Got Corns - any CDBR Experts out there?

codhead

Picked up these Cornwalls on eBay (and really took it in the shorts on shipping). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has opinions on the authenticity of the pictured risers & grilles.

I believe they're 1977 models, based on the "R" in the serial number. The CDBR would have been unfinished. I'm wondering if someone added the grilles & risers or if these were factory installed? Maybe one of you with an eye for detail can tell.

i have 76 CDBR and they usually come from the factory with no grills. i would say the grills and the risers were added on later. if you want to see some great pictures and some great reading from Andy, type this in the search section (Decorator Corwall) not Cornwall

The risers could be original, I don't know when they became available but my 74's have stock risers. They are flush to the rear of cabinet and set back the same distance sides and front. Four metal 'sliders' were used to expedite movement across the factory floor.

Some notes from Andy and others indicate that in later years the Decorators became more and more elaborate as users asked for certain options to become standard. Mitered corners, grilles, etc might have been some of these options.

Good find, glad someone here got them. Are all drivers in good shape?

Michael

----------------

On 6/8/2005 7:33:54 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

The risers could be original, I don't know when they became available but my 74's have stock risers. They are flush to the rear of cabinet and set back the same distance sides and front. Four metal 'sliders' were used to expedite movement across the factory floor.

Some notes from Andy and others indicate that in later years the Decorators became more and more elaborate as users asked for certain options to become standard. Mitered corners, grilles, etc might have been some of these options.

Michael

----------------

Thanks for the riser info. I've been through many of Andy's posts, and it would appear that these parts were available as options - I'm just trying to determine if mine were done at the factory.

As soon as they arrive, they're getting stripped and refinished. I'd like to restore them, so if they're not original, the grilles are gone.

Hope the drivers are good. If not, my '76 HDBB's might have to cough up a donor organ.

I just caught this thread. Those miter joints look EXACTLY like my '76 Corns, and the only difference that I can see is that mine have smaller woofer dust caps (if that's what you call 'em). Mine also have the two port openings as opposed to three, and the grills have one large opening for the squawker/tweeter. Mine did not have risers, so I'm not sure about that one.

I think the grills/front was a factory option.

You're gonna enjoy these!

Woo

----------------

On 6/8/2005 9:05:51 PM codhead wrote:

----------------

On 6/8/2005 7:33:54 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Michael

----------------

Thanks for the riser info. I've been through many of Andy's posts, and it would appear that these parts were available as options - I'm just trying to determine if mine were done at the factory.

As soon as they arrive, they're getting stripped and refinished. I'd like to restore them, so if they're not original, the grilles are gone.

Hope the drivers are good. If not, my '76 HDBB's might have to cough up a donor organ.

----------------

I'd lose the grills. IMO the Decorators were not made to have grills. They look sweet without them. Forum member ChrisK has the best looking pair of Decorators that I have ever heard seen, bar none. Do a search on his name and you'll see them in his avatar.

Older K33's had the smaller, hard fibre dust caps, some with 3/4" flat spot like Altec drivers, if yours were reconed, they might sport the larger models, some of which look like dark black felt. EDIT- just looked again, they look like recone jobs to me. Ask BEC about proper resistance reading to make sure correct voice coil is there, I think it's 10.2 ohms.

If the horns are metal, definitely consider the rope caulk mod to cut down on ringing.

Definitely go NUDE- nuke the grilles- that motor board is beautiful!

Michael

----------------

On 6/8/2005 9:26:04 PM BS Button wrote:

Hey Woo!

----------------

Howdy BS! I ride my bicycle down Grider Pond road two or three times a week on my way to Basil Griffin Park these days!

Now, back to the topic... If you put the effort in to fix them up like ChrisK's Cornwalls I would lose the grills too (you might keep the grills if you have little ones or pets about). His Cornwalls are stunning, and I believe he had an entire thread dedicated to how he did it. Just gotta poke around a bit.

Good luck!

Woo

Those are just like a pair of CDBRs that I have. Mine are from 1978, and they came from the factory with the same trim, grills and risers as yours. The only obvious difference is where the motorboards on mine are painted black.

Rick.

EDIT:

Wait a minute.....I just looked closer at the trim on yours, and it's NOT like mine. Yours also have the Klipsch badge on the motorboard, which makes me think they were shipped without grills. Still, they look better to me with the grills installed.

I have a pair of 1975 CDBRs and they are the flush front models which did not come with grills. I can't really tell very well from the pictures, but yours also look like flush front models. It appears that some trim was added around the front edges to finish around some grills that may have been added.

I thought I read somewhere that Klipsch converted to recessed front (painted black) motor boards and mitered corners somewhere around 1977 or 1978. You may want to do a search on some of Andy's (HDBRbuilder) previous posts, he shed a lot of light on this in the past.

I agree with Colterphoto, those K33's look to be either reconed or are newer drivers.

Nice scoop.

-PB

If you're going to refinish, take Piranha's advice and lose the cain grills. Somewhere here, in one of the threads, is a picture of ChrisK's Cornwalls and once you see them, I bet you'll know what to do.

Just found this from Allan Songer: Chris King has a BEAUTIFUL pair that he has pictures of on his Audio Asylum "systems" page. Just find one of his recent posts (check the "Donations Needed" thread on the 2-channel forum) and click on his "my system" link and you'll find a really nice pic!

No, you didn't "take it in the shorts on shipping". $250, for professional packing and careful shipping-if that's what you get-is about right. I bought one pair off e-bay and was charged $150 for shipping via FedEx. They were very poorly packed and were damaged in-transit. The seller was a gentlemen and refunded half the shipping cost.

My second pair was bought from a fourum member. These were packed by Craters & Freighters, in double-walled boxes on a skid, via motor freight. That shipping also cost $250, but they arrived with nary a scratch.

Thanks for the comments.

This is a hard decision. Do I keep them original, or do I pry off that trim and go for the finished wood look. Guess it depends on how easily the trim comes off. Same for the old finish.

I'll check out the woofers. The center caps and wide band of glue look similar to my '76 Heresys.

Guess I'm not alone regarding the shipping expense. If they make it safely, that's good enough.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the pair that everyone is talking about. Kind of a reddish stained finish. I'd be REAL happy if mine ended up looking like that.