New forte II mains what effect speakers?

mbash

I have just purchased Forte II for my mains (changing from def techs thank god) and am looking to also change the rear effects as well as the center (i know academy center is the one) but don't really know which kg or other speaker to use for my effects. Any one out there have any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/6/2005 6:21:41 PM mbash wrote:

I have just purchased Forte II for my mains (changing from def techs thank god) and am looking to also change the rear effects as well as the center (i know academy center is the one) but don't really know which kg or other speaker to use for my effects. Any one out there have any suggestions?

----------------

Purists will tell you Forte II all away around. Choice two, stay within the Heritage line (I think in your case, the Heritage II line versus the Heritage I line?) say Heresy or Academy center and Heresy surrounds. In fact, Heresy(s) are a great value in the used market place. Although keep in mind that in HT applications you can get away much easier with surrounds that are not timbre matched to your front three. If size is an issue, the Heresy as a surround won't be for you. If size is not an issue, the Heresy as a surround is a no brainer, especially considering its current value in the used market place.

I have ran both the SS-1 and RS-3 speakers as surrounds and liked them both in HT applications. Overall, I am happier with the RS-3 than the SS-1 just because it is a bigger and more effecient speaker.

Minus an academy, here is a my line up of center choices.

1. Klf c7

2. KG2.2 or 2.5v (I use a 2.2v between my fortes and am pretty happy with it.)

As a matter of fact, I use KG2.2's all the way around (except for the forte mains)in a 7.1 setup. I love this setup. Very clean , in your face sound IMHO.

Other speakers are better of course if you have the room. I have talked to others who have had successs with smaller KGs for surround as well.

The 2.2 is a nice choice if you don't have the money for a good heresy or an academy. You can regularly pick up a pair of 2.2's for less than 200 on ebay, and a 2.2 or 2.5 v for about 150. (By the way, the difference between the 2.2 and the 2.5 isjust the year they were made...the 2.5 took over in 1997 i believe.)

People that think putting non-timbre matching speakers in the back does not make a difference are fooling nobody but themselves! It makes much more difference than you think! It actually pulls away from your front sound stage.

Obviously, another pair of Forte II rear's would be the cat's meow but let's face it some folks just don't have the room or the funds.

Other choices are Heresy II's would be fabulous in the rear with FII's upfront, other decent choices are speakers from the KG line up. KG 2, 2.2, 2.5, 1, 1.2, 1.5. KG4's or KG3's may even work as well but if you are going with something that big might as well go Forte' II. The aforementioned KG's are also great when you go to a 7.1 configuration.

----------------

On 6/6/2005 6:21:41 PM mbash wrote:

----------------

I had KG 1.2's for surrounds all through the Dolby Pro-Logic years (to go with my Forte 1's and a KV-3 center, which I'm trying to replace with an Academy). I finally got Dolby Digital and decided to replace the KG 1.2's with RS-3 II's. For movies, the switch from direct radiating KG 1.2's to the bipole RS-3 II's was a big improvement. When I moved up to 7.1, I put a pair of small SS.5's in the back.

Here's an interesting article about some surround speaker listening tests:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/25/index.html

Side note - I put the KG 1.2's into stereo service in another room, and, wow, I didn't know how under-utilized those speakers were doing surround duty. They sound great!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/7/2005 11:30:54 AM Frzninvt wrote:

People that think putting non-timbre matching speakers in the back does not make a difference are fooling nobody but themselves! It makes much more difference than you think! It actually pulls away from your front sound stage.

----------------

In your opinion..........

For music I totally agree, for HT I beg to differ!

• Moderators

I'm in the same spot as mbash forte 2 for front. I diden't think you should use hersey for rears or center. i have the room in the rear but the center would be tight for another forte 2 but could be done.

• Like 1

I had KG2's in between my Forte's for some time, and it was an acceptable though slightly imperfect match. The Academy beats all hands down. For my current setup, I have Forte L&R, Forte surround, KG2 rears, Academy center. Heresy does NOT match well to Forte as Olorin stated, BE WARNED.

Chris

----------------

On 6/7/2005 3:23:19 PM mbash wrote:

Chris Thanks for you input I will be getting back with you on the networks. Looks like I have an Academy center to find then some KG 2.5v for my effects.

Thanks

Bash
----------------

Don't waste money on the video shielded variety for your surrounds. The models without the v sound the same, but usually go for much cheaper...

The KLFC7 is a solid center, fairly well matched to your ForteII (I use mine with Cornwalls for now). Might be an easier find and easier on the wallet than the Academy.

My vote is for matching full range speakers for the rear. The hunt continues!

Michael

Hey Bash:

BTW, I just finished up a pair of Forte II networks tonite - as soon as I snap some photos (tomorrow), I will forward you some pics, so you can see what these behemoths look like. Each has a 100uF cap on it (+ a 10uF in parallel) - the 100uF caps look like soda cans! Well, maybe not that big...9.gif

I agree with the comments about KLF-C7 center working well with Forte's. I use one between my Forte I's and it sounds smooth across the front to me.

I understand the Academy is the "perfect" match and have not had the opportunity to listen to one, but the C7 seems like a real close second place option, given the availability(not!) and price of Academys.

point_and_shoot

The def tech are great with home theater and imaging is awesome but with music they sounded like ***.... I love the sub I have and will keep it until i find the need to change.It may very well have been the Yamaha reciever also i have switched to Marantz and it is warm and musical.

Bash

Got to agree with the Def Tech comments. I have a pair of small bipolars that sounded like a good idea for my old ProLogic setup, except that they were like 8 db LESS efficient than my Cornwalls and being an older HT receiver, the Yammie 850 put out 1/2 the power to them that the mains got, so another 3db down- you had to wear em like headphones to hear em at all.

bipolar, nice concept, but didn't really work for me- I use em now in my gallery- spraying sound everywhere like Blo$e

Bought some RB5's and my KLF-C7 from a guy who had pretty nice system, all Rotel amps and all Def Tech bipolars all the way around- sounded like JUNK- HATED IT, guess I'm just a HORN guy.

Michael