Harmony 880

Skidmarks

I noticed aPrince commented on the difference between buttons on the various models. I don't have access to demo units out here in the sticks, wondering if anyoine else has good or bad comments about the button feel on their Harmony. I'm looking at the 880 or the One, but that's just based on comments on this board. Has anyones' opinions changed since this thread started 3 years ago? eCost currently has the One on sale for $189.

http://www.ecost.com/detail.aspx?edp=40874221&source=k54384

Or the 880 for $100:

http://www.cheapstingybargains.com/21070/harmony-880-remote-control/

Need something new, just looking for opinions from those that have used em for a while.

I love my 880. It replaced 8 remotes. Only a couple of the buttons seem a little small, but the feel is fine. The fact that the backlighting turns on when you pick it up is almost enough reason to purchase it. I also like the fact that there's no batteries to replace and it stays charged.

I agree with both Cecaa and Arky. Just like any new remote that you get there is going to be a learning curve until you get to know the buttons but once that is over smooth sailing. I had my 880 for about a year and half now and it works great. Even when I have people over I just show them which buttons to press for either TV, CD or DVD, that simple. My 880 replaced 4 remotes and I also leave it off the base/charger until it needs the charge.

James

I have the Harmony 1000 and Logitech has admitted to software problems that include volume command sticking. So it has replaced many remotes but I have to exercise caution when volume adjusting the receiver. It is not a hardware issue, the command just sticks. After many emails Logitech's final response was we will contact you when the problem is solved. What a copout! Problem is infrequent so still better to have than not.

I too have a 880 and I love the thing. Back when I had a dedicated HT room, it not only controlled the A/V equipment, but also the three light zones with independant dimmers. Push one button and everything turns on and the lights would dim down to their preset levels. I still use it today but not in a fancy elaborate system. Actually it's kinda overkill for a simple TV and two channel system. But since the wife is severely remote/technology challenged, it greatly simplifies my life that she just presses the "Watch A Movie" button so I no longer hafta hear, "TOM!!!!! I CAN'T GET THE (blankety-blank) DVD TO PLAY!!!!!!!!!! WHICH ONE OF THESE (blankety-blank) REMOTES DOES WHAT!!!???" LOL.............

Tom

An incedental pleasantry popped up with the remote having a charging station. I can always find it! For some reason, the wife and kids put the remote on the station every time they're done with it. With the battery style remotes, you had to check every chair and hiding place to find them. You never knew where to look first.

• 4 weeks later...

I have owned the 628 for a long time now without any problems. Simple to program simple to use can't beat it for the money. I have no need for a bigger model this one does what I want it to and the batterys last quite long. I just downloaded the newest software for it last night so I could use a different receiver, because I got a new computer since i've even needed to fuss with it. It wasn't hard to set it up they had all my old stuff stored and it was very helpfull to me.

This would be nice for simple setups but i'm not sure about running lights or a dedicated HT with the rack gear to the side or behind you. It's IR not RF so you have to aim and click to get things to work. Works great for my living room setup and anyone can use it.

Just a few thoughts...

1) In talking to my dealer and some others.. Touch screens do not always work right, use more battery life..(when back lit in color) and are a lot more expensive. I have a pocket PC phone.. At times..the touch screen sucks.. and is unusable. I hear the same from my dealer on people that buy expensive touch screen remotes.

Harmony / Logitec is a great brand... I assume they have figured this out..

2) Get a Radio Frequency base station for your remote.. This way it will work wherever and no need to point to an "eye" ...someplace that doesn't always work.

3) I have the universal 850 remote with no problems. Every 3-4 months it needs batteries, other than that no issues at all.

4) Prices have lowered and features have been added in the last 2-3 years.. If it was me today I would look hard at this too.

http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=102

5) Ask like your doing here... I did not want a bright touch screen (based on my own phone experience and dealers lead.)

Last, I want to say even my wife and kids can hit "Main ON"..(Everything comes on..set up for HDTV Cable... IF she wants the DVD, just hit DVD...) After that is is channel up or down and volume.. THAT'S IT. When she is done, she hits "MAIN OFF." Everything in steps shuts off... It has worked perfectly every time.. The buttons always work, and everything it controls seems to be availiable. Home Run.

There are a lot of great remotes out there today.

I saw this at Fry's at a great price and am suggesting this to Colterphoto1 too.

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4784929?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

UNIVERSAL RFS2000
Universal Remote And RF Expander

UNIVERSAL:

FRYS.com #: 4784929

Take control with
PowerPak, Including MasterControl RF20 and the PowerBlaster. No more
pointing! Revolutionizes the way a remote works. Finally,
"Barrier-free" RF Control for consumers in a convenient bundle package.

In stock, same day shipping

Detailed Description |

tf_env.gifspace.gifTell a friend| Warranty Info

UNIVERSAL

larger view

Price: $ 129.99

Click Here to Buy It!

Detailed Description

• Control up to 10 components
  • Customizable LCD screen
  • Favorites Channel - choose up to 40 one touch favorites
  • Pre-programmed Codes - guaranteed to work with all components
  • Learning Capable - allows MasterCOntrol™ to stay up-to-date
  • SimpleSound™ - volume control for multi-components
  • MacroPower™ - one button turns all components ON or OFF
  • Fully Backlit Keyboard - easy to see in dark rooms
  • Low Battery Indicator
  • DVD Guide - for quick & easy setup
  • 432 MacroPower™ buttons

MasterControl™ RF20

PLUS

PowerBlaster™ MRF100B

• Finally, hide components behind cabinet & entertainment center doors
  • Picks up RF signals through walls, doors, floor - indoors & outdoors
  • Picks up out-of-sight signals from up to 100' away

I have owned the 628 for a long time now without any problems. Simple to program simple to use can't beat it for the money. I have no need for a bigger model this one does what I want it to and the batterys last quite long. I just downloaded the newest software for it last night so I could use a different receiver, because I got a new computer since i've even needed to fuss with it. It wasn't hard to set it up they had all my old stuff stored and it was very helpfull to me.

This would be nice for simple setups but i'm not sure about running lights or a dedicated HT with the rack gear to the side or behind you. It's IR not RF so you have to aim and click to get things to work. Works great for my living room setup and anyone can use it.

+1 - I've had my 680, basically the same thing, for a little over a year. I love it, and my wife understands it. A Win-Win!