Finishing your plaque

Sheila (my girlfriend) overheard someone saying that they were going to spraypaint their plaque and sand off the top layer to reveal the top layer of wood so only the inset would be left painted.

Anyone here know who that was? Because it sounds like they have a little more wood-experience than I do when it come to staining. Also, what grit sand paper should I use?

I'd love to do this and stain the remaining wood the same as my 20's.

That was probably me. I said I would spray paint the front black (flat black) and sand the front. I would start with 100 grit to remove the paint, and then move up to 220 and then 320 before application of stain and varnish. I used that technique for an 8th grade wood shop project (geez that was in 1973) hopefully I remember correctly!

----------------

On 6/27/2005 12:49:40 PM J.4knee wrote:

I would like to know what could be used to closely match the Klipsch copper color. Preferably a stain if possible.

----------------

I wonder if you could take out one of the woofers and take it to Home Depot (or wherever) and they can scan the color to come up with a formula. I know they do this for paint so it might be possible for stain.

I just put the second application of Mahogony stain on my plaque, the first time I didn't let it soak in long enough so it came out too light.

Pics to follow...

Here's a few in time sequence:

This is after first sanding with 100 grit.

IMG_0702.jpg

Here's 1/2 way through sanding with 150 grit.

IMG_0704.jpg

Finished sanding with 180 grit (all I had exept 1500).

IMG_0705.jpg

After the second application of stain is applied and not yet wiped off. Man I hope this works out! Have to run to get a different urethane (Minwax says don't use Polycrylic (sp) with Red Mahogony). Maybe I'll just use linseed oil.1.gif

IMG_0710.jpg

Hard to see but here's the way it turned out before finishing. That streek in the middle wasn't me rubbing to hard but yet some plywood glue that seaped through and wouldn't take hardly any stain.

IMG_0714.jpg

----------------

On 6/27/2005 10:42:58 PM Seadog wrote:

Tom,

Nice job. Based on your photos, I think I will go for a light stain to keep a high contrast.

----------------

I kinda agree with ya so I sanded off what I could.

It's only got one coat of satin polyurethane on it and it's still a little wet but here it is.

IMG_0716.jpg

• Moderators

Very nice! Has a cool "rustic" look to it. I'll have to figure out what to do with mine. I'll see if I can get our ID guys to paint them with official cone and cabinet colors 9.gif

I have decided I will not be touching mine. I am going to take it to "Wood Art Co", the local wood crafting shop near me. They do all the wood work for Lucas Arts & many other larger studios. The owner is a good friend of mine.

----------------

On 6/29/2005 10:02:53 AM Amy Unger wrote:

Very nice! Has a cool "rustic" look to it. I'll have to figure out what to do with mine. I'll see if I can get our ID guys to paint them with official cone and cabinet colors
9.gif

----------------

Of which line??? Heritage? Reference? Legend? Synergy? Pro-Media??? 9.gif

Bill

----------------

On 6/29/2005 10:08:09 AM cyclonecj wrote:

I have decided I will not be touching mine. I am going to take it to "Wood Art Co", the local wood crafting shop near me. They do all the wood work for Lucas Arts & many other larger studios. The owner is a good friend of mine.

----------------

That's cheating!!!