where to find lowest price on VPI 16.5 record cleaner?

robster

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy that will be tough,everyone seems to be about the same price,I paid 400 for mine but the owner of the store is a friend of mine,they dont last long on audiogon needledoctor might be a place to check or upscale audio.good luck

I bought mine used from another forum member for $300 about 2 years ago. Still running strong. I think the guy joined the forum just to sell some gear then dissappeared.

If you can find a new one for around $400, grab it. That's about as low as I've seen them.

Yeah, I don't recall where I got mine, but it was right around $400. I looked around for about six weeks, too. Anything $350 or below on Audiogon doesn't usually last much over an hour, either. Forget eBay. I was going to drive to Rochester to pick one up from Bags Unlimited, but between the gas and sales tax, it wasn't worth it.

It'd be interesting to see what the wholesale price is on these. I wonder if they're all sticking to their guns due to the demand, or if it's pretty much down to the bone at $400. I'd guess the latter.

Robert,

I use a Nitty Gritty 1.0 machine. If you call Nitty Gritty directly, they may sell you a "factory blem" for a pretty darn good price. They did me. I've had mine for 4 years and cleaned hundreds of records. The 1.0 works great for me. I especially like the all-manual operation. It gives you the ability to control direction, speed and brush pressure. BTW, I've yet to find the "blem" and it wouldn't matter if I did because I use it out in the garage. These record cleaning machines are so loud, there's no way my roommates (wife, kids, dog) would put up with one in the house.

It's important for me to mention that many people speak highly of all things VPI and probably deservedly so. I bought the Nitty Gritty based on price and the fact they are located near Los Angeles.

Good Luck,

Chris

I second the Nitty Gritty 1.0 reccomendation. I have owned two over the past 12 years--the first one went 10 years and thousands and thousands of records and the second is going strong. You will also need some good brushes (Disc Doctor makes the best) and cleaning solution (you can make your own, but again the Disc Doctor stuff works great and in the 1-gallon size is not too expensive).

ang1.0.jpg

I bit the bullet and bought a VPI 16.5 machine from Audiolab,$449 includes shipping. Elusive Disc will sell them for $520/basic pkg.shipped with one 32 oz bottle record research cleaner and 100 inner sleeves,but they don't have them in stock. Nitty Griity is 20% off retail list on models 1.0 and 1.5 direct from the manufacture.

I could wait for a used one off Audigon,but they go so fast.

I ordered a few LP storage boxes from www.tonyswoodshop.com they should arrive this week. Currently our LP's are being stored in milk crates on the floor.

Cheers,

Robert

----------------

On 6/7/2005 11:52:14 AM Parrot wrote:

You'll like it, Robster. The big advantage it has over the Nitty Gritty is it has a full size turntable, so you can press down hard if you need to.
----------------

Yeah, and when you press down real hard on that filthy thrift store vinyl you can grind some of the filth from the flip side into the mat on the VPI platter! And then when you turn the record over you can rest assured that your newly cleaned side will come to rest on some of that filth and then when you press down real hard again . . .

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:03:05 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Yeah, and when you press down real hard on that filthy thrift store vinyl you can grind some of the filth from the flip side into the mat on the VPI platter! And then when you turn the record over you can rest assured that your newly cleaned side will come to rest on some of that filth and then when you press down real hard again . . .

----------------

Gosh! And just think of all the airborne germ-laden particulates that will latch onto your vinyl as you carry it over to your turntable.

Let's get real here!

I know TWO people who have an extra cork mat for their VPI that they use for the initial cleaning of exceptionally bad thrift store vinyl.

THe Nitty Gritty works great and I'm sure the VPI does as well--but since this thread was about getiing the LOWEST price, Chris and I mentioned a CHEAP, effective alternative to the VPI.

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:50:11 PM Allan Songer wrote:

I know TWO people who have an extra cork mat for their VPI that they use for the initial cleaning of exceptionally bad thrift store vinyl.

THe Nitty Gritty works great and I'm sure the VPI does as well--but since this thread was about getiing the LOWEST price, Chris and I mentioned a CHEAP, effective alternative to the VPI.

----------------

If you'll go back and read carefully, you'll find Robert wanted low price info on the VPI 16.5. Once again, as you did when you recommended a Thorens in another thread, you talk up something that you have, while ignoring the interest of the person posing the original question.

This was not a thread discussing the relative merits of competing record cleaning machines.

The VPI 16.5 and all of the Nitty Gritty models are crap, really. And if you are going to use crap, you might as well buy the cheapest model out there. That's what Chris was trying to say and I was agreeing with him. Just trying to help out--too bad if we offended you.

----------------

On 6/7/2005 12:58:43 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Chris King is the one who brought up the Nitty Gritty--I was just seconding that reccomendation.

And you are STILL a DICK!

----------------

Good morning.

Anyway, Robster, you got as good of a deal as anyone could expect. Even used, many-year-old VPIs hold their value well. I've seen some go for $400+.