Anyone seen War of the Worlds yet? Reports?

m00n

----------------

On 7/6/2005 3:44:31 PM Amy Unger wrote:

I thought I'd read somewhere that this movie follows the original story pretty closely, so it wouldn't be Speilberg's fault if the ending is rushed, right?

----------------

Well it's not necessarily the fact that the explanation was too abrupt and left many moviegoers scratching their heads in bewilderment, but moreso the fact that they did not allow us, the audience, to savor mankind's victory. We were still so busy figuring out just what happened when--

SMASHCUT TO BLACK.

Credit sequence rolls.

Speilberg definately knows how to grip you as there were many tension filled scenes. On the other hand I hated the whole Tim Robbins scene with it having a bit of a pedophile overtone, pointless and annoying. I also thought it was stupid to take over the earth by killing one person at a time, seems a bit lame. And for those who remember the grenade scene with about 4 people pulling on one of his arms, how did he pull the pins on them.

And as many have already mentioned, the ending was too quick and uneventful. B+ for tension, C- for story.

I think Speilburg wanted to craft a modern 50's style version of the movie, cultish, if you will. He said he wanted to show "Americans in exile" streaming helpless down abandoned freeways like Parisians leaving Paris in WWII. Where some of us wanted more he apparently felt less was in order...time will tell.

----------------

On 7/6/2005 5:27:31 PM shiva wrote:

And for those who remember the grenade scene with about 4 people pulling on one of his arms, how did he pull the pins on them(?)

----------------

With his mouth. They showed him spitting out the pin.

I saw this one last night and thought it was a pretty good flick. I agree with colterphoto1, there were some exceptional scenes with tremendous amounts of tension. I found myself figuratively on the edge of my seat for long stretches of the movie. On the other hand, there were scenes that just didn't quite seem normal, or true-to-life. Special effects were very well done, the acting by the kids great and I thought it was worth the $8.50 I had to spend to see it.

However, I also agree that the ending was a bit abrupt and should have been drawn out a bit more. I give it one thumbs up...

David

----------------

On 7/6/2005 2:24:01 PM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

On 7/6/2005 7:33:00 AM gcoker wrote:

Ok I'll go over to the other camp. I did not care for the movie.

The ending was reminiscing of Signs. The basement sceen was

way too long. And tom cruise was a puss. Oh and the son showing up

at the end..right. Save your money and go see Batman.

----------------

I wanted to see FAR more military might. 8 Hummers and 1 tank does not represent our military. Where was the Airforce?

----------------

Did you liternally miss the insane amount of apachie helicopters that came in, along with a dozen f-16's. There was only about a gallizion missles being letoff from the air!

• 1 month later...

Yawn. It was an ok check-your brain at the door flick, but what about the EMP? It aparently knocked out everthing, including the watch that Tom's character had on, what about the computer in the Dodge minivan? I guess that most people won't care about this, but it makes me think they hired the same technical advisors that made the Slow and the Bogus.

I won't be rushing to the store to buy this movie.

I liked it--Tom was good--

When the machines were killing people it was first rate horror. Awesome and frightening power.

I agree with many of the comments here, though-- the Tim Robbins segment slowed the movie to a crawl, there should have been alot more show of military force, and the end was just too Lifetime.

I was surprised how many elements of the original movie from the 50's were in this one mostly to its detriment. The eyeball on a cord in Tim Robbins' basement was true to the original, but it reallt wasn't updated. It was more cute than menacing.

The original used the A-bomb, and after failing that, the characters were almost preparing for the end of the world, which seemed ominous. This new version seemed to end too quickly when the machines just started to fail.

Those complaints aside, its pretty darn entertaining--

Michael is exactly right!

The logical inconsistencies of the movie made it almost completely impossible to suspend your disbelief and just go with the story!

Impulse weapons vaporize the smallest electrical conductors and scale up depending upon the strength of the emf pulse! So we start off by seeing even his watch stop and then jump to the concept of the car stopping because of a fried solenoid while all of the micro electronics in the car continue to function! Yeah right! Hellllooooo!

In fact is seems that only the things that contribute to Spielberg making a statement fail to operate, but everything else miraculously works if Tom needs them to work. How convenient!

And Spielberg has used the SAME 'behind the object through the aquarium light' trick from day one! You would think that someone with access to the resources he has would develop at least one other FX trick! Or at least hire someone else to do so!

And I am so tired of the clichéd rocket scientist little kid who plays the bi-polar savant slash lunatic! They should have given her to the aliens first! Of course that would have shortened the movie substantially as the aliens would have done anything to give her back! Or perhaps that was what was supposed to supply the element of horror!? Just like the whiny @ss little girl in Jurassic Park who can't seem to stop screaming long enough to breath who sits down in front of a Mac in 1993 and says "Oh, UNIX!". The same insipid nonsense!

Oh, and I guess we're not supposed to ask how his son magically gets to his wife's parents before they do! ...Perhaps the aliens gave him a ride! I guess it never hurts to ask![:P]

The name Spielberg should be enough to warn us all that this will be just another variation on a theme of the same tired formula nonsense. Even his movies are lame parodies of his lame movies!

Some nice effects, if you can just block out the rest of the insipid non sequitur nonsense!

The one real bright spot was that AMD sponsored a special private screening complete with drinks and food! Then the movie started! Oh well, you can't have it all![:P]

At least movies like the sci-fi romp Buckaroo Banzai have a story where you can suspend your disbelief and run with it - along with the amazing portrayal of Dr. Emilio Lizardo by John Lithgow!- such a wonderful departure from his perpetually overly effeminate touchy feely portrayals everywhere else.

And we discuss this but no thread regarding Dark City!? Nor do we discuss the DVD releases (finally!) of Bringing Up Baby, various Marx Brothers titles, Adventures of Robin Hood, Sea Hawk & Captain Blood, the Thin Man series, Have Gun Will Travel, and other current releases that exhiubit real class and where, unlike the seeming majority of new movies where a subwoofer effectively replaces the need for 90% of the cast as well as 100% of the character and plot development!

In any event, I hope you had fun while watching it! But I certainly won't be buying War of the Worlds!