-6mo. LCD display and keypad is backlit by EL panel. Highly recommended.

Don

Osiris, works great. Backlit (separate button to turn on/off the light) LCD screen, macros, punch through, learning, had it for about 4 months on the same batteries. Under $200 usually. Think the model may be the MX-350, but I would have to take a peek at it.

My PVR uses UHF and has a bunch of special keys for menu, skipping forward and backward, etc. So I don't bother with a universal remote on my HT system since I need that remote anyway. I mostly use the volume on the receiver remote...

My living room system uses a sub-C$100 RCA universal learning remote with macros and backlighting.

MX-3000. It can 'alias' key presses. This lets you nest macros together. It also allows you to change IR codes very easily for something like a new DVD player without having to reprogram any of your macros.

Also allows you to use variables in the programming of the remote to keep state of devices and to do different actions depending upon the variable(s) condition.

Shawn

I use the Home Theater Master MX-700, which has been called the "King Of Universal Remotes." You can customize even the button names on the LCD screen. A sheer joy to use, it alone replaces the 10 or so remotes for my source components.

But I didn't buy it. It came free with my surround-sound processor. I think it goes for $350. Cheaper street, though.

Michael Hurd

Sorry for my error leading to your confusion. Yes, it is the MX-500. Excellent quality at a reasonable price. I could have purchased the MX-700 (I believe that is the model), but chose the MX-500, and it does everything I want it to do. As an example of where I use the power of this remote, pressing the 'System' power button sets the system in the normal conditions by turning on the TV, 2D to 3D conveter, WebTV box, DD5.1 decoder & loading 'Preset 1' analog Line input with Stereo/ProLogic AUTO enabled and a suitable volume level. Now, when I press the 'Xbox' labeled button for video games or DVD movies and hold for 2 sec. (enabling the macro assigned to this button), the remote switches the WebTV to the VCR input where the Xbox video is connected, switches the DD5.1 decoder to the 'Preset 2' optical audio input with 'Surround AUTO/ProLogic AUTO' enabled, and sets the remote to the Xbox mode which contains ALL of the Xbox DVD remote controls as well as the 2D to 3D converter and selected TV/DD5.1 converter controls.

Pressing the 'WebTV' labled button for watching TV or Web access (with or without TV) and holding it for 2 sec. (enabling the macro assigned to this button) reverses the setup by returning the TV to the normal WebTV input, and switches the DD5.1 to the 'Preset 1' analog audio stereo/ProLogic AUTO, and sets the remote to the WebTV mode which has all of the TV and WebTV remote controls as well as selected DD5.1 converter and 2D to 3D converter controls.

Everything in this remote is user programmable by any combination of equipment code, remote to remote 'learning' mode, or direct key inputs. There was nothing that I wanted to do that was impossible.

Don