Picky's Pix: Photos from the Kipsch Pilgrimage

Home-Sweet-Home!

I pulled into the driveway about 1:05 PM Detroit Time on Sunday. I hope everyone else had a safe trip back home.

Before I show you any more photos, I have a few items to take care of first:

I want to thank Craig (NOS Valves) for hosting Friday night's mixer party at the hotel. There were some issues with how much the hotel wanted to charge us for using the room, food and drinks and Craig nearly got taken because they had placed the charges against his credit card and the charges were much greater than they were supposed to be and much higher than the money all of the members had chipped in. I spoke with j-malotky at last night's dinner and he mentioned that Craig was able to get the hotel to see things our way, and I guess that whole thing got settled. Please correct me if I am wrong Craig.

----------------------------------------------

{EDIT}: I have new information! Apparently Craig did get stuck for $182! So, I wish to issue a plea that all of you whom attended and enjoyed the soft drinks and food but were told they did not have to contribute, please contact Craig and kindly send him $10 to even things up.

Craig's paypal is craigostby@comcast.net or his mailing address is:

Craig Ostby

2097 E. Judd Rd.

Burton, MI. 48529

After all, we all had a wonderful time and I realize you were told that you did not have to pay at the beginning of the evening. But that was before we found out the Hotel was charging us more than we were told they would. We must not allow Craig to foot the bill for us. For reference: those of us drinking alchohol were asked to contribute $25. Thanks to all of you who are able to come through for Craig!

----------------------------------------------

Second, thanks again to Craig for hosting the after hours party in his hotel room. Everyone had a great time having a few brewskis thanks to j-malotky and Daymon Payne who brought beer for all to enjoy. We listened to Craig's tube amps hooked up to a pair of Synergys. We also gave the hotel security staff something to do. They looked bored.LOL! They paid us a couple of visits to "keep it down".

Next, I want to thank everyone at Klipsch again (including Fred Klipsch whom we all met) for thier generousity and hospitality, especially Trey Cannon and Amy Unger. You are the best!

Lastly, but not least, I want to thank everyone for the Kudos you gave me for doing the pictures for the forum and for the congrats on winning the drawing. It's all very much appreciated and I am very flattered and still shocked. Thank you all!

Now, onto the photos!! HELP WITH NAMES PLEASE!!!!!!!!

From Friday Night's Mixer:

Klipsch Pilgrimage 022-20.jpg

Klipsch Pilgrimage 023-20.jpg

Klipsch Pilgrimage 024-20.jpg

Klipsch Pilgrimage 025-20.jpg

Damon Payne

Klipsch Pilgrimage 026-20.jpg

Tom Blasing (left), Mark Maple

Klipsch Pilgrimage 028-20.jpg

Piranha

Klipsch Pilgrimage 030-20.jpg

Klipsch Pilgrimage 031-202.jpg

skonopa, j-maltoky, Picky

Klipsch Pilgrimage 033-20.jpg

Klipsch Pilgrimage 034-20.jpg

Klipsch Pilgrimage 037-30.jpg

Synergy's and LaScalla's that we had on hand and my little tripod with a Sears Craftsman Digital Sound Level Meter that we used for taking measurements.

From the mixer and courtesy of Michael Colter (colterphoto1): (Photos Below)

michael0391.jpg

Piranha, j.4knee

michael0411.jpg

michael042.jpg

Dean (DeanG) & Roger (Indyklipschfan)

michael043.jpg

Mike Miller (Spaaaz), itGuy (Kevin Miller), Pat Gonzalez (GonzP) & Mark Maple

michael045.jpg

Rosalie, Linda, Sandra & Mick Bell

michael046.jpg

Matt Spitnagle (left), Andy Wickham (AndyW)(right), electrical engineers at Klipsch

michael047.jpg

j-matloky, Boomac, Paul Parrot

michael048.jpg

cyclonecj & Dr.Who

michael049.jpg

Paul Parrot, Craig (NOS Valves), cyclonecj & Dr.Who

michael050.jpg

j-malotky, Boomac (with "Bunny Ears"), Piranha, Paul Parrot, Dr. Who, & Seadog

michael052.jpg

skonopa, Steven Phillips (SteveP) from Klipsch and greg928s4

michael0531.jpg

michael0551.jpg

Craig (NOS Valves), Roger (IndyKlipschFan) & Michael Colter (colterphoto1)

michael056.jpg

Craig (NOS Valves) and Trey Cannon (Roger (IndyKlipschFan) in background)

michael0631.jpg

scorpsfan, silversport and scriven

I will add more photos tomorrow. I hope you enjoy them! 2.gif

post-10177-13819266914032_thumb.jpg

Dang Picky I know Tom and I werer the coolest guys there but this hommage wow what can I say???9.gif2.gif

