Making XLR to RCA Cables

Here's a good read up on the whole concept with pictures:http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/cable_xlr_to_phone.html

...and you can find all the parts you need over at http://www.partsexpress.com/.

I would just recommend going with the cheapest you can find, but I'm that type that doesn't think cables make a difference. 2.gif

Instead of making your own, you can probably just swing by a local pro audio store (like a guitar center or sam ash or something like that) and pick up a pre made cable. I used to make my own, but my pro audio dealer is selling them for like $8 each, which isn't that much more expensive than buying your own cables and tips and burning your fingers lots.

lol 3.gif

My problem is I don't have any of those fancy clamp things so I either gotta twist the cable to sit in place or gotta get creative in how I hold the wires down long enough for the solder to set. I usually end up getting burned from the heating going through the tips of the connector...if I do a good job, the solder sets fast and there's little heat transfer, but if I mess up I'm applying heat for longer and the heat goes from cold to insane hot so fast that I just get burned before I realize it (and then I drop everything and I try to catch the iron sometimes too, lol).

Wow, it's only $5 too, here I thought the clamp would be expensive:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=360-670

• 2 weeks later...

I found some adaptors at a local store that caters to recordingn studios and live performance venues.

They were about $6 ea. but added quite a bit of resistance. To get the same volume I had at the 10:30 position on the volume knob now has to go to 12:00.

It did lower the noise floor (that could have something to do with the added resistance).

Is this what you're talking about Tom? (all the pics are links)

274-016.jpg

or

274-017.jpg

That's the only thing I can think of that will change the volume because it's using a transformer to change the impedance between line and mic level as discussed here:

matchtrn.gif

I think technically the transformer is supposed to introduce a 20dB difference, but that's only if your original source was at a mic impedance (in other words, a slightly different input impedance doesn't get attenuated as much? hmm that doesn't sound right). Perhaps your adapters were using a different value on the transformer then.

I built the cables last night. It was as easy as soldering the RCA's, just had to connect the #1 and #3 taps together.

I made RCA to XLR using Zapper's blue cable, some nice RCA ends that I got on eBay a while ago and some XLR adapters with silver connectors from PartsExpress ($2.25 each). I made 6 cables in all. They are all "non balanced" now to work with home audio equipment. Like I said, really easy to make.

Chris

Whenever I make up cables, I have a board with holes in it to hold the parts. A 1/4" hole for the phone plugs (not phon), and one to hold the XLR pieces. Works pretty well, and keeps them form rolling of the table into your lap.

If you make one up, you can do it where you have spring clothespins to hold the wire in place for you.

I have also used a regular pair of pliers with a piece of bicycle innertube to hold the parts.

Bruce

----------------

On 7/1/2005 2:26:32 PM DrWho wrote:

Is this what you're talking about Tom? (all the pics are links)

That's the only thing I can think of that will change the volume because it's using a transformer to change the impedance between line and mic level as discussed here:

I think technically the transformer is supposed to introduce a 20dB difference, but that's only if your original source was at a mic impedance (in other words, a slightly different input impedance doesn't get attenuated as much? hmm that doesn't sound right). Perhaps your adapters were using a different value on the transformer then.

----------------

Pretty close. The only difference is that mine have RCA male/female ends instead of the 1/4".

Img_0724.jpg

Img_0725.jpg