OT: Routers - fixed and plunge

Marvel

NOT the kind on your networks, okay? 9.gif

I've been reading reviews and looking at different models. What do some of you guys use? For instance, I was looking at a Bosch, which comes with both bases, so you can swap out very easily. 2.25 HP, variable speed, blah, blah... $210.

Marvel

I've got a cheapie Craftsman. If I did it again I'd look for horsepower, plunge capability, easy swapping of bits. I think Bosch or Porter is what Norm Abrams uses in his Workshop. He's kind of the king of that sort of thing, but you may have special needs in mind if you're using it to build/modify musical instruments. Maybe variable speed?

Michael

I have two. A Skil pluge and a Porter Cable with both types of bases (fixed and plunge). I really like the porter cable. Very nice feel to it. Not only that, just about any hardware store you go to, they will have accessories for them. Very well known it would appear. The porter cable even comes with a nice instructional CD. The CD even has a router table project instructional video. 1.gif

I use a Dewalt DW625.

I believe it was top rated in a wood working magazine. I has a 15 amp 3 horsepower motor with adjustable up to 22000 rpm. Has both 1/4 and 1/2 collets. It is a plunge router and is all around nice. Also it keeps the constant speed even under load. Lots of power but also you can burn the wood like a mother.

Also I brought it for about 175 dollars at amazon when they had it at 200 dollars and -25 off over 200 dollar items. Also free shipping. And was not refurbished or an old model.

I have Porter-Cable 690 with both bases. FWIW I lived quite happily with a fixed based for a long time before I got a plunge base. With some care, you can just tilt the base and bring the bit into the work from the top if you need to start a cut other than from an edge. A lot of times you can just drill a hole and start the bit in the hole. A plunge base is handy, though, when using a rigid circle cutting jig, and when making very precise slots, etc.

Variable speed is useful mainly when you are using large bits and need to slow down.

Plunge base is also useful when using a router table. You can adjust the bit height without doing anything under the table with the right base plate and accesories. But I just use the regular base.

As you can see, a lot of folks like Porter-Cable.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 8:15:12 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Dude ...

why does yer avatar have a Cerwin-Vega Speaker in it ......
9.gif

----------------

9.gif9.gif

Yeah, the PC gets good reviews too. The 3HP might be overkill.

We have a lot of DeWalt gear at work. Good stuff too.

m00n,

No work on instruments with this size router. Most instrument makers use Dremels. You can get nice router bases for them. Folks use them to route out cavities for inly work, using 1/16 inch spiral bits, etc.

Now, the larger routers ARE used to make cavities for pickups and such in electric guitar bodies.

Marvel

Marvel,

Best to not get one of those big 3HP beasts (IMHO). You want to be able to maneuver it with a certain amount of agility. I'd go with the PC 690 fixed base. It's a classic, like a good tube amp!

hello the bosch you are looking at is a great set, bosch makes top quality tools, i have a compareable set up porter cable haas the same type set with both bases , i have used it for several decks rounding edges more than a few furniture projects etc... i was going to sell the porter cable to buy the bosch it has some features that are better IMO, and i put bosch ahead of porter cable as far as build quality i wasnt able to get a fair price offer so i kept the porter cable set, the bosch has higher hp rating than the porter and that translates to better performance under heavy use, you will rarely use the plunge base, but it sure is nice to have when you need it, bosch also makes a very nice table you can attach your router to for more control on mouldings and repetative cuts. i do wood work for a living and i wouldnt hesitate to buy the bosch set you asked about if i didnt already have mine10.gif Joe

instead of buying one killer big do it all machine look at buying two, one fixed base and one plunge. i have 5 routers, it is so much easier to have them set up fo a specific use, they are reasonably priced and any big brand name is gonna preforme well. go to a wood working store where they will let you try them. my favorite is a pc americam classic 1/2 hp very comfy to use and does 90% of my work. the big 2.5 hp router gets the least use of all, corion edges and corion cutting is all it is used for.

the reason I brought the 3 hp dewalt was it was actually cheaper using amazon buying the 3 hp over the 2-1/4. Though one thing was the 2-1/4 was the first router to have a vacuum attachment that was built in and not an attachment. Also I have a huge bit and need that power. I have a 1 inch radius roundover bit that I have/will use. Just put it on speed 2 out of 5 and it will plow through mdf like butter. Also not to be biased and all but the 3 hp has a soft start motor so it will not jump out of your hand and once it's brought to power it is like a gyro. Technically if you shut it off by accident and turn it on it waits until the bit actually stops thus preventing a sudden jump and also soft starts as normal. I say I rather have a over kill then underkill router. As I had an old sears router that was I believe 3/4 hp with a dull router bit and when I used it I thought the wood was on fire from all the smoke. But if you are happy with you router then the best for you. I been a dewalt user ever since their first 18 volt model. I heard Fresnel is great to but the measurements on the tool itself were metric!!! 6.gif

I've got two, an older Craftsman, I think it's 3/4 horse, that I use for portable stuff, and I bought a Milwaukee fixed base a couple months ago for my router table, I believe it's 2 hp. I looked at the PC with both bases, but when I was looking at it in the store I accidently tipped it over without having the base tight and the router fell out and dropped 3-4 feet to the floor with a nice THUD. I didn't want to have to worry about that in a table setup, so went with the Milwaukee. Been very happy with it, even has an adjustment for height that you can do from on top of the table, all you have to do is reach under it to loosen the base then twist a wrench from the top, pretty simple. I will admit, the reason I looked at the PC first was that it gets great reviews, though a couple had mentioned that it can fall out of the base if inverted. I forgot. 15.gif