This was a great weekend; QMAN asked about the THX Ultra II subs, all I can say is wow. They kept up with a 3 La Scala front and two Belle Klipsch rear array quite easily. Some groups actually reported folks moving out of the way to a position further back in the room when the depth charges went off in the U571 movie clip. Now granted we did not use Q-Man approved methodology of measuring SPLs by observing our garage door for movement and vibration but it was pretty impressive and I though the integrate wit the folded horn Bass units extremely well.

The tour was fantastic; we saw some pretty interesting stuff. Klipsch went tall out IMO with their presentations from Jim Hunter in the engineering lab to Andres presentation of Best Buy Synergy products, the blind speaker test. The lunch and dinner, the hospitality was absolutely incredible. I cannot thank Trey, Amy, et al enough for putting this on for us with such enthusiasm. The product development presentation was pretty interesting. I really enjoyed the HT demo with the THX Ultra II system., the Heritage demo was incredible thanks to Larry C for the music track selections for the K-Horns to show them off. The Plaques presented were really cool, cant figure out why my wife passed on the tie. I was very much impressed wit the hospitality of the folk all over Indianapolis. My wife and I encountered some of the friendliest people we have ever met. As indicated by many the Klipsch folks really did it right for us. First working like dogs to set this up giving up their day off to come in and entertain us. You just cannot say enough about that. Mr. Fred Klipsch came by just in time to send of off on our why through the facility tours. Yeah it was a pretty incredible weekend. Again my deepest thanks and appreciation to Trey and Amy for getting this set up.

EDIT: Picky you corrected it before I could post!!!!! Also a special thanks to Picky for the first installation of the Picky Report.

----------------

On 6/26/2005 4:22:36 PM picky wrote:

I want to thank Craig (NOS Valves) for hosting Friday night's mixer party at the hotel. There were some issues with how much the hotel wanted to charge us for using the room, food and drinks and Craig nearly got taken because they had placed the charges against his credit card and the charges were much greater than they were supposed to be and much higher than the money all of the members had chipped in. I spoke with j-malotky at last night's dinner and he mentioned that Craig was able to get the hotel to see things our way, and I guess that whole thing got settled. Please correct me if I am wrong Craig. So, thanks to Craig for taking a bullet for the whole crew!

----------------

The hotel did reduce the first bill but it still resulted in a fairly good sized balance for Craig to pay. So come on all you Klipschters, chip in. The hotel charged $300 for the food spread, so if you ate but didn't drink, some recompense to Craig would be appropriate.

----------------

On 6/26/2005 5:10:24 PM Parrot wrote:

The hotel did reduce the first bill but it still resulted in a fairly good sized balance for Craig to pay. So come on all you freeloaders, chip in. The hotel charged $300 for the food spread, so if you ate but didn't drink, some recompense to Craig would be appropriate.

----------------

Paul or Craig, how much per?

Larry

----------------

On 6/26/2005 5:56:20 PM LarryC wrote:

Paul or Craig, how much per?

----------------

I think, based on The Mixer thread, maybe $10 for food-eaters would be great. The idea was that the room was going to cost $350 (not covered by Klipsch but by attendees), but that it would be free IF we instead paid for a bartender, bar, and food. So even if we hadn't had any food or drink there, attendees would have had to kick in $10 or so to cover costs.

I knew there was some dispute with the cost of the mixer but never heard how much a disparity there was. I'll gladly throw in another 10... if it will help defray Craig's out of pocket expense, I had no idea HI stung him that badly. Can we just Paypal Craig or is there another central colllection point for this?

