Sunfire Theater Grand IV question

norcuron

Hi,

I asked this in my Aragon thread but thought I may get a few more opinions in a thread of it's own. I am considering trying to find a couple more Carver TFM-45s (already use the one in my sig 375wpcx2 I know I know it's overkill for Klipsch :) ) to go along with a Sunfire TG IV that I ordered today. Do you all think I should consider a newer one? or the classic stuff will work just fine? I can consider the Sunfire but it's a lot of $$$$$. Think I am doing good getting a brand new TG IV for $3200 out the door. Should be here in a week. Thanks for opionions. They are always welcome.

MrMcGoo,

Would I be better off simply purchasing a new sunfire 5.1 amplifier vs bidding on a used sunfire amp on e-bay.

*I have found that the sunfire signature 5.1 amps on e-bay are a very popular amp to bid on and often go for close to 60-70 percent of the retail price used. (3-5 years owned consistently)

*I assume that perhaps that a new sunfire amp 5.1 can be had for less than the retail price from an authorized retailer... Is this true

Dog,

I purchased my stereo amp NIB for 60% of MSRP from an authorized dealer on closeout. My 5 channel was purchased more reasonably on the used market out of warranty. Be sure to look on AudiogoN for used amps as well as eBay.

Out of warranty amps in good shape are ok to buy as long as you are careful. Sunfire's flat rate repair policy is very reasonable.

Bill

norcuron, not 100% sure of what you are asking...but if you already have 1 TFM-45 I would seriously consider looking for a few more. I have 4 Carver TFM-25s working with my Sunfire TGIV and love it. Sure the 5-7 channel amps take up less space. But I like having multiple 2 channel amps with seperate power supplies. Give it some thought.

I believe he has a TGIV and is wondering if he should get a multi-channel sunfire amp or look for more TFM-45 2 channel amps to go with the TGIV. BTW TGIV is a pre/pro not a receiver.

If he did not already have one TFM-45 I might suggest he go with the multi-channel sunfire. However, since he already has one AND assuming (not always safe to assume) he likes it. I would consider getting two more TFM-45s for a 6.1 set up and go from there. He can always sell the old carver amps for close to what he buys them for. Maybe more if he buys in the summer and sells in the winter. Just my $0.02.

I listened to a TGIV with the sunfire 5 channel amp and liked it. So much so I bought the TGIV. For me I like the sound of the older carver TFM amps and since I had already had a TFM-25 I went the route of tracking down more TFMs rather then getting the new sunfire multi-channel amps.

Hey, interesting side note this is my 500th postman I need to lay off this obsession for a while.

Frz, I am not so sure about this...I thought the same thing, but I have just recently been using the TGIV and 400~7 together with RF-7's and full older synergy surround, and the transients are amazing...with the balanced connectors (yes, I know the system is not truly "balanced" - but the noise IS reduced) and good calibration this thing shows highs and lows like a madman. From whisper quiet to knock your head off in milli-second, baby.

I was not so sure about the Sunfire stuff, seemed like smoke and mirrors and I have heard and read the arguments against the 400~7 being able to run all channels continuously, but I tell you what, this thing appears (so far, only have maybe 50 hours on it so far), to do everything it says it will do and then some.

You will really like the channel separation and the Dolby PLIIx is pretty cool with two channel signals, if you have any questions when you get it, let me know...I woulnd'nt mind combining heads to eek out the best sound if you are game for question adn answer. Still trying to work the Holographic thing, just not quite there...

As far as older amps or the newer 400~7, well I wouldn't know how the old works or sounds...never heard them. BUT, I will say that instead of buying several older two channel amps (with the attendant hassle of space requirements, power requirements and the ungodly wiring nightmare - which I had actually considered too (had a line on several relatively cheap Sunfire two channels) - I think I made the right decision going with one integrated amp box, and the sound is superb. I guess it depends on what you can get the separate amps for...if you shop long enough you will find decent deals.

The last two 400~7's I saw go down on Ebay went for 2500 +/- 50, and 2600 +/- 50 (get on and look and you should find it)...I got mine with four years 10 months of warranty for a buy it now of 2400 and picked it up locally, which I thought was a kick *** deal. I was able to pick up the TGIV from www.Audioclassics.com for $1999.00 used and the condition was brand new, despite being labeled a B1 (used, with minor scratches)! The guys there were great, if you have not gone to that site, I recommend it, great stuff great prices...while I think the warranty was void/out on the TGIV, they still gave me a year warranty through them, and the conditon of the unit was spotless! No, I don't own the company nor get anything from this endorsement....

That is my experience, sorry if I didn't help.

K

--What about the sound quality between 12 year old amps and todays latest technology? Thanks--

I think it would be hard to tell unless you could A/B them side by side. I just bought a 1960-ish Scott amp for two channel use and my Carver amps are early 1990s. You also see a lot of people trying to dig up the vintage gear (amps, TTs, etc). My gut tells me that today it is more about the money then the sound. Not like 1992 was a long time ago in grand scheme of things and Bob Carver has always been known for sticking to his guns rather then listening to board members.

Bottom line I don't think you would be unhappy either way. In a perfect world given unlimited time I would scrounge up the old TFMs then find a store that would let you in home demo the Sunfire. If you like the Sunfire better you could sell the TFMs for about what you have in them. If you like the TFMs better give em and give back the Sunfire. Probably not a realistic scenarios...but a sure way to tell.

Last week there was some discussion about multiple 2 channel amps vs. a single multi-channel amps and Frzn and others confirmed my feeling that separate power supplies, caps, and the like have their pros.

I personally like the look of a lot of amps in a rack. Looks more like a professional studio to me. However it depends on what you like and the space you have. Kriton is right about the space it surely takes up more of it. Not sure I agree with him about the wiring. You still have to hook up all the channels and all the speakers regardless if they are to one box or many.

----------------

On 6/24/2005 11:59:04 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

Dog,

I purchased my stereo amp NIB for 60% of MSRP from an authorized dealer on closeout. My 5 channel was purchased more reasonably on the used market out of warranty. Be sure to look on AudiogoN for used amps as well as eBay.

Out of warranty amps in good shape are ok to buy as long as you are careful. Sunfire's flat rate repair policy is very reasonable.

Bill

----------------

That's an intriguing policy they have. Wonder how much of a bath they take on replacing the power supply, transformers, and circuitry between from a lightning-related surge for $235...

I've seen the carnage in electronics post-lightning type surge. It's pretty ugly, and it extends well beyond the power supply...