Members Weekly Music Recommendtions-June 20

thebes

Thought I'd change things just a little bit this week. Just think, some of you are headed off to Indy for the annual pilgrimage this week where you will be exposed the finest that Klipsch and Aragon have to offer. Ah, but here's the rub, everybody there knows music, and everybody there has has a little something they want everybody to hear. So for this week only instead of an entire cd, how about just a cut that you'd want to share. Those of us who aren't going can think on what we'd like to bring, and perhaps those who are actually going could offer up what they will be packing in hopes of getting it on the changer.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Marche Militaire Française by Camille Saint-Saëns, played by Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, This is a cut off a cd and is definetly classical.

LarryC was kind enough to share this with us on Saturday when Skonopa and GaryMD stopped by for a listen to my new system. Full of dynamics, strongly played from start ot finish and runs your system ragged from front to back, left to right, up and down the scale. Pretty damn nifty tune.

So what do you want to share this week:

I always get chills halfway through the cut "Praise" on "The First Circle" from the Pat Metheny Group about 20 years ago. The CD would be in the jazz bin, but this song starts off with a lot of folky acoustic guitars and organ that sounds like a harmonica over Pedro Aznar's wordless singing and ends with that unmistakable Metheny synthesized guitar solo--a short little gem of a piece.

Its not on any of his compilations as a "greatest hit", but its my favorite by him.

I'm spinning "The Widow" by The Mars Volta. I heard the song on the radio a while back and thought, wow! they've got real singer and was that a guitar solo? I rushed out and picked it up. It turns out to be a very eclectic and strange band. Tons of weird stuff here for the ears, which makes it cool.

Also, the new Coldplay is nothing to write home about. IMHO

Chris

----------------

On 6/22/2005 10:52:04 PM Big Ears wrote:

I'm spinning "The Widow" by The Mars Volta...

----------------

I met the band - Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler - at Wholefoods Market about 3 weeks ago. They had just come from a KROQ concert. I told them I was a huge fan of their music, and they were really cool. They also had some dope tattoos. And talk about fro's!

----------------

I met the band - Omar Rodriguez-Lopez and Cedric Bixler - at Wholefoods Market about 3 weeks ago. They had just come from a KROQ concert. I told them I was a huge fan of their music, and they were really cool. They also had some dope tattoos. And talk about fro's!

----------------

That's really cool! I'm liked the CD so much, I will go see them when they come to Vegas next time.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 4:04:02 PM Big Ears wrote:

That's really cool! I'm liked the CD so much, I will go see them when they come to Vegas next time.

----------------

If you liked their album Frances the Mute, then you'll totally dig their previous (and better) record, Deloused in the Comatorium.

You might also want to look into At the Drive In, which was the group they were in before it split into Mars Volta (considered to be music less accessible), and Sparta (more accessible).

THEBES - yes, that is kinda cool! Only you got 2 hot twins listening to it with you, and I got...well...my imaginary friends.

Here is one that could be classified as a guilty pleasure; at least for me since I am generally a rocker. I have found that the vinyl(record)is much better than the CD, if the vinyl can still be found. The bass is intesified so much more on the vinyl copy,and the highs very crisp. So here goes, I can hear the chuckles in the background. 9.gif

Artist: Vangelis

Album: Chariots Of Fire Soundtrack

Song/Cut: Eric's Theme/ Track 4

Very good to relax to with a nice cold beer-I mean beverage, after a hard days work or whatever.