Well just to set the story straight I said this ended up not being that big a deal. Although with the month I just had with my father in the hospital causing me to basically not get any work done for a entire month makes surprise expenses a real budget killer. The extra expense I incured was $182

Anyone that feels like sending some $ to cover it my paypal is craigostby@comcast.net or my mailing address is

Craig Ostby

2097 E. Judd Rd.

Burton, MI. 48529

Thanks Craig

PS

I personally feel the people that did pay what was mentioned in the mixer thread shouldn't be expected to pay anything more. Most of the people that were not drinking beer or mixed drinks sure looked to me to be walking around with cokes and bottled water that I believe were part of the packaged bar. We were darn lucky to get off like we did the policy at the hotel is it just doesn't matter a "head is a head" and they don't care if you drink booze or not. I can completely understand this I mean the bartender can't be expected to be constantly checking everyone to see if they paid at the rates they charged. If Trey and I didn't do some fast talking I would of been out $500 to $600. I stated that everyone was expected to pay when we were doing anouncements.

Read through the different threads and reports, and sounds like Klipsch went all out for their fans. Wish I could have joined you guys, but there's hoping for next year.

BTW, thanks for all the pics... it's fun to put faces on the aliases. Keep them and the details coming...

Rob

120 db with the LaScalas.

Were you using the subs when you measured the 120db? If the subs wern't bottoming out at that level and were still blending in well with the LaScalas, then they might be able to keep up with LaScalas and Klipschorns.

J.4knee, thanks for the input. You had to bring up that garage door thing11.gif.

----------------

On 6/26/2005 11:08:54 PM Tom Blasing wrote:

Craig,

I left the mixer early and didn't hear about the need for money. Will send you a check. Burton is near flint, yes? Have you ever been to Today's Audio?

sheila

(There she goes using my computer again...
12.gif
. Gotta love er' though.)
----------------

Oh yes I have bought a few floor models and have had a few friends buy trade-in klipsch from Red at Todays audio. He even gave me a original Klipsch Bull**** button.

Craig

----------------

On 6/27/2005 8:54:21 AM Q-Man wrote:

120 db with the LaScalas.

Were you using the subs when you measured the 120db? If the subs wern't bottoming out at that level and were still blending in well with the LaScalas, then they might be able to keep up with LaScalas and Klipschorns.

J.4knee, thanks for the input. You had to bring up that garage door thing
11.gif
----------------

Qman,

I believe they were measuring the 120dB directly in front of the speaker. Thank god I wasn't in the room at the time because the little trickster amplifier they were running at the time was in major clipping which made me leave the room. However the amp was kind of clever Klipsch thought they would try a sly one and mount a modern chip amp under the chassis of a tube amp. The sound quality didn't measure up in anyway which I'm was happy about1.gif Could you imagine how hard it would be to live with Trey around here if there little skeem had worked 2.gif

Craig

Pic #17 is Matt Spitnagle (left) and me, Andy Wickham (right), electrical engineers at Klipsch.

Matt was the tube amp trickster. He debated running the Class D thought the tube phono stage, which would have limited power to ~30W and given soft clipping, with a more "tube-ish" sound What you listened to, was just the switching amp. Maybe Matt will post some of the amp details.

I thought the little battery power Tripath Class D was a good demo.

Maybe next time around we should do double blind amp listening tests, at _reasonable_ levels. Yes, class D's sound just as bad as solid state amps when they clip. But in the ABX test, clipping would not be allowed.

Me? Give me a big SS amp any day! 9.gif <:stir pot:>

I should probably add more to my post concerning the THX Ultra II's. When we demo'd them in the HI mixer room I thought they were a bust, not real noticeable improvement. Yeah some bass sounded deeper but nothing remarkable. Now when we listened to them in the set up at Klipsch with the 3 LS front and 2 BK rear they were very noticeable. The HT application really showed them off. You felt the punch all the way in the back of the room. I think the room at HI would and did make just about everything sound bad. When they ran the SPL meter the meter was pointed almost directly at the squawker of the LS appx one meter away, no separate monitor was set up for the THX Ultra IIs. Anyway they just turned up the volume of the music playing and did not run a bass tone test. So IMO those measurements were garbage if you were evaluating the subs and in that environment I dont see how you really could. I mean the acoustics in there was basically one big standing wave. Now at Klipsch I dont think we exceeded 90 db for any demo, but those subs sounded better with folded bass horns than any I have previously heard. Most of my previous audition have lead me to believe there really is no good sub for the Heritage line of speaker but these came as close as I have heard. I should add as a caveat I have no idea where they were crossed. It may well have been the subs did all the bass duty below about 80 HZ then as well. But it they did seem to do well in an HT environment. So Q-Mans comment about not really knowing how well they actually keep up hat high SPLs is very accurate assumption.