Goodbye to good people---but why??

Lets face it voicing ones opinion here can be a serious occupational hazard. If you voice an unpopular or even moderately disputed position this place can get pretty dicey. That said there are known quantities or elements who seem to possess frequent abuser cards and they eventually get shown the door. It is an unfortunate and unpleasant aspect of the online community. Myself I try to ignore most if not all posts I find objectionable unless I believe it is a very overt transgression. I hate to see Erik go but Allan has IMO probably more than once over exercised his right to free speech. Then again we all have at some point and I hate to see Allan go as he did contribute a lot of good but restraint is an easy option to apply. I hate to see anyone go but the moderators here have to draw a line in the sand somewhere, if we cross it we pay the price.

EDIT: I am probably somewhat remiss in not extending the same comment I made about Allan to Parrot as well, as we all know he tends to go over the top as well.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The situation with Allan was and is very regrettable. He had been warned, and blatently ignored the warnings with the latest attacks that included very rude language. That cannot be tolerated under any circumstances.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I like sparring with Allan; he does get a bit over the top as I do when geting a little drunk in the wee hours of the morning. 2005 has been a rough year.

Erik I remeber posted some technical info that was either unsound or imcomplete. As others judged it; it was beyond me.

Poor technical information must be challenged harshly.

If some NEWBIE used it and up went in smoke some of his hard earned components that would be sad.

Everybody needs a vacation from here wheter self imposed or otherwise; allot of passion and testosterone.

"I hope it doesn't appear that we are showing favoritism."

For as long as I can remember, people on this board have complained time after time about the baiting of Mr. Parrot. As always, only those who responded to the bait have been banned. The case of Mr. Edmond came to mind. Nothing has changed. If there is no fire there can't be any smoke! Seems quite simple to me.

• Moderators

kev313

Now, in my defense (of course), I let a lot of off topic discussion go on. I even let SET arguments go on, as long as there is no attacks on anyone personally. I think that's fairly standard (and we do have a forum policy if you hold the mouse button over "forum" on the main page and click policy).

Politics and religion I banned as topics a looong time ago, because they ALWAYS end up in personal attacks. I am inundated with complaints of people being personally offended, so I chose to eliminate them. Those threads are either locked or deleted immediately.

When other topics are closed, generally, the reason they are closed has been deleted. The thread on Michael Jackson that was started today, for example, would have been fine, but someone threw in a post about impeaching President Bush (hello, relevance?). I choose to delete that post and lock the thread to prevent further problems. I don't believe any topic on Michael Jackson is a good idea anyway. Too controversial, and involving too many sensitive subjects.

You want to discuss fishing? Or Desperate Housewives? Or how to care for you lawn? I'm all for it!! 9.gif

I'm not trying to be Miss Manners here, running a squeaky clean board...Notice I let the best insult thread go on for, what is it now, 6 pages? I just want people to feel comfortable.

• Moderators

----------------

On 6/13/2005 9:55:58 PM neo33 wrote:

"I hope it doesn't appear that we are showing favoritism."

For as long as I can remember, people on this board have complained time after time about the baiting of Mr. Parrot. As always, only those who responded to the bait have been banned. The case of Mr. Edmond came to mind. Nothing has changed. If there is no fire there can't be any smoke! Seems quite simple to me.

----------------

For the record, 2 people have complained to me directly in almost 2 years about baiting. I don't recognize baiting if it's not pointed out to me. I don't know everyone well enough to know what comments get to them.

We need a "banned" section. The offenders get sent there to perform their penance. Basically a cooling off period and an opportunity to work out their differences. After they've worn themselves out they can come back. As far as the baiting goes, there are different kinds of "baiting", so yeah, that's going to be tough.

I've only been here a short while. I've done searches and read the posts made by the "controversial". I've read the crap that's posted in the two channel forum that has little, if anything to do with two channel audio. I can tell you this for certain, most of what I've read convinces me of the fact that you folks are a bunch of BABIES. I've also read a number of posts from the much vilified "Parrot". You people have got to be kidding. To compare this forum to the Lansing Heritage site is a JOKE, there are a MILLION times more here. The only people that get "walked on" at Lansing are dumb posting meaningless tripe. If I am banned for what I just said by your "she police" then so be it. If there is no room for debate, then why have a forum, just buy ad time. For what it's worth, the "Parrot" guy is one of the most clever writers I have ever encountered on an internet forum.

