Bass slam

kohill

I didn't really understand this term until I bought a used pair of Klf-20's recently. Then I bought a used Rotel 200 wpc amp. Wow now I know what you mean. Like in slam you back in your seat slam. I wonder what would happen if I turned it up loud.

----------------

On 6/6/2005 8:40:39 PM kohill wrote:

I didn't really understand this term until I bought a used pair of Klf-20's recently. Then I bought a used Rotel 200 wpc amp. Wow now I know what you mean. Like in slam you back in your seat slam. I wonder what would happen if I turned it up loud.

----------------

I'm using an RB-1080 with a pair of KLF-20's and once the speaker placement is right the bass can actually make you nauseous (a bona-fide medical phenomena being low frequencies affecting the lower GI track, Hitler did to his own people in order to make his own them more submissive).

Rotels sound a LOT better when theyre turned up. At lower power outputs the sound kinda just lies there and doesnt take on much in the way of dynamics, sound staging and all that other good stuff. Unless youre using the RB1095, then its a different story.

I did find a piece of music that I think is the Rotels fault but Im not sure yet. Its Barbers Adagio for Strings. There is a passage in there that puts me to mind of a person that has just dies and is ascending into heaven. Heavy, high pitched violins coming to a climax. Just before the climax I hear a bit of distortion in the right speaker (speakers are fine, I checked). Other than that the Rotel does a lot of things well, not great, but well. Well worth the $900 stores are asking for.1.gif

Here's a review I found:

http://www.stereophile.com//amplificationreviews/608/index.html

But I still plan on getting a McIntosh for that ultimate sound at low volumes.2.gif

Hooray! Another person gets slammed by the bass in the KLF series. I was not joking when I said they have serious bass slam. I wish Klipsch would build the KLF 20 again like the Heritage line, in limited quantities or special order, with a modified crossover to drop the high end back a bit. Then they would be perfect IMHO.

----------------

On 6/6/2005 10:18:38 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

----------------

On 6/6/2005 8:40:39 PM kohill wrote:

----------------

I'm using an RB-1080 with a pair of KLF-20's and once the speaker placement is right the bass can actually make you nauseous (a bona-fide medical phenomena being low frequencies affecting the lower GI track, Hitler did to his own people in order to make his own them more submissive).

Rotels sound a LOT better when they’re turned up. At lower power outputs the sound kinda just lies there and doesn’t take on much in the way of dynamics, sound staging and all that other good stuff. Unless you’re using the RB1095, then it’s a different story.

I did find a piece of music that I think is the Rotel’s fault but I’m not sure yet. It’s Barber’s Adagio for Strings. There is a passage in there that puts me to mind of a person that has just dies and is ascending into heaven. Heavy, high pitched violins coming to a climax. Just before the climax I hear a bit of distortion in the right speaker (speakers are fine, I checked). Other than that the Rotel does a lot of things well, not great, but well. Well worth the $900 stores are asking for.
1.gif

Here's a review I found:

But I still plan on getting a McIntosh for that ultimate sound at low volumes.
2.gif

----------------

You are only one of two other people that are aware of the low frequencies and Hitler. It was always of note that the speakers used were massive with one or two on the ground.

He used psychology to the max. Sick puppy.

Glad you posted that.

..."Hitler did to his own people in order to make his own them more submissive"... {edit} you'd think that he could have made them sick just by what he was saying, but NO!

What's this?! Ok, you guys, spill the beans - where did you get this information? First I ever heard of it.

More info?

DM2.gif

I really need to upgrade my amp 14.gif

oh well, even my "too crappy to mention HT amp" does a good job with the KLF-20's. I can't wait to get them in a bigger room in two months and see what they do.

I just need to find a low budget used amp to drive them puppies right.