• Moderators

Debate all you want, but do not refer to me as SHE POLICE and do not use the language you used, which I have edited. There is no reason for it, and if you don't like it, well...

JJ, I agree with you to a point. However, something to keep in mind is that this is a community built around relationships as much as our speakers, gear, and music. It creates a completely different dynamic. BTW, the Altec Lansing forum is boring, which probably explains why you're here.9.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2005 10:17:38 PM nicholtl wrote:

You've got a point. You're a pretty clever writer yourself. Catchy name as well, Jimmy J. But there's no need to be sexist. She'd whoop your ***.

----------------

2.gif Well said nick. I don't think this thread is much longer for the runnin.

Amy sez: "You want to discuss fishing? Or Desperate Housewives? Or how to care for you lawn? I'm all for it!!

I'm not trying to be Miss Manners here, running a squeaky clean board...Notice I let the best insult thread go on for, what is it now, 6 pages? I just want people to feel comfortable. "

I'm with ya Amy, occasionally there is a child here who is naughty and needs a 'time out'. You're a good Mom to us young-uns here on the Forum. I know that you have reacted appropriately to comments about inappropriate photos and jokes and commend you for your level of action in all circumstances.

I for one, probably spend an unhealthy amount of time here. I'll try to take Marvel's advice to some degree and 'get a life', checking in at most once a day. That should be sufficient. I love you guys, but need some real human interaction in my life, besides it IS SUMMER! Time to get the boat in the water.

Michael

----------------

On 6/13/2005 9:44:58 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 6/13/2005 9:27:01 PM Amy Unger wrote:

We're doing the best we can. I hope it doesn't appear that we are showing favoritism. We are doing what we can to stick to the rules of the forum.

----------------

In my humble opinion, baiting is just as offensive as the foul language. For every post with foul language, I could show you 20+ acts of baiting. Sometimes it comes to the point where a person just won't take it anymore. Both should be banned. If not, it's showing favoritism. All of the baits may not have all been on the same day or in the same thread, but they're there and they accumulate.

You know I love you Amy but you and Trey are June and Ward Clever while Paul plays Eddie Haskel. Wally and the Beev just couldn't take Eddie's crap anymore.

----------------

Excellent post Gary! Possibly your best ever! I might choose a different 60's sitcom, like The Andy Griffith Show, though. Amy is Andy, Trey is Barney Fife. Craig is Aunt Bea, I'm Opie, Dean is Howard Sprague (notice the capacitor tie-in), Henry is Goober, Henry is Otis, Henry is Thelma Lou, Henry is Gomer...

• Moderators

----------------

On 6/13/2005 10:24:02 PM fini wrote:

Excellent post Gary! Possibly your best ever! I might choose a different 60's sitcom, like The Andy Griffith Show, though. Amy is Andy, Trey is Barney Fife. Craig is Aunt Bea, I'm Opie, Dean is Howard Sprague (notice the capacitor tie-in), Henry is Goober, Henry is Otis, Henry is Thelma Lou, Henry is Gomer...

----------------

Thanks for the laugh, fini, as usual.... I needed that!!

Especially Trey as Barney Fife.... I'm actually crying I'm laughing so hard.

9.gif

----------------

On 6/13/2005 10:02:05 PM Amy Unger wrote:

I don't recognize baiting if it's not pointed out to me. I don't know everyone well enough to know what comments get to them.

----------------

Do you use Microsoft Excel? Perhaps I can put something together.

----------------

On 6/13/2005 8:01:57 PM neo33 wrote:

"Much more disappointing to me is the fact that Allan Songer has apparently been told to go away. I understand this is because Trey Cannon felt his responses to Parrot were inappropriate."

Do you think Mr. Cannon and Mr. Parrot are related?

----------------

Well, probably not Trey and Paul. . . . . but I do wonder about Paul and Jimmy James maybe being alter egos of each other.